Thai Legal Age

hi can anyone tell me how old a thai national has to be before they are allowed to buy property for themselves in their own name and be the full owner (assuming they have the money to do so)

im getting a lot of conflicting answers from lawyer

thanks

hi can anyone tell me how old a thai national has to be before they are allowed to buy property for themselves in their own name and be the full owner (assuming they have the money to do so)

im getting a lot of conflicting answers from lawyer

thanks

Look in the property forum, I posted as topic about this as I am thinking of buying a house and putting it in my sons name. Some interesting answers

Can own property outright from the day born.

From age 0-20 can only sell property with court order (which is unlikely to be issued)

Can sell property at age 20 (or borrow money)

Some may claim 21 as the age of maturity, but this does conflict with other Thai laws where children are considered owned by their parents until age 20.

Edited by ludditeman

Some may claim 21 as the age of maturity, but this does conflict with other Thai laws where children are considered owned by their parents until age 20.

Can we as Farang own a child? A Thai one? Surely that's got to be forbidden!

From age 0-20 can only sell property with court order (which is unlikely to be issued)

THe confusion with laws relates to the fact that the law refers to a minor having completed his 20th year. Many people her count the age starting from 1 when born not 0.

see Sections 19 and 20

Edited by harrry

THe confusion with laws relates to the fact that the law refers to a minor having completed his 20th year. Many people her count the age starting from 1 when born not 0.

see Sections 19 and 20

That makes perfect sense, and reminded my that Thais refer to their age as their age at the next birthday.

So directly they have their 20th birthday, if asked they say they are 21.

see Sections 19 and 20

That makes perfect sense, and reminded my that Thais refer to their age as their age at the next birthday.

This is aChinese thing

Yu are year 1 when born

Why well they didnt have a zero until the Arabs invented it

see Sections 19 and 20

This is aChinese thing

Yu are year 1 when born

Why well they didnt have a zero until the Arabs invented it

Actually, zero was invented in India.

Edited by Semper