Investing The Money

radiola

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diversify. Stocks, bonds, real estate, CD's. But it depends how much money you're talking about, how old you are, your source of income, etc. As with anything in life, the higher the risk, the higher the payoff. Of course, I'm not talking about a beer-bar in Pattaya.

Generally good advice... Are you, by any chance, the Berkshire of Berkshire-Hathaway rolleyes.gif

Diversify. Stocks, bonds, real estate, CD's. But it depends how much money you're talking about, how old you are, your source of income, etc. As with anything in life, the higher the risk, the higher the payoff. Of course, I'm not talking about a beer-bar in Pattaya.

Generally good advice... Are you, by any chance, the Berkshire of Berkshire-Hathaway rolleyes.gif

You're the first who's made the connection. No relation, but that is the source of my handle. Let's just say I have a small interest.

SCB are doing a promotion (classic saying) 3.4% for 10 months. It won't make you rich but there's no risks involved.

SCB are doing a promotion (classic saying) 3.4% for 10 months. It won't make you rich but there's no risks involved.

when will people learn money in a bank has risk of currency depreciation high inflation bank going bust its areal mugs gme

i always wondered how to buy well known company stocks like apple, google, microsoft, sirius......

what is the inflation in Thailand, I guess condo price will always grow??

I saw some price increase in local juice bar, for 7 bht, so that is why i panicked!!

The increase was 10%

Should have bought the juice bar.

Get a Thai wife and you will have no money to worry about. Jim

A Thai bargirl from pattaya or Phuket can do this equally as well for you and you'll be in the company of others as well.. you may not get to meet them or know them but rest assured they are there

I have a third in cash in the Commonwealth bank earning 5.5% at call, a third in stocks earning 8% after tax and the last third in realestate earning nothing, but I have made 200% in capital gains over the decades. plus about 5% in physical gold, just in case

Edited by waza

yes with a Commonwealth investment account you get 5.5% at call, (you can withdraw all or part of your money at any time)no minimum deposit. Peoples choice credit union and a few other banks have a similar products. Also with a C.I.A. you get reduced brokerage fees if you have a stock portfolio with them.

buying condos is what everyone else is doing. the logic being.

interest rates = x

roi from rent = y

y > x therefore it is a good investment

this logic ignores

fluctuations in the value of the condo

as they say though, real estate prices never go down.

Are you serious? Real estate prices have plunged in many countries in the last few years.

I personally would not put good money into a condominium in Thailand unless it is at the very top of the market, and is likely to be well managed and well maintained for the forseeable future, certainly for the rest of my lifetime, anyway. Have a look around at some 20 or 30 year old buildings, and ask yourself whether you would want to be relying on rent from places like that in 20 years time.

In the economy as it is worldwide, BE CONSERVATIVE.

Invest only where you will have access to your funds and ideally in something where your funds are government guaranteed, even if this means low interest.

Low interest and security are quite comforting as against high interest and no security....... at this time.

Maybe time to think of Indonesia, you can get 10.25% and up to 120 kUSD is guaranteed by government.

Currency is stable against the dollar and Euro ( in fact very much better than it was 2 years ago )

Having a bit of experience in Indonesia and quite a bit of investment, I still feel that as things are today, it is better to err on the side of caution.

That said, I am VERY pro Indonesia and feel that investing there for the longer term is a very good proposition.

But at present, I would be cautious. I can see that many people will lose a lot of money in the next few months by "investing" for return rather than for safety.

the bank is Siam Commercial Bank. 4 per cent apr but cant touch your money for 5 months.

Does this account have a particular name? I couldn't find it.

In the absence of a reply I visited two large branches of SCB. Both told me that there is no such account.

Maybe time to think of Indonesia, you can get 10.25% and up to 120 kUSD is guaranteed by government.

Currency is stable against the dollar and Euro ( in fact very much better than it was 2 years ago )

ain't interest taxed 20% in Indonesia ? Can you open a bank account there if you are not a resident ?

the bank is Siam Commercial Bank. 4 per cent apr but cant touch your money for 5 months.

In the absence of a reply I visited two large branches of SCB. Both told me that there is no such account.

Quietman was probably conned by a fake branch.

When he gets back there to cash his deposit will probably find a 7-11 store in its place.

But to be fair Darrel they do change these accounts like the wind blows.

last few weeks I got 3.75% held for 11 months now its gone down to 3.4% for 5 months , so they do come and go.

But to be fair Darrel they do change these accounts like the wind blows.

This is true. I have several accounts, here and elsewhere, that were only on offer for a short time.

However, I wasn't making any comment; I was just stating what I discovered. Had I found the account I would have put some money in it so I was disappointed not to have found it.

Does anyone know if a foriegner can open a bank account in India? The interest rates are very good...

http://www.hdfcbank....fd_interest.htm

-you can if you have a long term visa or residence permit,

-interest rates look phantastic without taking into consideration that the Indian Rupee (INR) has lost 12-20% vs. major foreign currencies during the last 7 months and that Indian inflation is rampant at 9.5%.

-the rates published by HDFC are for INR deposits which canNOT be converted back into foreign currency!

-income tax applies.

summary: there is no free lunch.

India also has some rather strict currency controls for anyone who isn't Indian or an NRI. When I inquired with SBI a few years ago, they said my account would automatically close 6 months after the expiration of my visa. (obviously I didn't open an account.... first time I heard of a bank account with a 'game clock' type time limit)

:)