Water Splash Stops New Bmw 320D

bkmbkk

Good idea, a snorkel would look good on a 3 series. The engine would be protected from ingesting water because it would stop when the electronics were drowned, well before water got to the intake. Now we just need a U-boat commander with a decent oven.

• Like 1

Hello,

Can I know if you had more problems later ?

Are you happy with the 3 series ? (even under the rain :-) )

It seems that Benz are more reliable than BMW, but maybe it is just a rumour ?

Thanks.

The engine was repaired.

It hold up another 10000 Km and than a conrod/crank gave in (no water this time).

Again the insurance company choose to repair - I was told by BMW Th that whatever I thought about another repair, it is solely up to the insurance company what thay want - so no new engine).

As every repair takes app 4 month for arguing,paper work and repair the car has been in the work shop for 7/8 month out of it's short life.

I don't blame the car, other than it will never be driven it in water deeper than 10 cm in the future. (look at BMW's home page, and you will see a warning now about driving in deep water)

The car in general is awsome, and that is why I am now getting the F30.

The car had no problem in heavy rain - I once drove from Bkk to Phuket in very heavy rain and aquaplanning and so on = no problem.

This was caused in slow driving condition on a flooded road where an oncomming truck caused a wave to slap imto the engine bay.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I just talked to my dealer, and he told me that they had four recent engine swaps because of flooding. BMW's have air intakes mounted very low. This is unfortunate, but its completely covered by BMW.

I'm pretty sure a good mechanic (one who does exhausts/intakes) could add intake piping and make the intake higher. BMW sedans seem quite low to the ground, so not sure how much that would help anyway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok - now I have the story.
She is driving in trafic and the water is up to app. half the rim. There is many cars and she is driving slowly after others.
A 10 wheel truck is comming opposite with - too high speed for conditions - and causes a wave to splash the car (quite good). Others (like Honda Jazz) drove on - the BMW stopped.
The BMW workshop has confirmed that water has entered the engine itself - so not a matter of electrical alone.
They are now taking the engine out of the car to check how much dammage it has suffered.
The insurance company apparently understand the issue, and says they will cover all costs incl. a new engine if they deside to change it instead of repair.
The situation now is to find out how much dammage and act to that - minor issue = repair, big issue = change to new engine.
I was told the insurance company has no interest in doing a cheap/bad job, as that will hunt them in the future with constant repairs.
I guess BMW is trying to do the best they can to keep their costumer happy as well - so I hope and pray it will be solved professionally.
I will return when dammage is checked.

I love the way Thais always blame others when they destroy something, this time it was the truck who make the car broken and not herself driving in flooding water up to the hood, buy a 4X4 pickup truck for your wife and use the BMW yourself in the future.

• Like 1