Nice Area For Visa Runs From Cm With Less Hassle...

gravion

Hello ladies and gentlemen, i need to cross the border to get non-b visa. I've been to laos, singapore b4, but i would like to try myanmar. is it yangoon?

I heard ppl saying if i go by bus, i need to go through mae sai? if so it looks really a long run...

i just want to get in, get it done, and have some beer while at it....

any info would be appreciated thanks

cheerios

Mae Sot is supposed to be reopened (as of Dec 5 2011 but I'm not sure if it happened), surely the bus would go that way? It was closed for a long time perhaps the info you've got is stale. I can't imagine why they'd go the (very) long way round via Mae Sai to get to Yangon...

Yangon's not the easiest place to get to from CM... If there's nobody going via Mae Sot, perhaps just get a bus to Mae Sot, get into Myanmar, then catch another bus from Myawaddy to Yangon... But I'm guessing so I hope somebody else has better info for you...

The idea of trying Yangon doesn't seem to fit in with the "less hassle" idea...

You can fly in with Air Bagan on Thursdays and Sundays. Visa for Myanmar is available on arrivial and costs USD30 (28 days) plus two passport sized photos.

Not much point for a one day visa run, but for a few days holiday might be worth it. 7000Baht upwards for the flight (return)

i was informed that myanmar doesnt provide new non B visa?i

is this correct?

how about vientiene?

How long will it take by bus?

How much for the airfare return?

Any info would be cool... thanks.

cheerios

also yangoon is really dirty place or what???? lots of dangers on teh street???

Edited by gravion

A few months back I spent a few days in Taekilick (spelling?) This is the town in Myanmar near the Mae Sai border. I was told by the Myanmar immigration official that I was free to roam anyway within Taekilick (I think for up to 15 days) but I could not leave town heading further into Myanmar. For that you need to fly into a major city.

Edited by roger1999

Mae Sot is supposed to be reopened (as of Dec 5 2011 but I'm not sure if it happened), surely the bus would go that way? It was closed for a long time perhaps the info you've got is stale. I can't imagine why they'd go the (very) long way round via Mae Sai to get to Yangon...

Yangon's not the easiest place to get to from CM... If there's nobody going via Mae Sot, perhaps just get a bus to Mae Sot, get into Myanmar, then catch another bus from Myawaddy to Yangon... But I'm guessing so I hope somebody else has better info for you...

The idea of trying Yangon doesn't seem to fit in with the "less hassle" idea...

I believe that if crossing from Mae Sot that you have to stay within Myawaddy and within the same day whilst the bridge is open from 6am to 6 pm. ie it is not a crossing point for travel from Thailand to Burma. That was my latest info, but I could be corrected by anyone with more up to date info.

I believe that if crossing from Mae Sot that you have to stay within Myawaddy and within the same day whilst the bridge is open from 6am to 6 pm. ie it is not a crossing point for travel from Thailand to Burma. That was my latest info, but I could be corrected by anyone with more up to date info.

Hmm. Good to know I was half thinking of taking a drive to Yangon just for the adventure...

You can fly in with Air Bagan on Thursdays and Sundays. Visa for Myanmar is available on arrivial and costs USD30 (28 days) plus two passport sized photos.

Not much point for a one day visa run, but for a few days holiday might be worth it. 7000Baht upwards for the flight (return)

Visa on arrival? Are you sure? If correct this reverses what happened just before the election last year when they stopped VOA as they wanted to more closely control who was entering the country in the run up to the "vote".

I hope you are correct.

A few months back I spent a few days in Taekilick (spelling?) This is the town in Myanmar near the Mae Sai border. I was told by the Myanmar immigration official that I was free to roam anyway within Taekilick (I think for up to 15 days) but I could not leave town heading further into Myanmar. For that you need to fly into a major city.

I believe that is only partially true. Several months ago you were able to buy a visa that allowed you to travel to Kyiang Tong and Mong La (on the Chinese border). However, in order to go anywhere else in Myanmar from Thailand you would need to fly to Yangon from Thailand.

There is a pinned thread in the Chiang Rai forum that probably has more up-to-date info.

I believe that is only partially true. Several months ago you were able to buy a visa that allowed you to travel to Kyiang Tong and Mong La (on the Chinese border). However, in order to go anywhere else in Myanmar from Thailand you would need to fly to Yangon from Thailand.

There is a pinned thread in the Chiang Rai forum that probably has more up-to-date info.

Any news on what the latest is re visas for Myanmar?

Personally I am a big fan of our neighbour to the west and north (that's speaking from a travelling rather than political standpoint), and what a great place to combine travel and a visa run.

Get the funny feeling that we will all get a chance to visit Myanmar with a lot less palaver in the very near future as things are changing fast and people there are a lot more optimistic than they have been since the 1980's.

While it could still go seriously and nastily pear-shaped it is probably getting near the tipping point where change takes on a life of its own and becomes profound.

Think about it, some of the best beaches in the region around Thandwe are 300 miles due west of here, and if you want proper trekking in real mountains with tons of snow head for Putao, 500 miles north of here. Who knows some enterprising spark might sort out some skiing there. That could transform CM in to a regional hub rather than at the end of a cul de sac.

As I am heading off there again in a few weeks time I hope the post about VOA at Yangon is accurate as it will save loads of time and money compared to the current situation.

Oh Dear; post 10 refers to Chiang Mai becoming another Thai 'Hub'. This time we could become a 'Hub' for distant Ski Slopes it seems.

Well I would rather be in a hub than the wrong end of a cul de sac. Perhaps I should use the word nexus instead so as not to offend your sensibilities!