Expatriates Go Undercover In Patong

Rinrada

Brits helping out......Good or bad idea...from todays TIMES... :o

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1895011,00.html (with thanks)

From Daniel McGrory in Phuket

BRITONS living on a Thai resort island that was damaged by the tsunami have joined an undercover team of volunteers to help to trap sex tourists preying on youngsters who survived the disaster.

This “foreign legion” comprises European expatriates who infiltrate bars around Patong Beach, which the authorities have been trying to purge of paedophiles since the tragedy last December.

J.T a 37-year-old systems analyst and one of the volunteers, said: “We can visit places where the police can’t go to look for under-age youngsters being used for sex.”

He and two others from the 60-strong force were dressed in T-shirts and shorts and sitting in a dimly lit bar after midnight, no more than 500 yards from the refurbished seafront.

While most of the customers were watching teenage girls who were dancing on a bar in the backstreets of the Bangla district, the undercover squad was keeping an eagle eye on one patron who was chatting to a young street vendor in a torn dress who was selling chewing gum. She looked to be no more than eight years old.

Some of the civilian recruits work part time as volunteers for the Thai Tourist Police Division, but they are not armed and have no powers of arrest, so they call on officers to deal with any tourist they suspect of soliciting for under-age sex. The volunteers’ role is not without risk because a number of the bars are controlled by local gangs.

O.B, an Italian photographer and police volunteer, said:

“Since these civilian teams have been operating, the bar owners won’t risk using anyone under-age because they know what will happen if they are caught.” He described his undercover work last week in a gay bar, where an under-age boy was found among the dancers.

The club was shut down immediately .

Local officials are eager to improve the unsavoury reputation of Patong before Thailand becomes the focus of attention in the West, as the first anniversary of the Boxing Day disaster approaches.

More than 300 people — holidaymakers and local residents — are believed to have been killed by the tidal wave at this resort.

In the immediate aftermath Thai ministers vowed to close down the sex bars.

G.T, of the charity World Vision International, said: “The intentions were honourable, but the club scene in Patong makes too much money for it to go quietly.” He said that the Government had poured millions into rebuilding the infrastructure of Patong to encourage tourists to return.

There are concerns among aid organisations that the anniversary of the tsunami will attract a wave of bogus charity workers. World Vision has produced a series of posters for schools, children’s groups and refugee centres, advising youngsters, their parents and teachers what to do if strangers come offering gifts.

Mr T said: “There have been some dodgy groups pitching up here, claiming to be from all sorts of charities and offering gifts and help for children, and Thai communities don’t know what to do. It is part of their culture not to be rude to guests and to be grateful if offered a gift.”

A Greek visitor who is awaiting trial allegedly tried to “adopt” half a dozen youngsters from a refuge and take them to what he claimed was a charity that he ran in northern Thailand.

He had no documents to support his claims, so a suspicious teacher called in the police.

There are no figures for how many workers in the Patong sex industry perished in the tsunami or fled shortly afterwards, but they were soon replaced.

Unicef, the UN children’s agency, has given warning that some of the new recruits have contracted HIV.

...abbreviated

Good if they find any Pedos, but in my time here, I have never seen any. I must admit, my time in Patong bars is well over, but even back then I never saw anything.

I bet all of the volunteers are short blokes, with small man syndrome :o

BTW, the flower sellers are run by a team in Phuket, it would not ever happen - I think???

anyway..........

Well, can't they just do as normal people do when they see something suspicious? i'e. go to the police and report it.

That is what I thought they were doing?

Good luck to them, if it works then all the more power, if not atlest they tried.

underage sex needs to be gotten rid of!!!

Smells like sensationalist journalism from a bored reporter to me.

Long as the volunteers dont start recruiting retired petty crims and wearing blackshirts and poncing around trying to look important.

I am sure a decent media campaign warning people to be on the alert would work better.

Well, can't they just do as normal people do when they see something suspicious? i'e. go to the police and report it.

That is what I thought they were doing?

Good luck to them, if it works then all the more power, if not atlest they tried.

underage sex needs to be gotten rid of!!!

The police are already 'closing' bars for under age sex offerings.

The problem is that they are allowed to re-open a few days later after having paid some fines and the 'offer' is again available.

Also the 'kids' are merely told off and not helped back to their countrysides

Obviously they are back in the trade in no time

It is 'easy' to pick-up a farang looking for under age sex, it is not so easy to really help the poor kids not ending or being kept in the trade

Rescuing a kid from a bar will not bring limelight or fame from the media !

