Thinking To Buy A Car In Thailand, But Then Something Stops Me

I was thinking to buy a new Honda Jazz in bangkok, when I searched information around I found this website compare about the money to take taxi and to buy a car.

http://www.malaysiaminilover.com/cost-to-own-a-car-vs-cost-to-take-taxi

I am in bangkok due to job relocation, I won't be here for more than three years, what would you suggest? buy a car or like what the article said take taxi is seems better? Need no go through the hassle to drive in Bangkok heavy jam...

In this option , meaning you are here not longer then 3 years , yes taxis are better and not worth the effort of buying/driving a car , and espescially a new one . A 2nd hand may be better value but you will not save money unless you plan more km then in your example .

Also something to consider , driving in BKK is not exactly fun .

In this option , meaning you are here not longer then 3 years , yes taxis are better and not worth the effort of buying/driving a car , and espescially a new one . A 2nd hand may be better value but you will not save money unless you plan more km then in your example .

Also something to consider , driving in BKK is not exactly fun .

As a 6 month newbie as well I came here thinking yes get a car.... very quickly decided that was silly option... when you walk down Sukhumvit and cover 3 blocks and the taxi you just got out of is still 2 blocks back in traffic you realise that a car is an exercise in frustration. Now a motorbike, thats a difernet thing.

Depends on: where exactly in BKK you will be and how many kms you will drive. Yes if in the central business district it makes no sense, but on the outskirts its ok to have a car. We travel 60 kms a day and also make regular trips out of bkk, so a car is more desirable. You just get in and go where and when you want. In bkk, taxis also don't necessarily want take you where you want to go, and getting one on occasion can be difficult. So if your right in town and don't plan to make regular long distance trips, it won't be worth it. Just the insurance on a jazz could equate to several months travelling in a taxi.

It all depends on where you live, how much you will need to drive for your job or pleasure and whether you have a family that needs to be driven anywhere.

I've lived here for 5 years and wouldn't even consider buying a car. I also wouldn't consider living too far from a train (MRT/BTS) station.

sezze, yes driving in BKK isn't fun.

monty, motorbike is more convenience, but it is kinda dangerous for me.

culicine, insurance is what I am thinking, I get a quote for 15000baht a year for full cover and 2500baht for the road tax. that seems expensive for a small car.

whybother, I live in sukhumvit.

I guess from all the feedback it seems I don't really need a car.. The articles did bring up a lot of good point.

Buy it if your work pays for it.

Otherwise I agree with everyone else. Most BKKers don't need a car. Sitting in a taxi - who gets to fight the traffic instead of you - is not so bad.

I have a car and I still end up walking a bunch - it's faster!