Monitor Problems. Sort Of

Jockstar

It started a couple of days ago. What is happening is this.. I'm playinga a game F.E.A.R. then the screen kind of becomes smaller. Like its been pushed in from either side and becomes taller. Does that make sense? I thought it must be something to do with the game. But it happened again when i was on the net. I dont know exactly why its doing this. But i'm downloading the latest driver for my card as i type. Could it be this or something else? Is my monitor on its way out?

Edited by Jockstar

It started a couple of days ago. What is happening is this.. I'm playinga  a game F.E.A.R. then the screen kind of becomes smaller. Like its been pushed in from either side and becomes taller. Does that make sense? I thought it must be something to do with the game. But it happened again when i was on the net. I dont know exactly why its doing this. But i'm downloading the latest driver for my card as i type. Could it be this or something else? Is my monitor on its way out?

Sounds like pincusion control is acting up. Maybe the monitor is overheating. Usually when symptoms like that begin some electronics is becoming unstable. Next time it happens just turn the monitor off for a few minutes then back on without doing anything at the computer to see if the problem clears. If it clears then the problem comes back again, need to have the monitor looked at. Doubt if it is a driver issue.

I'm assuming we are talking about a CRT monitor not LCD?

Another possiblility is that the video card itself is overheating or if it has a fan on the video card it is not running.

Edited by tywais

I'm using a CRt. Seriously pissing me off now. Think i may go and buy an LCD. Are these any good for games. Is there specs i should be looking for?

If FEAR is an FPS yer aswell going for a CRT for the moment, though I think some of the top end LCDs have similar refresh rates nowdays :o

Edited by Joey Boy

I'm using a CRt. Seriously pissing me off now. Think i may go and buy an LCD. Are these any good for games. Is there specs i should be looking for?

Hi.

You should definitely get a widescreen LCD, its great for DVD watching and most new games have widescreen support. If you like your FPS games it really adds to the immersion experience.

Check the widescreen gaming forums

here

under the user reviews section for suggestions of what model to buy.

It could be a heat issue, yes it could be dying. I had a viewsonic go bad on me, be careful CRT's can be quite nasty when they are in they are on the way out, mine started to hum, made a few pop sounds and I quickly unplugged it. Luckily this happened as I was downloading the new drivers for the Samsung LCD I was getting ready to hook up.

The problem is getting worse. Instead of squeezing in and staying like that. Its now going in and out in and out again. Defo thinks its the monitor on its way out, I've had it for 2 years and it was 2nd hand when i bought it with my old PC. At leasy 5 years in total.

The problem is getting worse. Instead of squeezing in and staying like that. Its now going in and out in and out again. Defo thinks its the monitor on its way out, I've had it for 2 years and it was 2nd hand when i bought it with my old PC. At leasy 5 years in total.

Try a good slap to the top and sides. Often that will be enough to get it going again. But when it really gets bad your slaps may become too violent and cause a sudden death. Then it is time for a new monitor - as it already old and used will not suggest a tv repair shop to fix it although it would probably not cost much to do so.

Try a good slap to the top and sides. Often that will be enough to get it going again. But when it really gets bad your slaps may become too violent and cause a sudden death. Then it is time for a new monitor - as it already old and used will not suggest a tv repair shop to fix it although it would probably not cost much to do so.

Just gave it a slap. And guess what? That worked. Now why didnt i think of that? Anyway its obviously on its way out. So will maybe go this weekend and buy an LCD. Cheers lopburi. :o

Just gave it a slap. And guess what? That worked. Now why didnt i think of that? Anyway its obviously on its way out. So will maybe go this weekend and buy an LCD. Cheers lopburi. :o

It's one of my tools also. I get odd looks from my technicians when I go up to something that is intermittant and give it a slap up the side and it works again. Then I have the technician take it apart and clean and tighten up all the connectors.

Like the old joke where a technician came to repair a TV. Looked at it for a few seconds then hit it on the side and it started working. Gave the owner a bill for $200.00 at which point the owner complained that he only hit it why so much? It's $5.00 for hitting it and $195.00 for knowing where to hit it. :D

BTW, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 910T digital/analog (dual input ports) 19" LCD display that is absolutely outstanding in resolution, brightness and contrast. Play games like MS Flight Simulator and DOOM3 on it with no problems. It's best using the DVI (digital inputs) but needs a card with DVI outputs.

It's one of my tools also. I get odd looks from my technicians when I go up to something that is intermittant and give it a slap up the side and it works again. Then I have the technician take it apart and clean and tighten up all the connectors.

Like the old joke where a technician came to repair a TV. Looked at it for a few seconds then hit it on the side and it started working. Gave the owner a bill for $200.00 at which point the owner complained that he only hit it why so much? It's $5.00 for hitting it and $195.00 for knowing where to hit it. :D

BTW, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 910T digital/analog (dual input ports) 19" LCD display that is absolutely outstanding in resolution, brightness and contrast. Play games like MS Flight Simulator and DOOM3 on it with no problems. It's best using the DVI (digital inputs) but needs a card with DVI outputs.

I've got a GeForce FX 5900. Not sure if it has DVI? Any ideas?

I've got a GeForce FX 5900. Not sure if it has DVI? Any ideas?

If it only has the standard 15 pin D type female connector then it is VGA only. I have a dual output card, one DVI and one VGA to drive my two LCD monitors. However the monitor I mentioned has both type inputs and in VGA mode still looks great. The DVI connector is usually white and rectangular rather then D shape.

You can get an idea of the specs and features here:http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=114&brand=43

Edited by tywais