Lcd Monitors.

Jockstar

As my previous thread regarding my monitor. I might go this weekend and buy a LCD monitor. I use my Pc for gaming quite alot. So need a decent one that will be up to the job. But at the same time i cant afford anything too expensive. A mate of mine has a 17" LCD Samsung. So what do you think? Costs and specs etc? What should i look for? Cheers in advance.

As my previous thread regarding my monitor. I might go this weekend and buy a LCD monitor. I use my Pc for gaming quite alot. So need a decent one that will be up to the job. But at the same time i cant afford anything too expensive. A mate of mine has a 17" LCD Samsung. So what do you think? Costs and specs etc? What should i look for? Cheers in advance.

I replied in your other thread. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 910T 19" digital LCD. Supports both DVI (digital) inputs and standard VGA input. The quality, resolution, brightness and contrast is outstanding. However, it may be outside of your budget at around 23k baht. The 913N (believe VGA only) has an 8ms response time which is quite good for gaming at around 17k. Then the 17" 713N is around 10k. I also have an LG 17" which I got sometime ago but the image quality is miles below the quality of my Samsung.

Edited by tywais

I replied in your other thread. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 910T 19" digital LCD. Supports both DVI (digital) inputs and standard VGA input. The quality, resolution, brightness and contrast is outstanding. However, it may be outside of your budget at around 23k baht. The 913N (believe VGA only) has an 8ms response time which is quite good for gaming at around 17k. Then the 17" 713N is around 10k. I also have an LG 17" which I got sometime ago but the image quality is miles below the quality of my Samsung.

So what sort of things am i looking for? Response time no more than 8ms? Anything else? Cheers.

So what sort of things am i looking for? Response time no more than 8ms? Anything else? Cheers.

A couple of links to read more and I'll stop hogging the posts:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050606/

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/

From what I've read 8-12ms is fine for gaming. Mine is 12ms and no problems with the games I play.

Edited by tywais

Still, if you are playing mainly FPS then I would still suggest a CRT monitor. I have a Samsung 19" Syncmaster 193P LCD monitor and its pin sharp for text, graphics, photos etc.... But just doesnt do justice to fast moving FPS games.

Those 8-12 ms response times are better than LCD's used to be,but its still not as good as CRT.

Still, if you are playing mainly FPS then I would still suggest a CRT monitor.  I have a Samsung 19" Syncmaster 193P LCD monitor and its pin sharp for text, graphics, photos etc....   But just doesnt do justice to fast moving FPS games.

Those 8-12 ms response times are better than LCD's used to be,but its still not as good as CRT.

8ms is fine for gaming, I love my Samsung.

The response time on your LCD is: 20 ms , which would not do justice to FPS games.

8 to 12 is the norm now, and Id never go back to a CRT.

Also make sure you have a video card that has DVI input, its digital, you will never have to mess with color settings etc.

A good DVI cable will cost you so try to find a monitor that includes it.

Edited by Baal

The refresh rates on most monitors are claimed on their full on / full off rate which is not very useful way of measuring it, some manufacturers also specifically make an LCD that on paper has excellent refresh rates but actually in real life doesnt,The Samsung is one of the most expensive 19" LCD Monitors around, It has rave reviews but its NOT good enough IMO for gaming with a fast FPS. Nor are the other two LCD displays I have, one of which has the 8ms response time.

Also theres not really such a thing as a GOOD DVI cable, its digital so it will either work or not for X resolution (higher resolution taked up more bandwidth), you can get a 1m DVI cable for 350 baht here in Thailand that works perfectly. Its only when you start talking about 5,10,15 metre runs that you need to spend any significant amount of money.

I think you would be better of buying say a 19" CRT, They are dirt cheap, for now and waiting till widescreen monitors become the norm for PC use. Thats the time to pick up an LCD monitor.

Edited by Ben@H3-Digital

Bought a LCD monitor today. Very nice. 15,500 baht. Its a BENQ and seems to meet the standards i was looking for. Will let you know what its like for playing games as i havent tried it yet for that. Too busy trying to sort out burning a DVD at the moment. :o

Bought a LCD monitor today. Very nice. 15,500 baht. Its a BENQ and seems to meet the standards i was looking for. Will let you know what its like for playing games as i havent tried it yet for that. Too busy trying to sort out burning a DVD at the moment.  :o

I have 17" Acer monitor always worked wwll - thinking of getting the 19" version next and will move to digital input.