Renting Out Uk Property While Living In Thailand

I'm not British but perhaps my Canadian experience will be helpful.

I had a house there that I used sometimes and then rented out. I managed to have a next door neighbour as my agent, so there was always someone close by to see what went on and to organize repairs and maintenance.

Just last summer, I sold the house and invested the money.

That was one of the best moves I've ever made. I now actually have a larger income from the investment return than I was able to get from the rental of the house. I no longer have to worry about municipal taxes, repairs, maintenance, what's going on there and if they might tear out some of the inside, just how carefully my agent is actually watching the place, no financial or emotional worries about the place at all. I don't have to worry about the place being empty and me having to pay utilities, and search about for another tenant.

As I said, this was my Canadian situation, so perhaps doesn't apply to yours. But I'd say save yourself the hassles and invest your money rather than buying property to rent.

This is the best advice you could get on the subject. British law is probably even more biased against the landlord than Canadian law. Many tennants will take out and out liberties especially if they know you have gone abroad and do you want to be in a constant state of worry, uncertainty and concern about your income while in Thailand. Forget students, they will always have one radical who will influence the rest that they will be much better off by becoming squatters rather than tennants.