What Is The Best Way To Marry A Thai Woman?

Warhammer820

I really want to marry my Thai gf, but we aren't sure how to do it. I am about to graduate from my university in the US with an education degree, so could I go to Thailand to marry her there and teach while waiting for a visa for us to get married in the US? I don't meet the 125% income level in the US right now, but I could get my sister and her husband to sponsor me since they have a high income and a paid off house. I don't want to wait in the US for the k-1 visa to be approved or denied, so could I teach there until we get married and bring her back to the US after we meet the marriage requirements in Thailand?

What marriage requirements?

Just get married. Then deal with the visas.

(personally, I wouldn't get married, but that's a different story)

The ones to get married in Thailand are a combined income of 40,000 baht/month or have 400,000 baht in the bank. The requirement for America is to make an income of 125% of the poverty line for two people.

The ones to get married in Thailand are a combined income of 40,000 baht/month or have 400,000 baht in the bank. The requirement for America is to make an income of 125% of the poverty line for two people.

These are visa requirements; not marriage.

I don't know about the US, but there is no income requirement for marriage in Thailand.

To marry in Thailand you need to complete an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry and have it notarised at the US embassy. You then have this translated into Thai and the translation certified as correct by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once you've done that you can marry at any ampur.

See this page from the US embassy for their procedure and fee.

I'm moving this to the Marriage Forum, where you may receive more sensible comments/advice.

I suggest that when you have decided whether you need a Thai visa or she needs a US one that you post any visa questions in the appropriate forum.

How long have you know this girl? Marriage may not be the answer until you are financially stable and are sure that this is the right way to proceed.

Remember the old (and valid) saying: Marry in haste...repent at leisure.

These are visa requirements; not marriage.

I don't know about the US, but there is no income requirement for marriage in Thailand.

To marry in Thailand you need to complete an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry and have it notarised at the US embassy. You then have this translated into Thai and the translation certified as correct by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once you've done that you can marry at any ampur.

See this page from the US embassy for their procedure and fee.

I'm moving this to the Marriage Forum, where you may receive more sensible comments/advice.

I suggest that when you have decided whether you need a Thai visa or she needs a US one that you post any visa questions in the appropriate forum.

Having the 40k still amounts to what you need though if you marry and live in Thailand

Having the 40k still amounts to what you need though if you marry and live in Thailand

There is no incoem requirement for marriage. For an extension of stay based on marriage there is and it is indeed 40,000 a month (or 400,000 in the bank).

But the OP states he plans to teach and there is no minimum income requirement for an extension of stay for a teacher.

There is no incoem requirement for marriage. For an extension of stay based on marriage there is and it is indeed 40,000 a month (or 400,000 in the bank).

But the OP states he plans to teach and there is no minimum income requirement for an extension of stay for a teacher.

True if the op has his extension based on his work, but if based on marriage then he would require the money. Upto the OP which extension he wants to have, but the Ministry of Labour prefer an extension based on Work.

A couple of things non visa related ...

You can't get (legally) married in Thailand and the States.

If having to choose between the two, go for a simple ceremony in Thailand.

Humm ... you have no money, no job, a huge debt from just having finished your University education, possibly little or no work experience in Teaching (what is the unemployment rate in the States again?) ... maybe you are under 30 years old?

Now you want to marry outside your Culture with all the challenges that this will bring.

Have you heard of or understand 'Sin Sod'? If not, read about if here (Thai Visa) first and start your Cultural awakening.

True love can never be beaten ... just make sure that force of love comes from both sides ... and not just yours.

Wish you both the best in life ...

edit (my poor spelling ... maybe I need an English teacher!)

Edited by David48

Have you heard of or understand 'Sin Sod'? If not, read about if here (Thai Visa) first and start your Cultural awakening.

coffee1.gif Most people on TV who post about sin sod have no idea what they're talking about. They experience something in their own life and then think it applies to all Thais in a country of 60 million plus.

Fact is if you ask Thais from different backgrounds (social, educational, financial, age groups, etc.) you're going to get a wide variety of answers about sin sod. Not every foreigner is marrying "sticky rice/rotten fish eaters".

The OP is young and educated. If his Thai gf is young, educated, and from a modern Thai family, there's a good chance that there won't be any sin sod. Or if there is, it will be given back to him after the ceremony.

If she's from Issan, then ignore everything I said.

coffee1.gif Most people on TV who post about sin sod have no idea what they're talking about.

My bad for not attaching this pinned post on Sin Sod from the Forum ... http://www.thaivisa....an-explanation/

Regine, I agree with all that you wrote in your post ... problems with the universal application of Cultural norms, educated Thais maybe not expecting Sin Sod, and the Issan quote!

However if "If his Thai gf is young, educated, and from a modern traditional Thai family" the Sin Sod expectation might be huge based on all the family's resources having been spent on sending their brightest and most capable child to University with the sole aim of being the 'bread winner' for the family into the foreseeable future!

Oh ... if you haven't seen this yet ... it's a MUST READ !

http://www.thaivisa....ffed-now-maybe/

The actual person named is a TV contributor and replies ... eventually.

Edited by David48