The problem is that they are allowed to re-open a few days later after having paid some fines and the 'offer' is again available.

It is 'easy' to pick-up a farang looking for under age sex, it is not so easy to really help the poor kids not ending or being kept in the trade

I agree with most of what you say, but are you saying, a bar in Phuket has been closed down for underage girls?

I think you might be wrong in your Geography?? :o

I agree with most of what you say, but are you saying, a bar in Phuket has been closed down for underage girls?

A bar has been closed by 'out of town' police order for 3 months for 'offering' under age kids within the premises.

It was back in business 3 days later after a few fines were paid to the local police. The kids are still available to cstomers but are kept outside of the premises.

I only know of one case, there must be more and I believe that is where the problem lies and where the problem should be resolved.

Not easy but long term preventon is better than short term reaction.

I agree that action against 'predators' is also needed but this will not solve the local underlining problem.

Long as the volunteers dont start recruiting retired petty crims and wearing blackshirts and poncing around trying to look important.

Well they have recently changed thier uniforms from all white to all black paramilitary style..

As these guys have no rights of detention or arrest why do they carry handcuffs on thier utility belt (with mace) ???

I personally am a little leery of these hobby bobbys.. To my mind anyone that wants authority so bad they will volenteer to work for free probably shouldnt have it..

Also work permit questions anyone ??

Should wear brown to match the color of their noses.

Well they have recently changed thier uniforms from all white to all black paramilitary style..

As these guys have no rights of detention or arrest why do they carry handcuffs on thier utility belt (with mace) ???

I personally am a little leery of these hobby bobbys.. To my mind anyone that wants authority so bad they will volenteer to work for free probably shouldnt have it..

Should wear brown to match the color of their noses.

and their lips. :o

A bar has been closed by 'out of town' police order for 3 months for 'offering' under age kids within the premises.

It was back in business 3 days later after a few fines were paid to the local police. The kids are still available to cstomers but are kept outside of the premises.

I only know of one case, there must be more and I believe that is where the problem lies and where the problem should be resolved.

I agree that action against 'predators' is also needed but this will not solve the local underlining problem.

I was talking with the "powers" of Patong yesterday and I was told that this is not true and no one has heard of this bar you are talking about - please state the name of the bar.

I dont think it was Karon.. IIRC it was a bar in Paradise that had young boys.. Its been busted before also with the same owners (thai).. Why are they not in jail !!!

In all my time here I have never seen anything with underage working girls (or boys) but Paradise isnt on my staggering list..

PATONG: Kathu Police raided the Uncle Charlie’s Boys nightclub on Soi Paradise last Saturday night and arrested two employees on charges of pandering, including arranging the provision of sexual services by boys under 15 years of age.

The bar owners, a father-and-son team, were later arrested on six charges, including violations of the Penal Code and Labour Act.

Police have also filed a request with the Governor’s office to close down the club permanently.

Pol Lt Pratuang Pholmana of Kathu Police said the raid followed an operation by undercover female officers who entered the bar posing as customers seeking to buy sexual favors.

In the bar they found some 20 alleged male prostitutes, some lined up on a dancing stage wearing only white shorts affixed with employee numbers.

Using banknotes with pre-recorded serial numbers, the officers paid for sexual services from six boys under 18 years of age, including two 14-year-olds, and then made the arrests.

Police arrested Ritt Tangsab, 40, and Direk Jongcharoen, 23, on procuring charges as defined in Section 282 of the Penal Code. When it involves prostitutes not over the age of 15, the offense is punishable by a maximum jail sentence of 20 years and a maximum fine of 40,000 baht.

The fact that the boys willingly engaged in prostitution has little bearing on the charges, including such Labour Act violations as employing service staff under 18 years of age and failing to keep personnel files, he said.

Both men carried the government’s “bail insurance” and were released on bonds of 200,000 baht on Saturday.

Police later arrested bar owner Tawee Kingjampa, 59, and his son Tiwa, 35, who were not in the venue at the time of the raid. They were charged with one violation of the Penal Code, for procuring, and five violations of the Labour Act.

After an initial court hearing yesterday, both were released on bail, the amount of which was not disclosed.

Lt Pratuang said that the pair denied the charges and refused to comment further, saying they would speak on the matter only in court.

