Advice On Buying A Used Fortuner

pj123

We are shopping for a used automatic Fortuner with a maximum budget of 900,000. Preference is for a 4x4 model with cruise control. A few questions.

(1) Which of the 2005-6 models come with cruise control

(2) Is it worth considering converting a 2.7 petrol or 3.0 diesel to NCG.

(3) What to look out for during an inspection

(4) Is a "Book Service" something worth looking for (on one2car only 7 out of 151 Fortuners between 800,000-1,000,000 have a Book Service).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used Fortuners are seriously overpriced IMO. Not worth my money in any way, without a solid history and not too many kms.

I regularly ride in a (taxi, between HH and airport) 2006 Fortuner, with just over 400.000 kms on the clock, and I'm not at all impressed.

Used Fortuners are seriously overpriced IMO. Not worth my money in any way, without a solid history and not too many kms.

I regularly ride in a (taxi, between HH and airport) 2006 Fortuner, with just over 400.000 kms on the clock, and I'm not at all impressed.

Agreed.

pj123, if you can stretch to one mil, why not consider Pajero Sport? Starting price is around there. Delivery is a couple of weeks. You get something new - no worries about history. Fresher looking than Fortuner too.

late 2008 and newer comes with cruise in top model and large brakes

2,7 can survive a CNG conversion, but you loose 3rd seat row for the huge CNG tank

without book service, its more complicated to find cars maintancehistory, and it is not likely to be genuine milage

what to look out for, same as all cars. previous wrecked or flooded, bunch of miles, worn out, wrong fuel used providing damaged fuelsystems or engine, lack of scheduled service/maintance/recalls.

NCBonus follows car so previous Insurance claims new owner pays for

Agreed.

pj123, if you can stretch to one mil, why not consider Pajero Sport? Starting price is around there. Delivery is a couple of weeks. You get something new - no worries about history. Fresher looking than Fortuner too.

i have had both fortuner and pajero at the same time

the fortuners a much better car

now i just have the fortuner and the pajero has gone........

theres a reason theres a six month wait for fortuner and pajero is 2 weeks...........

DONT. They are the Bar Girls Choise , a Posers Truck ,you look a Prat in one if your a Ferang. Get a Paj GT. Bloody Great Value, complete with a good Powerful Oiler.cheesy.gif

Some bargirls actually have brains you know. Maybe you associated with the wrong kind. licklips.gif Besides that, I agree.

Edited by Presto

Agreed.

theres a reason theres a six month wait for fortuner and pajero is 2 weeks...........

Perhaps like,that they had a tsunami in Japan and later on the factory in Thailand was flooded?

Agreed.

Perhaps like,that they had a tsunami in Japan and later on the factory in Thailand was flooded?

perhaps, but alas no

the Toyota factory in Thailand was not flooded and the Japanese tsunami made no difference at all

any other unfounded meanderings you want to share........

au contraire

i would be very impressed if it is still going well with 400,000 kms on the clock

i think you are entering Mercedes diesel territory to be still going strong with that many kilometres.....

au contraire

i would be very impressed if it is still going well with 400,000 kms on the clock

i think you are entering Mercedes diesel territory to be still going strong with that many kilometres.....

Interior worn threadbare, bouncy ride especially for the rear passengers (but thats from new I think), loud engine with audibly whistling turbo. Just serviced.

My point is, when you buy a used 2005 or 2006 Fortuner, how many kms does it have? And how many more pleasant will the new owner have on it, for the 900.000 he has to pay?

Edited by Presto

DONT. They are the Bar Girls Choise , a Posers Truck ,you look a Prat in one if your a Ferang. Get a Paj GT. Bloody Great Value, complete with a good Powerful Oiler.cheesy.gif

Obviously not the brightest crayon in the box to heed advise from :

DON'T They are the bar girls choice, a poseurs truck ,you look a pratt in one if you're a farang. Get a Paj GT, bloody great value, complete with a good powerful oiler .thumbsup.gif

au contraire

Interior worn threadbare, bouncy ride especially for the rear passengers (but thats from new I think), loud engine with audibly whistling turbo. Just serviced.

My point is, when you buy a used 2005 or 2006 Fortuner, how many kms does it have? And how many more pleasant will the new owner have on it, for the 900.000 he has to pay?

after 400,000 kms do you expect a diesel to be quiet?

or that the interior would be any different after being used as a taxi

if thats all thats wrong with it i would be seriously impressed, i expect the owner is too

i think you answered yourself, it seems to be capable of around 400,000 Kms

if you want to know how much a used car has really done then have the brain read, it retains the original mileage number even after its been clocked

otherwise only buy one with full service history at Toyota

mine has full service history and all the bills for everything its ever had attached to it

i know being that anal about it, will pay dividends when it comes time to sell it............

Edited by timekeeper

perhaps, but alas no

the Toyota factory in Thailand was not flooded and the Japanese tsunami made no difference at all

Allright they were not directly flooded but how about this

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-04-25-Toyota.htm

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/business/AJ2011110416559

perhaps, but alas no

Allright they were not directly flooded but how about this

http://www.usatoday....4-25-Toyota.htm

http://ajw.asahi.com...AJ2011110416559

correct, the Toyota factory was not flooded but it took you 30 minutes of your life googling to find these articles to try support your case?

you really should get out more........

on that happy note, i am going out, nothing more to see here, move along now................

