Insurance For A Classic Bike, And Motor Bike Licence Application

DEVATSAR

Hi all,

Just purchased a 1983 Honda VT 750cc , needs a full resto job, i have a full UK driving license for a car BUT havent got a motor bike licence for a big bike ie over 125 cc. Can i get a motor bike licence out here to ride the 750cc?. I am going to transport depatrment in Chonburi to get my car licence, can i get a motor bike licence as well ? Are there way / means,, do the authorities at the transport dep actually know what the English full Driving license means re class of vehicle you can actually drive/ride ?

Cheers all

paul

If you have an international driving license, which covers Motorbikes, they will give you a Thai license, valid for all motorbikes.

If only a license from your home country, you will have to do the full test, to get a Thai license.

Happened to me, even though I had a "five years" Thai car driving license and a Motorbike license from my home country...

• Like 1

I am going to transport depatrment in Chonburi to get my car licence, can i get a motor bike licence as well ?

Forget the International driving license. Just make the tests for Thai licenses,yes you need one for the bike and one for the car. Really easy, and it will be done in one day. Don't forget to bring the assortments of paperwork. smile.png

Forget the International driving license. Just make the tests for Thai licenses,yes you need one for the bike and one for the car. Really easy, and it will be done in one day. Don't forget to bring the assortments of paperwork. smile.png

NO, don't forget the international license!

If you have an international license from your home country, you will get a Thai license WITHOUT any test!

But you need the international one, the local license from your home country is not enough.

Edited by roban

NO, don't forget the international license!

If you have an international license from your home country, you will get a Thai license WITHOUT any test!

But you need the international one, the local license from your home country is not enough.

If you have a UK licence, get an IDP. The sub categories (A1) aren't recorded on the IDP, so a motorcycle is recorded category A (full licence). Although you will probably also need show your licence the UK categories are in lower case but DLT will most likely look for the international categories they recognise (upper case). It's a little different if you have an older licence, but again DLT may not pick it up.

If they don't accept the IDP and your licence for a motorcycle, then take the test. It's not hard. Don't forget you need a non-immigration visa to qualify for a licence.

Irrespective, of the mechanism, by which you get your licence. It's obvious you don't have a lot of riding experience. I suggest you purchase a smaller bike and gain some experience while you rebuild the Honda.

Good luck with the rebuild.

• Like 1