I Love Mae Rim - Internet Further Details?

TravelerEastWest

Mae Rim Internet Details?

Last month I posted a question about the internet in Chiang Mai with some great answers.

I thought Mae Rim was too far out but I have fallen in love with the views just outside the town and the house prices are reasonable.

I spoke to the 3BB shop in Mae Rim but they were not very helpful in terms of showing me a map with their premier 2500 baht 5 down 1 up coverage etc..

Basically I will have to ask neighbors their experience and give the 3BB shop telephone numbers and addresses to check.

Now I am just generally wondering is there any chance at all of 3BB on country roads 5 to 15km outside of the town?

So far from what I have heard after about 5km outside of Mae Rim TOT is the main option. This was from a teenager at an internet game shop so I am not sure how accurate the info is...

I need to use Vonage VOIP telephone to call my father quite often and I upload photos for a business website quite often - so the 3BB premier service is the only thing that has worked for me so far.

I can pay perhaps 5,000 plus per month or a one time fee of 30,000 or so for a new line/wire if this would help.

Any thoughts?

I suggest that you contact another 3BB location; there are about 17 in the Chiang Mai area. I, myself, have not found the one in Mae Rim to be very helpful at all. There's a 3BB desk at both Tesco Lotus locations, but I'm guessing that for those of us who prefer to discuss details in English, the ones with the most exposure to foreigners such as at the bottom level of Kad Suan Kaew might be most helpful. Here's a list of their shops: http://support.3bb.co.th/th/service/index.php?ref_id=&province_id=13

I suggest that you contact another 3BB location; there are about 17 in the Chiang Mai area. I, myself, have not found the one in Mae Rim to be very helpful at all. There's a 3BB desk at both Tesco Lotus locations, but I'm guessing that for those of us who prefer to discuss details in English, the ones with the most exposure to foreigners such as at the bottom level of Kad Suan Kaew might be most helpful. Here's a list of their shops: http://support.3bb.c...&province_id=13

A very good idea- thank you!

When in-country I just drive down the mountain into town to the Red Seat Internet shop which is run by one of the most attractive, enagaging, and just plain delightful Khon Muang woman in Mae Rim. Those who prefer women half their age need not apply.

When in-country I just drive down the mountain into town to the Red Seat Internet shop which is run by one of the most attractive, enagaging, and just plain delightful Khon Muang woman in Mae Rim. Those who prefer women half their age need not apply.

Sounds good for an emergency - thank you. However, I need the internet for business so it won't work on a daily basis.

I live in Maerim and use the internet extensively. Exactly where you live makes a big difference to which provider to use. I found that both f the TOT and TTT shops were helpful once I told them where I lived, however I use TOT business tariff because I found the normal tariff massively affected once the kids were not in school and in the internet shops.

I live in Maerim and use the internet extensively. Exactly where you live makes a big difference to which provider to use. I found that both f the TOT and TTT shops were helpful once I told them where I lived, however I use TOT business tariff because I found the normal tariff massively affected once the kids were not in school and in the internet shops.

I agree - If I use TOT I would want their business plan.

On the road through Mae Jo, about 5 to 8 kilometers further North of Mae Rim, I have 3BB in my wife's studio at her parents house. When I was trying to see if it was available, not one office I contacted said it was available. One day I saw a 3BB truck on the road in front of that house and asked them. They just happened to be there installing in other houses. I ordered on the spot and had it within about 3 days.

From what I could gather in that particular village, they had advertising posters up all along the roads. However, they needed enough subscribers to install the line. That makes sense to me.

When I went to the first 3BB office I took the Google Earth coordinates to them and they pulled it up on a map and told me the line was not pulled that far yet. They were correct.

So I would say until the line is available where ever your residence is going to be, then it will be available. 3BB seems to be trying to get subscribers all over.

I have 3BB premier in my house just outside Chiang Mai, and the 61 regular account at the studio past Mae Jo. I am happy with both of them so far.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

On the road through Mae Jo, about 5 to 8 kilometers further North of Mae Rim, I have 3BB in my wife's studio at her parents house. When I was trying to see if it was available, not one office I contacted said it was available. One day I saw a 3BB truck on the road in front of that house and asked them. They just happened to be there installing in other houses. I ordered on the spot and had it within about 3 days.

From what I could gather in that particular village, they had advertising posters up all along the roads. However, they needed enough subscribers to install the line. That makes sense to me.

When I went to the first 3BB office I took the Google Earth coordinates to them and they pulled it up on a map and told me the line was not pulled that far yet. They were correct.

So I would say until the line is available where ever your residence is going to be, then it will be available. 3BB seems to be trying to get subscribers all over.

I have 3BB premier in my house just outside Chiang Mai, and the 61 regular account at the studio past Mae Jo. I am happy with both of them so far.

MSPain

A good story - thank you.

It sounds like there are coverage limitations now but 3BB is expanding which is very good.

So perhaps I can get TOT to start and keep an eye out for those 3BB trucks.....