Non O Extension Based On Marriage

Hi people, I’m a new member and have spent hours searching for information with no luck so far

I've been in Thailand on the initial 3 month period of my non O marriage visa which is due to expire on the 23/01/2012. I’m a 29 yr old New Zealander, Been married to a Thai national for nearly a year now. A good genuine couple. We have just had a little boy in BKK who qualifies for NZ and Thai citizenship. My wife has a good job and I also meet the financial requirement with savings in a Thai account.

Problem.. I can’t seem to find any clear info on what specific documents are required for my extension. A good friend was applying for his work permit and kindly asked for me at the information counter and the lady replied with "marriage certificate and visa form". obviously the need more than that. I have a rough idea on what to take but need to know some specifics.

Would greatly appreciate if somebody with experience could give me a clear list of what specific documents they took.

Copy’s or genuine? signed? how many?

House book, rent agreement?

photos? etc.

Does my wife need to come with for an interview?

Cheers in advance

You live in Bangkok? You need proof of financials so what is needed will depend on what method you use. If 400k in bank account in your name only for 2 months the original passbook and copies and letter from bank of account balance that day from downstairs is normally required here. Your passport date page/visa/arrival stamp and departure cards/copies. TM.7 form filled out with attached 4x7cm photo taken within last six months. Marriage certificate and copy and the ledger entry document (should be current to prove marriage still valid). Wife will need ID card/copy and home register copy. If not living there a lease or such should be available. Photos in home/of clothing hung together/outside home with house number. If I forgot anything perhaps someone doing recently can add. As you have to return 30 days later you can come back to provide anything you do not have but best to have a file with you with everything you can think of. Yes your wife must go and all copies must be signed by the person involved.

I'm getting ready to apply for my initial Non O visa. I can't answer your question, but I am following the answers you get here.

I have a question for you. The account with at least 400K, can it/ does it need to be in a bank in Thailand or can it / does it need to be in an account in your home country?

I will be returning to Thailand in a couple of weeks and would love to avoid the extra charges U.S. banks are charging for all forigne transactions now.

William

I'm getting ready to apply for my initial Non O visa. I can't answer your question, but I am following the answers you get here.

I have a question for you. The account with at least 400K, can it/ does it need to be in a bank in Thailand or can it / does it need to be in an account in your home country?

I will be returning to Thailand in a couple of weeks and would love to avoid the extra charges U.S. banks are charging for all forigne transactions now.

William

You need to decide what you are trying to do. If you just want a visa you do not need the money in a bank account. If you will be trying to obtain a one year "Exetnsion of Stay" the 400k will need to be in a Thai bank account in your name only. Some banks such as Bank of America allow ACH transfers with reasonable cost, or even a single Swift transfer isn't very expensive.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

• Like 1

You live in Bangkok? You need proof of financials so what is needed will depend on what method you use. If 400k in bank account in your name only for 2 months the original passbook and copies and letter from bank of account balance that day from downstairs is normally required here. Your passport date page/visa/arrival stamp and departure cards/copies. TM.7 form filled out with attached 4x7cm photo taken within last six months. Marriage certificate and copy and the ledger entry document (should be current to prove marriage still valid). Wife will need ID card/copy and home register copy. If not living there a lease or such should be available. Photos in home/of clothing hung together/outside home with house number. If I forgot anything perhaps someone doing recently can add. As you have to return 30 days later you can come back to provide anything you do not have but best to have a file with you with everything you can think of. Yes your wife must go and all copies must be signed by the person involved.

Hi lopburi. Thanks for your help. If you could just clarify on your comments below

400k in bank account in your name only for 2 months the original passbook and copies and letter from bank of account balance that day from downstairs is normally required here. Do you mean to organise a letter from the bank branch manager a few days before then print out the balance the same day from an ATM?

Marriage certificate and copy and the ledger entry document (should be current to prove marriage still valid). We were married last April, is this soon enough or would I need to prove were still married?

