Looking For A Few Good Men

mouse

• 2 weeks later...

I was in US Navy from Dec. 89 until April 95. I did not see or was involved in Desert Storm (they had me in avionics school). Would I be eliglbe to join the VFW still? I am not drawing any pension or disability and have already used my GI Bill money. Other than being around military buddies, what would be the benefit of joining?

THX

Other than being around military buddies, what would be the benefit of joining?

THX

The VFW is an organization of veterans helping veterans. My situation is similar to your own Luke -- I am not disabled. I attend the meetings fairly regularly and besides learning about programs and benefits for veterans, I enjoy the comradeship. What I have learned by going to the meetings has not benefited me personally but some of the information I have been made aware of has enlightened me and has allowed me to assist other vets. So until the time comes when I need the VFW, I am in it to assist other fellow vets -- some of which are the Thai veterans that our Post provides winter jackets to.

I would be extremely wary of people offering help in the name of the VFW.

Some of these people that claim to help others are actually doing it for a cut of the benefits after the veteran has passed away. By posing as someone trying to assist the widowed thai wife.

They even go as far as calling existing family members to mail them the deceased credit cards to thailand, will generally poke around asking for clues for other existing benefits in a sneaky manner - then offer to split them with you, and he is a farang, a fat, ugly one with extremely evil looking eyes..

In other words, they will steal any benefits from your children and reroute it to the thai wife for a commission, do not make him your executor of the will.

If anyone wants the name of the person mainly involved with this scam in Chiang Mai PM me, there is no honor in this man and must be exposed.

Other than being around military buddies, what would be the benefit of joining?

THX

The VFW is an organization of veterans helping veterans. My situation is similar to your own Luke -- I am not disabled. I attend the meetings fairly regularly and besides learning about programs and benefits for veterans, I enjoy the comradeship. What I have learned by going to the meetings has not benefited me personally but some of the information I have been made aware of has enlightened me and has allowed me to assist other vets. So until the time comes when I need the VFW, I am in it to assist other fellow vets -- some of which are the Thai veterans that our Post provides winter jackets to.

OK, great. So I will come to the 11Feb meeting and check things out. If I can do something to help other vets that would be great even though I don't (as of now while I'm still young) need any help myself. But I would like to get involved helping others. See ya'll then shipmates!

AT2 Lukeskywalker

Actually the VFW does s lot of good in the community. The organization has helped many U.S. Veterans, Veterans of other nations and of course their widow and orphans. We would love to have you join us. The benefits are many. We take an oath to support and assist you and your family when the time comes. We help Veterans get their benefits that they are entitled to and generally make Veterans and families aware of what help is available. There is also the camaraderie and social aspect of our organization. Stop by at the next meeting and see for yourself!

Why is this organization called the VFW? What other kind of wars has the US been involved in?

The French and Indian War, The War of Independence, The War of 1812, and the US Civil War to name a few. Could probably also count the Mexican-American War down in Texas.

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo
  • Like 1

I was in US Navy from Dec. 89 until April 95. I did not see or was involved in Desert Storm (they had me in avionics school). Would I be eliglbe to join the VFW still? I am not drawing any pension or disability and have already used my GI Bill money. Other than being around military buddies, what would be the benefit of joining?

THX

Stop by and we can look up if you are eligible. If not you can still attend as there are new things daily that every veteran needs to know. For example, if you die and your wife is destitute, not eligible for Social Security, she may be eligible for a $651 Widow's pension.

We are capable of telling you about little things that could make a world of difference to someone in Thailand.

• Like 1

THX

Stop by and we can look up if you are eligible. If not you can still attend as there are new things daily that every veteran needs to know. For example, if you die and your wife is destitute, not eligible for Social Security, she may be eligible for a $651 Widow's pension.

We are capable of telling you about little things that could make a world of difference to someone in Thailand.

Cool...I'll be there!