English Test For Uk Settlement

Can any one advise me as to how difficult these language tests are. I'm not to sure as to what level A1 is. I had a go on the KET demo and it seemed quite tough. Is KET harder than TOIEC? Really wanted to get this test over and done with but I can't get a KET test for the mrs till march 17, but the TOIEC is avalible monthly? Any advice. Cheers guys

I've started a new topic for you, as your posting the question in a topic about visa fees vs costs means it will probably be missed.

The requirement is

A1 standard is very basic; if your partner can hold a simple conversation in English then she will have no difficulty.

The test must be held by an approved provider, and must be a test of speaking and listening.

Most providers in Thailand make candidates sit the full test, including reading and writing, but it doesn't matter what the score in reading and writing is as long as they reach at least A1 in speaking and listening.

See English language requirement.

What is an approved English language test?

In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). This is a basic level, which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases. You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills.

We will also accept approved tests in speaking and listening, or speaking and listening with additional skills such as reading or writing, at a higher level (if they are taken with an approved test provider and are on the approved list).

Thanks for your help. Sorry new to posting, couldn't quite figure it out, lol. I think she should be ok, she has already Ben in the uk on a 6 month visa. Just getting nervous, you know how it is when your getting married but might have to spend more time appart. Any way fingers crossed.

Is there any prep she could do other than the online test pack I bought? Maybe a quick course? She's in chaing Rai?

Thanks again Dom

My wife took the BULATS test in Bangkok. It is business based and you can pretty much book it straight away. The results come back in about 3 weeks which is faster than the KET exams I had previously looked into.

I tried the BULATS demo and it worried me as I thought it was hard but apparently the test adapts to the taker's competency therfore if you cannot answer a certain question , the next will be easier.

Anyway my wife got A2 across the board, I was really impressed. The company was called VantageSiam. Guy called Kevin runs it, really helpful guy, other people on here recomended him to me.

hope this helps

My partner completed the Cambridge ESOL Key English Test. its pretty straight forward. All you need is to pass AI and thats it.

There should be passed papers online somewhere. She should be practising with previous passed papers that can be printed off.rather than done online.

Hi all - can anyone tell me if these English language qulaifications have an indefinite validity?

In other words, does a UK visa application have to be made within a certain time period after the qualification has been obtained or can one take the test in anticipation of applying for a visa at some (undecided) future date?

Many thanks.

Hi all - can anyone tell me if these English language qulaifications have an indefinite validity?

In other words, does a UK visa application have to be made within a certain time period after the qualification has been obtained or can one take the test in anticipation of applying for a visa at some (undecided) future date?

Many thanks.

They are normally valid for 2 years, but check with the test provider.

Also bear in mind that, in the current proposals from the UK government, the level of English required may be raised to A2 CEFR. In that case, any certificate obtained at A1 level now might not be valid when you get round to applying.

• 4 weeks later...