Food Prices Reaching The Extreme

elektrified

The first several years I lived here in CM, I did 80% of my shopping in Rimping as it was the best falang and thai shopping venue here, but then my economy forced me to slow down on Rimping and I now shop 80% in Makro and barely 10% in rimping. Still a great supermarket, but their prices have really gone up quicker than inflation.......with them, it's 'expansion' that we are paying for and the word is that Rimping will be the supermarket in the new Promanade mall.

I wish the Foodland market would set up shop here in CM to give rimping a little competition.

Something is definitely going on. 10 eggs at Big C at Jungceylon recently went from 48 baht per package to 68 baht per package! Crazy

10 large eggs 30 Baht in the market yesterday!

Farm gate price for eggs is 2 to 2.3 baht, size dependent. There is one lady who delivers flats of eggs to resturants, family have egg laying chicken farm near Lamphan. Look for this type of operation and you can get a good price and fresh eggs.

Something is definitely going on. 10 eggs at Big C at Jungceylon recently went from 48 baht per package to 68 baht per package! Crazy

10 large eggs 30 Baht in the market yesterday!

Farm gate price for eggs is 2 to 2.3 baht, size dependent. There is one lady who delivers flats of eggs to resturants, family have egg laying chicken farm near Lamphan. Look for this type of operation and you can get a good price and fresh eggs.

Sounds good for those who eat a lot of eggs. I don't, just observe the prices.

i made my own mayo for the first time about 4 days ago and wow - all that oil i had to use!!! it tasted fine, better than any stuff i have bought in thailand but I am thinking that maybe I need to stop eating it as its just loads of oil and an egg yoke - not too healthy.

Edited by nickmanchester2

i made my own mayo for the first time about 4 days ago and wow - all that oil i had to use!!! it tasted fine, better than any stuff i have bought in thailand but I am thinking that maybe I need to stop eating it as its just loads of oil and an egg yoke - not too healthy.

Use an oil thats high in omega 3, that makes it healthy lol crazy.gif

You put on salad so it balances out yes?

the stuff in jars and bags has just as much oil,but it's certainly cheap, unhealthy oil. And think about all the chemicals they're adding to give it a shelf life of over a year.

It is worrying me that we have gotten to a point where expats care about mayo prices.

I apologize to the city of Chiangmai that we can't offer a healthier expat community and suggest to the immigration department to check BMI and bank accounts before renewing a Visa.

It is worrying me that we have gotten to a point where expats care about mayo prices.

I apologize to the city of Chiangmai that we can't offer a healthier expat community and suggest to the immigration department to check BMI and bank accounts before renewing a Visa.

What kind of crazy response is that? The girl at Rimping said that many Thais were concerned about the prices as well. If you want to pay 260 Baht for a small bottle of mayo that's your business.

What kind of crazy response is that? The girl at Rimping said that many Thais were concerned about the prices as well. If you want to pay 260 Baht for a small bottle of mayo that's your business.

What is crazy about the response? My post refered to the expat-, not the local community.

Edited by Bangkokky

Whilst I most certainly wouldn't pay 260 Baht for a small bottle of mayo (I don't like it), I certainly agree, that if someone does want to pay the asking price, it's entirely their business.