Wife will need ID card/copy and home register copy. I assume they only need the signed copies like when first applying for the non o. Will they need the originals of anything? Do they hold onto anything important.

I assume they give some kind of extension while processing as my visa will expire before then?

Cheers in advance

A letter from the bank with the passbook updated on the same day showing the same balance.

Some immigration Offices want the letter dated the same day as your application. Most accept the day before.

The ledger entry given to you when Married should be ok.

They usually like to look at the originals but do not keep any of them.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Return in 30 days to get your extension.

As said most offices accept day or two before if account is same which they may ask for a transaction - but in Bangkok it is easy to just get the bank letter downstairs for almost any Thai bank as they have branch office there and are familiar with the requirement. Yes it is a letter signed by a branch manager of account balance.

For person talking about foreign exchange fees there are credit cards that charge none but very few. For most the best transfer system is to Bangkok Bank accounts from USA or UK as there domestic transfer systems can be used for sending there own currency and exchange done in Bangkok at current rates with often no charge other than a small fee at foreign Bangkok Bank branch and 200-500 baht (1/4 of 1 percent) in Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Went to apply for my extension heavily prepared with all the above and more. Alas there was one more thing, they now require the original statutory declaration from the embassy, translated and certified, Just lucky I held onto that. Apparently some people have been forging marriage certificates.. After another long drive across town with a screaming baby, it was all sorted. Returned 1 month later to receive stamp which only took about 10 minutes. Next time will be a breeze. Would highly recommend to keep a well organised folder with multiple copies.

I just got my first non-O married to a thai visa application processed. I still have the 3 week wait before final notification. However, we went to the Sriracha office and we had to provide duplicate copies of all of the following:

original USA marriage certificate

my Thai wife's id and address book

all pages of my passport with thai stamps

my address book in Thailand

my bank book

signed bank letter certifying deposit in bank

map to house

TM-7. DO NOT USE the form on the internet site unless you can print it on both sides of one sheet of paper.

passport sized photos on each copy of tm-7

photos of us in front of house with address showing

two non-family members and they needed two copies of their id's and address books

What a pain but at least it is done. I am assuming the final approval will be no problem.

Take more than you need for the first application. Duplicates of everything. We had to make two trips because of not having the witnesses and no copies of the passport pages on our first visit. At least the witnesses is a one time event. The rest has to be provide for every annual extension. I used the word extension because I don't want to get disciplined for using the word "renewal". :>)

Chok Dee, krap.

I would like one more clarification please.

"(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year."

Could this 400K/800K Baht be deposited in Thailand itself when opening the account OR is it mandatory that this money comes direct from a foreign bank?

Went to apply for my extension heavily prepared with all the above and more. Alas there was one more thing, they now require the original statutory declaration from the embassy, translated and certified, Just lucky I held onto that. Apparently some people have been forging marriage certificates.. After another long drive across town with a screaming baby, it was all sorted. Returned 1 month later to receive stamp which only took about 10 minutes. Next time will be a breeze. Would highly recommend to keep a well organised folder with multiple copies.

I remember in the first or second year of extension that I was asked for the "Affirmation to Marry" document but the Immigration Officer was OK when it was mentioned that I don't have it. In hindsight keeping a copy should have been done but it was never considered as it wasn’t one of the stated requirements for extensions.

My wife more recently enquired about obtaining a copy and was told that neither the Ministry of Foreign Affairs nor the District Office would have this document anymore as it was so long ago so if it were to be requested in future extension applications then I would have no idea how it could be resolved. We do however get a copy of the form that comes with the marriage certificate updated every year by the District Office to confirm that we are still married and you would think this would be sufficient.

On the mentioned document highlighted above, I am not sure how an original could be produced since isn't this retained by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

They are two very different places and provide different service (visa and extensions). The 400k/40k is an extension of stay requirement so Immigration office will require one or the other. For visa it is what they set as required and do not believe they would be interested in trying to confirm income if they have a bank deposit requirement but suspect you would have to ask directly.