Art Supplies

scd

Hello everyone. Sorry for the extra thread but the search function isn't being too kind to me today.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of un-stretched canvas to paint on using acrylic artist paints? i.e. canvas that hasn't been stapled/fixed to a frame already.

I tried the place next door to the U.N. Irish pub but they only have the prepackage jobbies.

Yours with much thanks.

scd

Chiang Mai is not a great place for art supplies in general and canvas in particular. Good quality things tend to be over-priced and sometimes hard to find.

I use a heavy Belgian linen which I bring from the US.

Aargh i suspected that might be the case. Thanks for the info, now i know haha. Ok, compromised standards here i come!

Sorry, my reply was interrupted.

...As far as I know it's not available here.

I would recommend Zirieng on Ratchawithi Rd., but that sounds like the place you've already been to.

You might try the following:

Likisin on Sri Poom Rd.

B2S in Robinson, Airport Plaza.

Central Dept. Store, Kad Suan Kaew.

Hope you find what you want.

I know a painter who frames his own canvas. A nice young guy and he sells at the Night Bazaar. He has a studio in Wat Ched Yod area (PM me for direction)

When it comes to quality in CM, it is not the best, but OK.

Why don't you go to CMU art department and ask teachers & students?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My search continues... I have made some progress after talking to a couple of local artists. One of them pointed me in the direction of a nearby fabric retailer, and they did indeed have some thin canvas. The good stuff was out if stock but it's given me some leads.

I tried the place next door to the U.N. Irish pub but they only have the prepackage jobbies.

Wow that is surprising............Last year we bought about a dozen from that place.

All the way upstairs they had tone of stretched canvas in so many sizes plus all the

various paints & brushes etc.

I have purchased art canvas rolls at an art supply shop just off Chang Puak Rd, their selection varies so it's worth regularly popping in once in a while, they can also order some specific things. There used to be a couple such art canvas supply shops in town, probably still is, but I haven't been painting for a while.

I finally ended up going to a art canvas shop in BKK and had the stuff shipped up here. Bought a lot. In fact I bought too much. If you have interest in one or two 2m x 10m canvas rolls send me a PM I sell it to you at my cost.

• 3 months later...

I have purchased art canvas rolls at an art supply shop just off Chang Puak Rd, their selection varies so it's worth regularly popping in once in a while, they can also order some specific things. There used to be a couple such art canvas supply shops in town, probably still is, but I haven't been painting for a while.

I finally ended up going to a art canvas shop in BKK and had the stuff shipped up here. Bought a lot. In fact I bought too much. If you have interest in one or two 2m x 10m canvas rolls send me a PM I sell it to you at my cost.

I'm also interested. May I ask what you paid for a 10m roll in BKK and can you get Golden acrylic paints there or in CM??