Iphone 4S

junglechef

Want to buy an Iphone 4S as my cell phone is hard of hearing, my pocket camera has bad eyesight and my ipod just died. So because of the effects old age has had on all my electronics it's time to buy new. As I carry all three often w/me (esp. on my Mt. Bike rides) thought it would be good to get an all in one product. I do have experience w/Apple and use a Macbook w/all my music already on it's itunes already but am not great at all the techy stuff but am learning. Also I do take lots of pics and want to be sure the quality is pretty good, but I do have a SLR for when I get all artsy fartsy. Love the idea of also being able to upload to facebook pics while out and about! Anybody has anything to say about iphones and esp. buying them in CM. Have gotten diff. stories about who will service them after buying, some conflicting between diff. employees at the same outlet. Would also like to keep my same cell number from AIS if poss.. Dtac in Airport Plaza seems to have a service desk as I don't know about buying at one place and have serviced at another, not sure how that all works under warantee. Wondering about which contract, is 100 MB enough for a month if I don't plan on using the internet on the phone much (I can add more after the 3 mnth contract expires). Finally any advice on which model (16G, 32G or 64G), (I'll store most of my pics and music on my laptop and backup external HD), will I need all the memory in the larger ones? Thanks

^ That's silly. iPhone is still the most mature and easy to use phone out there. Some Android phones do some things better, but as an overall package it's not even much of a contest, especially if you don't mind paying a little extra in 'Apple-tax'.

Also the purchasing experience is easier; you go to your preferred mobile network provider and buy one. Prices are the same. Service: They all come with warranty. If something goes wrong they all truck it off to a repair center. When out of warranty there are some specialized repair shops.

As for which model to get: I don't think you need anyhting over the smallest model. It's not like you use it for storing things on there permanently; you move that to your regular computer. SO it just needs to hold a day or two of music and video when you want to be entertained, plus apps and games, and 16 Gb is plenty for that.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

well, i am mature and easy to use also...but sadly, i think my value on the open market has diminished over time.

anyways.. i used a 4S in usa for the month of october and then brought back a 3gs to use here... long story short.. i dumped my iPhone and went back to galaxy tab....

iphone is smoother in some ways, perhaps even a tad faster, but for customization, ease of use, and overall functionality, i much prefer the samsung products... as always, mileage may vary...

He's not asking which type of phone to buy, he's already decided on an iPhone. The Galaxy fanboy site is that way ------> :P

The best price you'll find an iPhone 4S is at the apple store in the airport plaza, they are a couple of thousand baht cheaper than at Dtac or TrueMove. Once you've bought the phone just take your sim card to the AIS place and they will replace it with a micro sim. You can probably get a decent package upgrade for 3G, but I'm not sure what your service provider offers. I currently have the true move 599 baht deal which gives you effectively montlhy unlimted 3G, plus free minutes and texts. Getting something like that is worth condsidering.

As for the phone, if you are going to be taking a lot of pictures and especially video then you will need large than the 16gig model. The videos on the iPhone 4S take up a lot of memory

Samsungs NEW Galaxy Note is the dogs <deleted> makes an Iphone 4 look like a child's toy smile.png

Not sure its in Thailand as yet, I have one but shipped it in from Singapore (19,000 baht) bit big for some folks but its a walking computer up to 32g memory watch movies in 1080p resolution take notes, 8 megapixel camera plus tons more stuff.

After having it for a month or so could not see being without it

Edited by DiamondKing

Thanks so far, since I haven't bought one yet I'll chk. out the Galaxy as I'm an open minded kind of guy. I spoke w/Apple kiosk in Airport Plaza and they said they service in other mall and spoke to service manger there and he said they don't service phones under warranty hey sell, the company you get the contract from will, seems odd that they service phones they didn't sell. So I went to the Apple Store in Airport and the girl said only dtac service any iphones in Thailand, etc. ect., sure some of it is communication breakdown (or not knowing and saying wrong and not backing down). I went to Kadsangaew (sp.?) Mall today and only True cared to try to answer my questions, which they did pretty well. Anybody have any personal experience w/all this here, esp. servicing a product?

Samsungs NEW Galaxy Note is the dogs <deleted> makes an Iphone 4 look like a child's toy smile.png

Not sure its in Thailand as yet, I have one but shipped it in from Singapore (19,000 baht) bit big for some folks but its a walking computer up to 32g memory watch movies in 1080p resolution take notes, 8 megapixel camera plus tons more stuff.

After having it for a month or so could not see being without it

Yes it is available, been thinking about one myself, cost is around 22,000 baht. Seems a good balance between a phone and a tablet. Can still be used as a phone with all the benefits (almost) of a tablet.

