Immigration Moving To Jomtien

eyebee

Saw a sign up at the immigration office in soi 8 today that says it will be moving to Jomtien soi 5 on December 6th. Tomorrow they will only be open till midday, and then closed till they reopen in Jomtien.

Having to go all the way to Jomtien for 90 day reporting will feel like having to do a visa run. I hope companies will be set up to whisk us to Jomtien, after a hearty brekkie, for say 2000 baht. Otherwise it's a trip on the Jomtien songthaew - a fate worse than death! :o

Saw a sign up at the immigration office in soi 8 today that says it will be moving to Jomtien soi 5 on December 6th. Tomorrow they will only be open till midday, and then closed till they reopen in Jomtien.

Having to go all the way to Jomtien for 90 day reporting will feel like having to do a visa run. I hope companies will be set up to whisk us to Jomtien, after a hearty brekkie, for say 2000 baht. Otherwise it's a trip on the Jomtien songthaew - a fate worse than death! :o

I'm gonna be so happy, the new office is 300 mtrs from my front door :D

Please keep us all posted on the specific developement of reporting every 90 days by email. This would make sense and be the greatest thing since the importing of Peanut Butter to Kingdom started a number of years ago.

2000 Bt for a round trip from Pattaya to Jomtien??? I'll drive down from BKK and take you myself for that kind of cake!

2000 Bt for a round trip from Pattaya to Jomtien??? I'll drive down from BKK and take you myself for that kind of cake!

Sorry, should have added a :D !

They say soon you will be able to do 90 day reporting over the internet.

Barry

The Head of Pattaya Immigration recently told a friend of mine that, under current Thai law, reporting by E-mail isn't allowed, but that they are hoping to change that. Perhaps the form needs an original signature?

For the sake of those who would find this method of 90 day reporting more convenient then I hope that change is indeed in the air, considering the wide array of transactions etc generally that can be made over the internet nowadays.

The move to Jomtien will mean a little less in the pockets of the Baht Bus Drivers so far as I am concerned as I am within easy walking distance of the new office. Perhaps the business that will beneifit are the bars etc in the same Soi as the new office, patronised by those waiting for their applications etc to be processed. Also Jomtien Post Office is all of 100 metres away if you need their services.

Edited by Nuff Said

They say soon you will be able to do 90 day reporting over the internet.

Barry

The move to Jomtien will mean a little less in the pockets of the Baht Bus Drivers so far as I am concerned as I am within easy walking distance of the new office. Perhaps the business that will beneifit are the bars etc in the same Soi as the new office, patronised by those waiting for their applications etc to be processed. Also Jomtien Post Office is all of 100 metres away if you need their services.

Can't see any real difference to trade in the Soi

Were all the bars full of people when immigration was at soi 8, in the day time

Don’t think so :o

The baht bus drivers will profit from the move, sure as sure for that one.

Have a nice day.

I just posted this in The General Forum, but here it is for info in case the thread is rapidly relegated from view:

I went to the new Immigration Office on Soi 5 in Jomtien today.

imm3.JPG

Coming from Jomtien Beach Road, the two storey building is situated all the way along on the right, some 200 yards from the end of the Soi.

It has a reasonably sized courtyard for parking, but predictably the majority of space is taken up by staff vehicles. The raised flagpole stuck in the middle makes it interesting for manoeuvring around the haphazardly parked vehicles, but parking is currently not an issue as there is plenty of space to park in Soi 5.

imm1.JPG

On the left as you enter the compound, there is a row of one storey shops. The first one takes up two units and is a café: one of the units is decked out with tables and chairs, the other used as a kitchen.

At the end of the row and nearest the entrance is a unit that provides copying and photo services.

imm2.JPG

You can only get a minimum of two photos made at a cost of 100 Baht for the pair. I jokingly but negatively commented to the hard-faced woman who clearly manages the place on the price, to which her reply was that they now had ‘digital’ and ‘same-same before anyway’. Photocopies are 3 baht per page.

The units in between are in the process of being outfitted for whatever.

imm4.JPG

The opening hours of the Immigration Office are the same as in Soi 8, i.e. from 8.30am to 4.30 pm.

I asked the officer ‘interviewing’ me as to whether 90 Day reporting could be done on-line. Her reply was: “I hope so.” I tried to get more of a definitive answer from her, but she would say no more on the subject probably because saying ‘I don’t know’ seldom comes easily to Thai in authority.

Given that my visa extension was at her mercy, I chose not to push it and took it to mean ‘presently not the case’.

According to Khun Somsak, the portly affected officer who normally wears white and is in charge of Retirement Extensions (I could not help but spot the calendar on his desk with the December ‘model’ being a posing bloke dressed in a feathered white tutu of sorts), it seems that on Wednesdays all the staff participate in some sort of athletic pursuit. That explained the fact that everyone was wearing matching track suits and me calling him by his name without him wearing a name badge was not the reason for him sweating.

When I asked ‘Khun Pu’ (her spelling) if she enjoyed keeping fit, her scowl suggested that this was a compulsory activity.

For those planning to get to the office by Bahtbus, motocy taxi etc or using their own transport from the Pattaya direction, the optimum access would be the first Soi on the left as you make the sharp right-hand turn at the Hanuman statue down to the beach on Thappraya Road. The Immigration Office is probably about a five minute walk from the main road.

Soi 5 is the first Soi on the right past the Area Revenue building.