Turbulence injures 7 aboard Sydney-bound flight

News_Editor

Turbulence injures 7 aboard Sydney-bound flight

2012-01-09 06:41:21 GMT+7 (ICT)

SYDNEY (BNO NEWS) -- Seven passengers were injured on Saturday when a Qantas flight from London to Sydney hit severe turbulence over India, the airline said on Sunday. Several people were treated at a hospital in Singapore.

Qantas flight QF32, which is flown by an Airbus A380, was on a flight from London to Sydney with a scheduled stop for refueling in Singapore when it hit storms over India, causing the aircraft to suddenly drop and throwing passengers who were not wearing their seat belt against the overhead cabin.

As a result of the sudden drop, seven passengers suffered cuts and bruises but no one was seriously injured. "I believe someone's head went through an overhead locker," one of the passengers told Australia's Ten News.

The injured passengers were taken to a hospital and a medical center in Singapore after the plane safely landed there, but all of them were able to rejoin the flight which continued its journey to Sydney after a lengthy delay. One passenger decided to take an alternative flight to Perth, which was his final destination.

The aircraft was carrying 450 passengers.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-09

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign. We are now crossing a zone of turbulence. Please return your seats and keep your seat belts fastened. Thank you.”

What part of this announcement don't people get exactly?

Q. What is the fasten seatbelt sign?

A. In the event of an unexpected accident, emergency stop, or other emergency situation during takeoff or landing, a great deal of force will be applied to the aircraft. If passengers do not keep their seatbelt fastened, they are at risk of being thrown forward from their seat. In addition, the aircraft may shake violently while in-flight due to unexpected turbulence. For this reason, the fasten seatbelt sign will be turned on during takeoff and landing and when turbulence is anticipated. We advise all passengers to keep their seatbelts fastened whenever they are seated.

Cabin crew will check if passengers keep their seatbelts fastened to ensure passenger safety. Please keep your seatbelt fastened over your blanket while sleeping so that cabin crew can check more easily.

If you need to ask what a seat belt sign is you are too dumb to fly.

as a side note:

Airasia have the worst passengers, as soon as the plane hits the runway people start UN-buckling, and even some people turn on mobile phones.

Not to mention the getting out of seats before aircraft arrives to gate. (Chinese&Indian) But that's another issue.

Penalties should be more severe and even kicking people of planes would be good.

Edited by LindsayBKK

What part of this announcement don't people get exactly?

Probably the part where they were asleep & did not get the message?

I know not a smart thing to do but once the fasten seat belt signs go off many take them off & go to sleep on

international flights.

If there is time yes the stewards walk the aisle & check but folks covered in blankets are not wakened unless a steward can see a belt hanging

off the chair.

Edited by flying

If you need to ask what a seat belt sign is you are too dumb to fly.

I dare you to say that after you've been on a typical 12 hour flight run by some of the Asian airlines where they never turn off the fasten seat belt sign during the entire 12 hours. They're off the hook if anyone gets hurt because "you got up when the seat belt sign was on".

That 44 oz Diet Coke for the road (last one I'll get in 3-4 months) sure makes the first half hour of the flight seem like forever. I used to carry them on the plane and savor, but that's no longer allowed on most airlines.

That said, I'm buckled in whenever I'm sitting down in an airplane.

Edited by impulse

When I fly, even with the seat belt light off, I have my seat belt loosened but fastened just in case. Beats dancing on the ceiling.

If the turbulence announcement and first bumps indicates severe turbulence, then I snug the seat belt down. If I have a blanket over me, I put the seat belt over the blanket.

At least in this case, there were only a few cuts and bruises, no broken bones.