Is The Big Boss Thaksin Doling Out Goodies?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Is the big boss doling out goodies?

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

Though Thaksin Shinawatra is considered the "big boss" of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, he still needs support from different factions for his political moves - be it openly or secretly.

Political observers believe he might have had a lot to do with the Cabinet reshuffle - expected to involve 16 out of the 36 Cabinet members - even though his sister, Prime Minister Yingluck, vehemently denies it.

Many of Thaksin's trusted men are apparently staying on, while a few more are being added to the Cabinet list.

Politicians from different factions in the ruling party apparently took turns flying over to meet him - mostly in Dubai where he has been in self-exile - as rumours of a Cabinet reshuffle started doing the rounds. It is believed that these politicians had flown over to remind him about his promise to provide Cabinet seats for their people.

And indeed, a shake-up did take place, swiftly and earlier than expected. It could possibly have been because Thaksin wanted to avoid any repercussions.

There were clear signs of disappointment among some Pheu Thai MPs who failed to get into the Cabinet and among those who were shown the door. At a party meeting earlier this week, some MPs were heard heavily criticising the shake-up, complaining that a few ministers had managed to stay on despite their poor performance.

The Prime Minister's Office has reportedly submitted a list of new Cabinet members for royal approval.

Most of the seats are said to be shared among factions led by members of the Shinawatra family, including Yingluck, her sister Yaowapa Wongsawat, her former sister-in-law Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra and her brother Payap.

There are also other powerful factions in the ruling party - a group of some 40 MPs from the Northeast led by Pongsak Raktapongpisarn, who is Thaksin's right-hand man, the red shirts and Thaksin's friends from Class 10 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School.

Cabinet members appointed under Thaksin's quota - such as Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul and Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee - have managed to retain their seats.

Pheu Thai MP Sakda Kongpet, who is expected to become deputy education minister, said yesterday that he knew he would get to join the Cabinet after meeting Thaksin in Hong Kong before the New Year holiday. "I flew to meet Thaksin and learned about getting the post in advance," he said.

Red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua, who played a key role in the street protests against the Democrat-led government of Abhisit Vejjajiva in 2010, is expected to become deputy agriculture minister.

Thaksin's Class 10 friend, Transport Minister ACM Sukampol Suwannathat is likely to become defence minister. He is expected to "settle the score" between Class 10 and Class 12, which is led by Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Defence Minister General Yuthasak Sasiprapha is tipped to become deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs.

Sukampol is also expected to push for amendments to the Defence Ministry Administration Act allowing politicians greater involvement in Army personnel transfers - a sensitive issue that could lead to a conflict between the government and the military.

As for those within the party who don't end up with a Cabinet seat, Thaksin has jobs waiting for them as advisers and secretaries to ministers, which according to a party source, might be a tactic aimed at reinvigorating disappointed Pheu Thai MPs.

It might be interesting to see if the disappointed politicians settle for smaller rewards offered by the big boss.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-19

The Thai people where asked to wait 6 months before judging the sucess of the government. Well 6 months is here what now new traing for more incompetent a--kissers. 6 months is not enough time to learn the job of a minister let along become competent in preforming your job. But really who believes its about preformance other than the PTP brigade here at TV

• Like 2

Robert Amsterdam vented his spleen a day or two back and said words to the effect that Abhisit is responsible for the deaths during the red occupation. He continues, at the behest of his criminal boss, to exploit this line even though he sets himself up as a human rights lawyer. I've worked for a major human rights organisation and I know that their lawyers, as well as those of the UNCHR, tend not to make these kind of definite statements but allow a balanced view to come forward (using words such as 'it is alleged that' and so on). Amsterdam and his cronies are no doubt a major influence on the way that the great leader in exile works, his hand would have been very strongly played during this latest reshuffle. I fear for the future of Thailand with these ghastly manipulators hanging around, countering any form of democracy that this country so badly needs.