Edited by timekeeper

correct, the Toyota factory was not flooded but it took you 30 minutes of your life googling to find these articles to try support your case?

on that happy note, i am going out, nothing more to see here, move along now................

Good on you,go out get drunk,you talk like one already.

Agreed.

Why is the Fortuner better?

late 2008 and newer comes with cruise in top model and large brakes

2,7 can survive a CNG conversion, but you loose 3rd seat row for the huge CNG tank

without book service, its more complicated to find cars maintancehistory, and it is not likely to be genuine milage

what to look out for, same as all cars. previous wrecked or flooded, bunch of miles, worn out, wrong fuel used providing damaged fuelsystems or engine, lack of scheduled service/maintance/recalls.

NCBonus follows car so previous Insurance claims new owner pays for

I never knew that about the NCBonus. So I guess I should call my insurance company before making a purchase to check the car's history. Will they have that information available to them?

Good on you,go out get drunk,you talk like one already.

i don't drink

talk like one what?

maybe you need to brush up on your english before posting again.........

Edited by sbk
flame removed

Agreed.

Why is the Fortuner better?

i have reported on this comparison before on TV

i have just tried to find it but can't navigate to the post using the new format

so i will give you a few bullet points

the diesel engine is noisier on the pajero

the fortuner is more responsive and appears to have with better torque

it feels agricultural compared to the fortuner

its a harder ride

it doesn't feel as luxurious

it feels claustraphobic by comparison

the cabin is narrower, the central tunnel section in the cabin is higher and wider making the drivers area smaller

the seats are harder and thinner, not as comfortable as the fortuner

on mine the leather was cracking on the drivers seat by 30,000 kms

on the fortuner not until 70,000 kms

servicing for the pajero was almost double the cost of the fortuner

the fortuner wasa little over 1000 baht at toyota for a regular oil change interim type service

the pajero was never less than 2000 baht for anything

in terms of looks i was never 100% on it

looks are a personal issue i know but it looked to me like it had been squeezed in the midriff

making it higher and thinner

it always looked out of proportion to me

i think the fortuner simply looks better and has more balanced appearance

theres loads more i expect but thats the main points as i remember them

i am sure many here will disagree with me and i admit i am no Jeremy clarkson when it comes to reviews but is there any more people here who has had both cars at the same time to make a direct comparison?

if you are unsure, why not hire both types of vehicles for a few days and see which you like better?

My Fortuner of 29 March 2005.Silver metalic.4WD,2,7 petrol.

Many original toyota extra's.

79.800 km's

Every 5000 km's service by official toyota dealer (Thaiyen Korat)

Last service 28 December 2011 incl. 4 new tyres Michelin 265/70 R 16 (spare tyre never used)

Never involved in any accident what so ever.

50% no claim discount on my A1 insurance.

English manual and computer service card (toyota member)

I am planning to buy the new Camry 2012 and agreed with the dealer to let them have my fortuner,but no deal made yet.

At the moment no information of the 2012 model and no show car available.They will contact me a.s.a.p..

If interested let me have your pb.

Edited by dutch

perhaps, but alas no

2 months delay due to floods affecting the ability to obtain parts they needed. Mitsu had the same problem. What year did you have the Pajero, my understanding its the PJS has had 2 recent upgrades whereas the Tuna the one for 2012 ... The PJS has a very compelling argument price, spec and option wise.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

perhaps, but alas no

2 months delay due to floods affecting the ability to obtain parts they needed. Mitsu had the same problem. What year did you have the Pajero, my understanding its the PJS has had 2 recent upgrades whereas the Tuna the one for 2012 ... The PJS has a very compelling argument price, spec and option wise.

2008 TUNA

2009 PAJ

in terms of looks i was never 100% on it

looks are a personal issue i know but it looked to me like it had been squeezed in the midriff

making it higher and thinner

it always looked out of proportion to me

I said the same to my missus... I don't like its look from any â€external†angle. Dislike the lights, indicators and running boards but then again I've always preferred the boxy look of the MU.

perhaps, but alas no

2008 TUNA

2009 PAJ

Added 17in rims, 5 speed gearbox and increased HP to 178 since then do would be a better ride. Was it on foil springs or leaf springs in 2009, cuz now on coils same as Tuna.

Buying used I'd go with the Toyota to have a chance at resale value into a bigger market later although the new Paj is increasing in market share.

perhaps, but alas no

2008 TUNA

2009 PAJ

Added 17in rims, 5 speed gearbox and increased HP to 178 since then do would be a better ride. Was it on foil springs or leaf springs in 2009, cuz now on coils same as Tuna.

Buying used I'd go with the Toyota to have a chance at resale value into a bigger market later although the new Paj is increasing in market share.

i am not sure of the new upgrades, or their benefits i have never looked at one since

i lost interest altogether after having one.........

Agreed.

My only experience is with the Fortuner, and i must admit, i'm not a great fan and given the choice, would much rather drive a luxury saloon, Camry, Accord or preferably Teana. Fortuner just doesn't ride how i like - feel like one is bobbling along. Interior feels a bit cheap. Generally dated now too.

Have no experience of the PJS, but most people here who have one, seem very happy. I guess there are happy Fortuner owners as well though.

Guess my bottom line would be, regardless of what the OP does buy, try and buy new, as buying used still requires considerable outlay but without any of the assurances of guarantees and such. Just doesn't seem worth the potential hassle. Unless of course you go for something a little left-field that has depreciated - Everest for example.