I have had experience with both samsung and iPhone but not the new galaxy note.

For want ease of use, and more apps than you can shake a stick at go for the iPhone. Always go for the most you can afford for the memory. Its better to have more than not enough. From experience the iPhone is better, but that is just my opinion.

As you have everything all set up with your Mac at home I assume you already have set up your Mac with iCloud?

If so, then every picture you take etc is automatically down loaded from you iPhone to your Mac.

Follow the video tutorial the apple website to get everything run without you doing anything more than follow the simple instructions.

Try the mac care centre in Kad Suan Kaew, They will deal with your question or if they will service iPhone or not. They speak good english.

Ask the ishop as you go into the entrance to KSK and they will tell you how to get there. iPhones are pretty robust but get a good cover for it.

Ok, now I need to add some info, also on a previous remark:

Many fake iPhones from China selling in Thailand. Be careful.

Few months ago bought 2 iPhone 4 from border crossing at Nong Khai/Vientaine for 1000 baht each, made in china, still functioning well..

There are phones on sale that on the outside look like iPhones in design. These really aren't sold to deceive anyone, just turning it on makes it very clear what it is; a cheap phone with the iPhone look as a design gimmick. These phones may even be smaller in size, or may include a TV antenna and player, multiple sim cards or other features not in the iPhone.

They do not, however, run the iOS operating system, and not even a blind person could mistake them for an iPhone.

When you go to a shopping mall and get one either from Mac Zone (which incidentally is not 'an Apple Store') or from a cell phone network provider then it will always be a proper iPhone.

The cheaper option to going the iphone long-term contract or outright purchase with no contract is an ipod touch 4G plus the Apple peel case which turns your ipod into a functioning phone.

Bigger form,no 1080p camera recording, but it has the solid and lovely iOS system and no viruses to worry about.Looks like an "iBrick" when put side-by-side with an iPhone, but as with everything it will get slender soon.

http://www.peel520.net/

Edited by freedomnow

Ok, now I need to add some info, also on a previous remark:

Many fake iPhones from China selling in Thailand. Be careful.

Few months ago bought 2 iPhone 4 from border crossing at Nong Khai/Vientaine for 1000 baht each, made in china, still functioning well..

There are phones on sale that on the outside look like iPhones in design. These really aren't sold to deceive anyone, just turning it on makes it very clear what it is; a cheap phone with the iPhone look as a design gimmick. These phones may even be smaller in size, or may include a TV antenna and player, multiple sim cards or other features not in the iPhone.

They do not, however, run the iOS operating system, and not even a blind person could mistake them for an iPhone.

When you go to a shopping mall and get one either from Mac Zone (which incidentally is not 'an Apple Store') or from a cell phone network provider then it will always be a proper iPhone.

Agreed, the fake I-Phones are absolutely nothing like a real I-Phone and just turning it on and seeing the amateurish generic software gives them away!

The one I picked up didn't even switch the screen from vertical to horizontal when you turned it on it's side.

The only similarity is that when it is not turned on, it looks a bit like an I-Phone!

The cheaper option to going the iphone long-term contract or outright purchase with no contract is an ipod touch 4G plus the Apple peel case which turns your ipod into a functioning phone.

Bigger form,no 1080p camera recording, but it has the solid and lovely iOS system and no viruses to worry about.Looks like an "iBrick" when put side-by-side with an iPhone, but as with everything it will get slender soon.

http://www.peel520.net/

Only GPRS, no 3G by the looks of it. And it needs to be jailbroken, as Apple doesn't seem to approve. wink.png

I would expect the jailbreaking to be necessary of course, but this does make the 'Installation' video very misleading, after all you need to jailbreak your device first. So if they're this misleading in their video, I tend to wonder 'what else aren't they telling me'?

At $119 I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, unless I already had a recent iPod.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess GPRS is terribly slow in CM ?

Would it not be good enough for Skype audio calls at least ?

I'd personally just use my Macbook Air for web stuff over a dongle.

Anyway, hope the original poster got some useful information on what is available.

The AIS website has a nice promo plan

http://www.ais.co.th...one/en/package/

I would recommend the 399 baht/month plan that gives you unlimited data and 200 minutes talk

This 3G has speed limits (Thing 1mbps) - but is reasonable priced and remember when you are at home your IPhone can switch to your home wifi (Assuming you have that) and speeds are as fast as your home plan...

For my IPhone I have not been able to use any data plan that is limited... The IPhones want a constant data connection and will access the internet for a host of purposes sucking up any limited plan...

Edited by sfokevin