• Like 2

Robert Amsterdam vented his spleen a day or two back and said words to the effect that Abhisit is responsible for the deaths during the red occupation. He continues, at the behest of his criminal boss, to exploit this line even though he sets himself up as a human rights lawyer. I've worked for a major human rights organisation and I know that their lawyers, as well as those of the UNCHR, tend not to make these kind of definite statements but allow a balanced view to come forward (using words such as 'it is alleged that' and so on). Amsterdam and his cronies are no doubt a major influence on the way that the great leader in exile works, his hand would have been very strongly played during this latest reshuffle. I fear for the future of Thailand with these ghastly manipulators hanging around, countering any form of democracy that this country so badly needs.

I wish he'd fight for those thousands killed during his boss's drug war a few years back!

But then I remembered the families of those murdered don't pay as much as Mr. T

O course he still runs things and anyone who thinks he does not play a major role in the Thai government has rocks in their head. Old matey will keep moving the MP's around until he gets things exactly where he wants them and then he will be back.

• Like 1

Thai Airways puts on extra flights to Dubai due to demand...

Nepotism is in full swing? Expect the Shinawatra business empire to expanding in leaps and bounds. I should buy shares in them.

Edited by MaiChai

O course he still runs things and anyone who thinks he does not play a major role in the Thai government has rocks in their head. Old matey will keep moving the MP's around until he gets things exactly where he wants them and then he will be back.

I disagree with the last part.

Being in country for Mr. T would be very dangerous to his health and well being and I think that he is smart enough to know this.

But, if he want's back I say come on.

The Thais will take care of their business and then he won't be such a topic of discussion any more...

Since these Cabinet members was assigned not after election but later, even though they are in some cases elected MPs, I think - to avoid double-standards - we should deride them for not having the mandate or support of the people.

That is seemingly how some Red-apologists feel about new cabinet-setups that happen at any other point than right after elections. Well, they did, some weeks ago...

its so easy to give away what is not yourspassifier.gif

Lets make this clear he is paying for all he gives away, just to set you right

Yes, but with whose money?

His own money, oh I forgot, for the rightous, brainwashed members like Ratcatcher, selling his own communications company.coffee1.gif

They are like a bunch of retarded 13 year olds shuffling their toys around in the sandbox. These are really sad times for Thailand.

They are like a bunch of retarded 13 year olds shuffling their toys around in the sandbox. These are really sad times for Thailand.

who cares let them just get on with it and those who voted for them will just get what they deserve and serves them right. I for one have after 16+ years here just given up caring about greedy good for nothing feeding at trough while poor just carry on as normal and worship those stealing from them. Of course thye don't understand they are not meant to. You can only protect your own and weve taken about 50% of our asserts out now just in case as it could the whole mess explodes into a very violent and nasty end.

Maybe suggestions would be better then just complaining.

Just a suggestion...

Maybe suggestions would be better then just complaining.

Just a suggestion...

anyone with any sense and money should get at least 1/2 out of Thailand now before its to late. Other suggestion is dont worry about it those who voted will get what they deserve but even them probably wont have learnt a thing. If your rich your probably ok if your poor tough luck mate its not going to get any better. Just join ranks of Taksin worshipers and all will be ok when saviour comes.

anyone with any sense and money should get at least 1/2 out of Thailand now before its to late. Other suggestion is dont worry about it those who voted will get what they deserve but even them probably wont have learnt a thing. If your rich your probably ok if your poor tough luck mate its not going to get any better. Just join ranks of Taksin worshipers and all will be ok when saviour comes.

In my opinion getting your money out is chicken shit.

But then again I am invested in more countries then just here so what do I know.

I suppose being invested in just one country is like being a farmer that only grows one crop (of which I grow many).....

And yes, everyone get's what they deserve.

Or at least that what we Buddhists think. wai.gif

P.S. Joining the ranks of the wicked just makes you one.....

But then again I am invested in more countries then just here so what do I know.

I suppose being invested in just one country is like being a farmer that only grows one crop (of which I grow many).....

Based on these comment's would suggest you are smoking too much of the "many crops" you grow....wink.png

Based on these comment's would suggest you are smoking too much of the "many crops" you grow....wink.png

To be honest with you I quit smoking and drinking some time ago...