One of the arresting officers, Pol Maj Serm Kwannimit, said the arrest came as part of a government crackdown on bars that provide child prostitutes to customers.

Kathu Police Superintendent Pol Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen said an inspection of bars in Kathu revealed Uncle Charlie’s Boys was the only one offering the services of underage male prostitutes.

Kathu Police have filed a request that the bar be closed permanently. The decision as to whether to close, and for how long, rests with the Governor, who has yet to inform Kathu Police of his decision.

I'd volunteer if there was a uniform comprising black leather boots, jodhpurs, a Sam Browne belt and Cap. Some sort of firearm would be useful too.

I'd need a riding crop to slap against my thigh too as I strut around undercover, looking like I own the place.

I was talking with the "powers" of Patong yesterday and I was told that this is not true and no one has heard of this bar you are talking about - please state the name of the bar.

Tornado,

The ''powers'' of Patong you talked to are obviously not very well informed.

If they are the 'real' power, it strenghthen my argument that not much is done to stop the 'offering'

LivinLOS seems to have found some more detailed information

Edited by Krub

Yes you are right in a way... Im not sure why, but I asked if any underage girls blah balh etc. I should of said children and then seen what report I got. Typical beurocrats, they only answer the question, not the gist of the question.

Im saddened you were right.

Yes you are right in a way... Im not sure why, but I asked if any underage girls blah balh etc. I should of said children and then seen what report I got. Typical beurocrats, they only answer the question, not the gist of the question.

Im saddened you were right.

Yes very sad

Wish I could help but I do not think (unfortunately) that the black uniformed farangs will help much.

It is the underlying readiness of the offering that must be dealt with right from the source in the countryside villages where those kids (boys or girls) originate.

The parents, village elders, family, bar owners sourcing them out, etc etc.

I do not defend the farang who goes to a bar but if it is legal (and it is) to enter a bar where sex is offerred it is quite 'easy' to bust the farang (how is she/he to know the age of the kids ?), more difficult to stop the offering.

I'd volunteer if there was a uniform comprising black leather boots, jodhpurs, a Sam Browne belt and Cap. Some sort of firearm would be useful too.

I'd need a riding crop to slap against my thigh too as I strut around undercover, looking like I own the place.

STOP, the Sam Browne belt and cap are a no no in law enforcement!

I have a Colonel Klink outfit (comes with moniker and whip) or a Schultz outfit if you need a bigger size. (comes with voice activated Colonel Hogan quips).

When will you be reporting for duty?

Theres actually a few topics in play here..

Firstly is the issue of child protection and child prostitution.. I am sure everyone (with any ethics or morals at all) would agree this is very important and any actions counter to the protection of children should be stampted on as hard as is possible.

Then we have this piece of reporting posted in the first post.. It seems like the usual trash reporting hinting at sex tourism, hinting at guys hanging out in darkened bars after midnight (ohh lordy), hinting that a conversation with a flower seller on the street means your red flagged, hinting at vigilantee actions, hinting at all kinds of stuff without any real facts or anything to back it up. To me it just reads like the usual garbage.

It doesnt make clear whether this mystery group is the same as the volenteer police or not but it sounds like it.

As I have said in other posts these guys worry me a bit, I am sure the intentions are good but no one clearly understands or knows what thier powers are. So if someone makes a grab at me and resist am I ressisting arrest or using reasonable force ?? Why if they have no powers of detention do they carry handcuffs ?? What training in the use of handcuffs and mace have they had ?? what rights can a person pursue who is wrongfully detained or injured through these peoples actions ?? How come these volenteers dont need work permits yet tsunami volenteers do ?? Are these police volenteers going to be watching for 'smaller infractions' like bars open late or girls dancing on bar tops ?? Are they going to need a free beer also to stay on thier sweet side to not report a late open bar ?? Whats the purpose of thier task and where does the line of discretion get drawn ??

As I have stated I think anyone that wants to put a uniform on and strutt around town is probably not someone who should be in authority.. One was spotted recently popping into Suzy Wongs to monitor the ages (presumably it wasnt just for a perve) with a load of ribbons and medals on his chest.. Sorry but that strikes me as really pathetic.

The stated aim is simply to provide translation assistance to the real police and be a friendly farang face for tourists, sadly this doesnt seem to be how its worked out in Pattaya and if that is the aim then why the paramilitary outfits and handcuffs etc ?? Why not a nice bright blazer style uniform and a desk / station halfway up Bangla ?? Why the spot checks through gogos ??