Airline Policies For Thais Flying To Uk

Hi Everyone.

My Thai partner has recently been granted a settlement visa to join me here in the UK.

We plan to book the flight (one way) for the middle of next month.

I would prefer a direct flight, and would prefer my partner to fly EVA.

I like EVA as it's direct, the service is good and the price is competitive.

I read, a while ago, however, that EVA has a policy of refusing to book Thais on their flights if the Thai has not previously flown to the UK.

I assume that this is something to do with the liability incurred, should the Thai not be granted access at the UK border.

I would expect, however, that the settlement visa would result in this policy not being enforced.

Has anyone come up against this problem?

And are there other airlines that adopt a similar policy?

Thanks for your help.

I have never heard of any airline refusing to carry someone merely because they are a first time traveler. If they did, how would the passenger ever become a second time traveler?!

Airlines wont carry passengers who do not have an entry clearance for their destination as they may be liable for the cost of returning them to their departure point plus a large fine if the passenger is refused entry.

However, if the passenger has a valid entry clearance for their destination then the airline would not be liable if the passenger was refused entry.

The only problem with the airline may come if the passenger is a visitor and does not have a return or onward ticket; but as your partner is traveling to the UK for settlement this wont be an issue.

Thanks 7by7.

Those were my thoughts also.

And, I've not heard of airlines declining bookings, if the correct visa is in place, apart from the one forum post I mentioned in my OP.

But I don't want to fall at the last hurdle, as it were.

The process of obtaining the settlement visa has been protracted, to say the least.

Thanks again.

So long as a valid visa is in place I can't see how they would refuse. I returned with my wife when she was granted her settlement visa a couple of months ago. At check-in they (Emirates) were very thorough in checking my wife's visa but had no problems. Our flight was not direct and her visa was thoroughly checked again when we boarded our second flight in Dubai

So long as a valid visa is in place I can't see how they would refuse. I returned with my wife when she was granted her settlement visa a couple of months ago. At check-in they (Emirates) were very thorough in checking my wife's visa but had no problems. Our flight was not direct and her visa was thoroughly checked again when we boarded our second flight in Dubai

my gf had the same in india, checking her visa and asking her when she is going back, why is is going etc when im pretty sure its got nothing atall to do with them? very annoying, they shut up when i said she was with me but still looking at her like shit and making her feel unwelcome! worst thing is we have a return flight the same way, worst flight i have ever bought/been on!

Only time I/We had a problem was with Swiss Air, my wife got separated from me when disembarking from the plane , a couple of swiss Police/Customs officers pounced on her< they where in my opinion over the top with there actions and attitude. I Told them abruptly that she was with me and showed my passport,as we where only transiting the county onward to the UK. They seem to relent a Little after that, I think Thai people get a raw deal when traveling from what i have seen , most get tared with the same brush..

Off Topic but may be relevent as you state your wife will be joining you in the Uk.

If you are intending to purchase the airline ticket by credit card many airlines

insist that the purchaser of flight must be travelling & show Card on request at

check in.Failure to be able to comply will result in boarding refusal.

I am pretty certain that Eva Air are very rigid in this respect .Check their terms

& conditions if relevent to your situation.