An Uncontested Divorce Advice

ianmccaig

It is advisable to take a Thai translator with you to confirm that the Amphur divorce agreement papers actually state what you have verbally agreed...

When I divorced in 2008, I could speak good Thai, but not read it well. My divorce was uncontested and we verbally agreed with the Amphur officer that we would share joint and equal custody with our young son, but that for practical reasons he would live with my ex-wife. The Amphur officer asked me in Thai to confirm this and I clearly understood her and repeated our verbal agreement back to her.

It was only several years later when my written Thai had improved that I re-read my divorce agreement and discovered - to my horror - that the agreement gave sole custody of our son to my ex-wife.....

I have considered going to Court over this issue, but it would reopen 'old wounds', and I have never had any problems over access to my son, or having a say in his upbringing.

But it's a good reason nevertheless to take a Thai with you who can check what gets written down in the divorce papers.

Simon