dotx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nienke #16

Thank you,Nienke, for being so proactive.

I have read and continue to peruse your generous contributions on vaccinations and advocating a raw food or Paleo diet. My pets are the better for it.

Cheers.

#51 'we give ours heartguard for heartworm so useing vormec plus as well be ok or would i have to stop heartguard.'

Hi Meatboy, I recommend Vormec for the prevention of the noted pet ailments. Vormec has been doing an effective preventative prophylaxis for at least five years now.

While overmedication is likely as bad as no medication; to be on the safe side, once you take yours for the annual rabies shot, have the vet check for heartworm; or sooner. I would not change to solely Vormec until you have the vet test because this test is advised "If the dog is switched from one type of heartworm prevention to another" [ http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/resourcesforyou/animalhealthliteracy/ucm188470.htm ]

You may also wish to further brush up on the topic of Heartworm and its prevention here:

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet-owner-resources/faqs.html

and:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=checking+for+heartworm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here's trusting this all works for you and yours. thumbsup.gif

True: 'Different dogs seem to react to different methods of tick control.'

You may have to do 4 to 5 weekly injections to rid your pets of the current crop, before moving on to a monthly tablet. I once found, after years of monthly tablets, 2 ticks on the floor beside my dog and gave him another tablet in addition to the monthly tablet, but only once. The idea is to keep all medications to the absolute minimum. Probably like you, I place myself in my dog's mind.

Different dogs seem to react to different methods of tick control. All my dogs are on monthly Ivermec.... and I am fighting the biggest tick outbreak I've seen in five years. One of the dogs only has ticks on the ears; the other four have them all over, though mainly on the head, upper back, and under the front legs.

Suggest you keep your pets from roaming, where just casual meetings with other dogs is enough for ticks to jump ship onto yours; and by keeping them inside a walled compound where the grass is kept cut short. 'Ya Malay' is good as it is short-bladed and hugs the ground whereas other grasses have tall blades which ticks tend to use as a jumping platform onto your pets. May have to spray the vicinity first as well as denude your pets of any body ticks.

BTW, the VORMEC PLUS (ivermectin tablets) are beef-flavored so my dogs sniff first then chew readily.

Well Sally got sick, so took her to the vet. Running a temperature, gave her an injection and pills. but told to keep her dry. So the spray is out. Now on Ivermectin. We've another dog who is a bit skittish, hates being touched. So got a bit of chicken leg. Sliced open and inserted the pill. After 5 minutes turning the leg in her mouth. She isolated the pill, spat it out and ate the chicken. Plan B tomorrow, when I know what plan B is 555

It's usually better to give something small so if it's chicken cut a small piece off and try to wrap it. Ham slices are good as it's easy to wrap the tablet. There's several other good suggestions here like cocktail sausages. I used to use a piece of cheap cheddar cheese so long as it isn't too crumbly but as that's difficult to find here those cheese slices are great. You can mould the cheese completely around the tab so covering any smell.