Tak Airport

P76

Hi,

Next Feb, Mar and Apr, I will be coming and going from Kampaeng Phet a few times. I plan to buy a house there (for the inlaws).

I have seen on a map that there is an airport at Tak which looks nearby.

I would like to know what airlines fly there and from where.

I dont like too many long bus trips.

Is this a feasible option?

Thanks in advance.

Phuker Air were still flying to Mae Sot in Tak province the last i heard.

This airline is on the verge of becoming 'defunct' though!

Just last month it hit the headlines that one of Phuket Air's jets on arriving at Mae Sot airport landed half-way down the runway and ended up just missing the local petrol station by a 100 metres.

BTW: Tak is in the northern-region of Thailand

Last passenger flight to Tak was over 10-15 years ago. The route was Bangkok-Phitsanuluk-Tak with a small THAI propeller machine.

A small THAI prop plane it was, holding around 30 people. I made that flight (only once) traveling from CM to Phitsanaloak with the plane making a brief stop at Tak. It was some years ago, I'm inclined to think around 8, possibly 9, but I know it wasn't 15 years or longer. Bought the flight tickets at the THAI AIR office in Chiangmai.

It still might be worth checking to see if any other airlines still fly to Tak. If not, then the bus or train are the options for the original poster. I still haven't yet traveled anywhere in Thailand by train.

If your looking for the quickest way, then its probably by bus, if you catch the train to Nakorn, you then have to get into town (the train station is about 7 km outside) then catch a bus up to Kampaeng Phet, probably an other couple of hours. A lot would depend on where in Kampaeng Phet you are actually trying to get.

As Bkkmadness said the best bet is probably a VIP bus up from BKK.

RC

You are better off taking the flight to Nakhon Sawan or even Sukhothai and then taking a bus to Kamphaeng Phet.

A bus trip from Mae Sot to Kamphaeng Phet can be grueling.

When finally here PM me and I can show you around!

You are better off taking the flight to Nakhon Sawan or even Sukhothai and then taking a bus to Kamphaeng Phet.

A bus trip from Mae Sot to Kamphaeng Phet can be grueling.

When finally here PM me and I can show you around!

Thanks for the offer mouse, I'll take you up on that!

• 2 weeks later...

No airlines currently fly into Tak... but Sukhothai (about an hour from Tak and KPP) has a gorgeous "boutique" airport (even more impressive than Samui IMHO), and is served by several BKK Air flights a day. Check out bkkair.com for more details.

If you really must fly into Tak, you could probably charter a small plane (i.e. a single-engine prop) at Don Muang. Tak airport seems to be a fairly popular stopover for people who fly small planes; in fact, Thailand's biggest general aviation airshow -- "Oshtak" -- took place in Tak just a couple weeks ago. Go to "oshtak.com" for more info on this event.

Hi,

Next Feb, Mar and Apr, I will be coming and going from Kampaeng Phet a few times. I plan to buy a house there (for the inlaws).

I have seen on a map that there is an airport at Tak which looks nearby.

I would like to know what airlines fly there and from where.

I dont like too many long bus trips.

Is this a feasible option?

Thanks in advance.

<snip>I'm inclined to think around 8, possibly 9, but I know it wasn't 15 years or longer.<snip>

Wow, thats a long flight, maybe quicker to walk :D

..... yes I did quote you out of context :D

The pilot had to land every 5 minutes to rewind the rubber band. :o

Couldn't send someone to climb out on the wings ?

<snip>I'm inclined to think around 8, possibly 9, but I know it wasn't 15 years or longer.<snip>

Probably not if there's a big queue of passengers waiting to use the outside toilet.

:D

Probably not if there's a big queue of passengers waiting to use the outside toilet.

:D

That’s been tried. Unfortunately, it was often difficult for these small puddle jumpers to got off the ground. It’s much better for the big 747 jumbo jets, and solves the problem of where to seat some of those large-sized passengers.

xtraseat5hz.jpg

I must say that I’m very impressed with how Thai Airways always handles things. You know those kids who are always screaming and disturbing everyone on a flight while their parents do nothing to keep them under control? The Special Children’s Section flight attendants provide for such noisy and unruly kids, is not only highly effective, but greatly appreciated by passengers tired of having some irritating brat continuously kick at the back of your seat while you're trying to lean back and relax.

kidseat5ha.jpg