Rhode Island Red Chicken

Thomaspaul

I crossed Araucana over leghorn/highline red, to give me hens that produced blue/green coloured eggs daily.

wow great stuff If you had crossed to a stright leghorn you would have got blue eggs, May I ask where did you get the Araucana Id like to find a male myself just for that job as my Leghorns are now in full lay... How do the Thais react to seeing green eggs ?

I crossed Araucana over leghorn/highline red, to give me hens that produced blue/green coloured eggs daily.

wow great stuff If you had crossed to a stright leghorn you would have got blue eggs, May I ask where did you get the Araucana Id like to find a male myself just for that job as my Leghorns are now in full lay... How do the Thais react to seeing green eggs ?

Sorry it was not in thailand.

Wife thought they were cool but wasn't sure about eat them. lol

They were easy to sell at a premium because of the novelty factor.

I know a man who has got 2 pair of Araucana in Thailand but they are to young yet, I am hoping he will lend me a cock bird for a few months

If you mate to a maran or any other dark brown egg layer you get a dark olive green egg from the cross... Think the chinese would go mad for them and think they are from a dragon

hi Andy,

is it possible that my layer hens develop into roosters?

my wife just says that seem to be the case with many...thus not too many eggs so far.

i am back home in a week, hope to sort things out then.

will put some photo if need, but they sure sounds like roosters there in the background when i call :)

I have just had the same trouble we brought 500 100% hens at day old 75% were male Ive got 20 roosters left and now my own stuff is in lay Ill not be having that problem again

The problem with red crossbreed chickens is sometimes what looks like a hen will crow at 20 weeks old and a nice looking young cock will drop an egg on the floor

Ive started to do leghorns now very very easy to sex at 2 weeks old, and these will replace all my red crossbreeds over the next year or so I am also gettinng ready for the plymouth barred rock to start to lay in the next few weeks then we will cross the hens to rhode island red cocks and make the first batch of black rock hens in Thailand 1,000,000% girls at day old and they lay for 5 years

I have just had the same trouble we brought 500 100% hens at day old 75% were male Ive got 20 roosters left and now my own stuff is in lay Ill not be having that problem again

The problem with red crossbreed chickens is sometimes what looks like a hen will crow at 20 weeks old and a nice looking young cock will drop an egg on the floor

Ive started to do leghorns now very very easy to sex at 2 weeks old, and these will replace all my red crossbreeds over the next year or so I am also gettinng ready for the plymouth barred rock to start to lay in the next few weeks then we will cross the hens to rhode island red cocks and make the first batch of black rock hens in Thailand 1,000,000% girls at day old and they lay for 5 years

just curious: can you go back if it turns out this way, to the one who you bought from and guaranteed that 100%?

since these all hens seem to sell for a premium, than a take your luck kind a buy.

I brought them off a thai , as all of you know once you hand over the money its gone how after 5 months can I say these chicks were off you , he could say prove it or ok swap them for these other 500 day olds

so I take it on the chin and smile I do not ever need to go back.

Ive now got 75% of the birds I need and so I can make most crosses to order like red star are a leghorn cross with a RIR, and this is good as you can give you any hen you want in about a month of ordering once i am in full swing

blue and green egg layers will be ready by the end of the year , as well as chocolate coloured egg layers, white and cream

all part of the big plan boys watch this space