'Thailand recognizes Palestine as independent state'

News_Editor

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recognition is the right thing to do. I just wonder what Thailand's reasons for doing it are?

Good point. What's in it for Thailand? Besides a few more tourists.

or to stick a couple of fingers upto you know who.

Do they need any other reason than 'It's the right thing to do' Ask the other 126 countries Why.

But Thailand can expect to be punished. An Eye for an Eye is the Jewish style. They might even try to ruin Thai Tourism.

Now how would they do that???? Hmmmm!

I can see a couple of countries being a little miffed at Thailand over this issue, but really, do you think that with 126 countries on the same boat, do you think those countries are going to punish Thailand?

I would hope that there are bigger fish to fry than this issue. Thailand has long had a Foreign policy dominated by non-interference and a middle path, so to speak.

Historically, they were able to keep their independence, in part, by playing both sides for their own benefit. I would think other countries would know and recognize this. It's quite expected.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 1

The recognition is the right thing to do. I just wonder what Thailand's reasons for doing it are?

A Hezbollah terrorist was caught attempting to make a huge bomb, probably so he could blow up Khao San and the Israeli guesthouse there. Seems like they want to remove themselves as a possible to target and get them to not bomb Thailand

Apropos this, the terrorist in question claims he was set up by mossad, which I'm sure would be a story swallowed by a few posters here. giggle.gif

BANGKOK -- A Swedish man of Lebanese descent accused of planning a terror attack in Bangkok says he is innocent and claims Israeli intelligence service Mossad set him up.

Atris Hussein, 47, who was charged Monday with violating a weapons control law after a large amount of fertilizer and ammonium nitrate -- which can be used to make a bomb -- was found in a property he rented, told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet he was, "100 percent innocent."

I think there is a thread or two in the Thai news section on the bomber, so we can confine our discussion to topic in the OP. If you wish mention this, then please tie it in and link it something relevant to the topic.

I do not believe that it is possible for a country to recognize another country without a number of internal discussions going on and putting the recognition together is not something that happens that quickly. I doubt it is related to the situation with the Lebanese man, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

Good point. What's in it for Thailand? Besides a few more tourists.

or to stick a couple of fingers upto you know who.

Do they need any other reason than 'It's the right thing to do' Ask the other 126 countries Why.

But Thailand can expect to be punished. An Eye for an Eye is the Jewish style. They might even try to ruin Thai Tourism.

Now how would they do that???? Hmmmm!

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - - Charles Bukowski

• Like 1

I think there is a thread or two in the Thai news section on the bomber, so we can confine our discussion to topic in the OP. If you wish mention this, then please tie it in and link it something relevant to the topic.

I do not believe that it is possible for a country to recognize another country without a number of internal discussions going on and putting the recognition together is not something that happens that quickly. I doubt it is related to the situation with the Lebanese man, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

It was only two months ago that UNESCO had a vote on Palestine becoming a member, and Thailand didn't vote in favor of allowing them in. All that has changed since then was the discovery of 4000kg of bomb making material belonging to a supposed member of Hezbollah in suburban Bangkok

• Like 2

Thats great news. Hopefully Palestine will be freed from it aggressors sooner rather than later.

Free palestine clap2.gif

Has anyone considered the fact that Hamas don't want an independent Palestinian state as with it will come responsibilities and the international criminal court to take an interest if they misbehave.

As for the argument that this gives Thailand some anti-terrorist insurance policy blink.png All I can say apart from how staggeringly naive is that once you start giving in to threats or intimidation by terrorists they will repeat the trick again and again. I suppose when you have red shirts as your power base this sort of thinking becomes automatic though.

Your first paragraph is typically ignorant of Hamas's stance. Their policy is that they will recognise Israel when Israel recognises a fully independent Palestinian state.

Although not normally a supporter, I applaud the current government for this - if it is true. I doubt very much that this is due to any intimidation but the coincidence with the Israeli-US terrorist 'threat' may well have pushed the Thais to show two fingers to 'big brother'.

Regarding Hamas's stance - I think you'll find that the Hamas speaks with a few voices on this. There are enough declaration which could be labeled anti-Jewish and not just anti-Israel. Then again, you got some of them saying it's a more focused thing.

This has to both with identity of Hamas member making the declaration, and the venue or media being addressed.

Just a couple of questions and points. First, I would guess that this recognition was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. I assume it takes some time to get the paperwork ready, check on the different protocols involved etc. Does anyone know how long this takes? (I note the recognition has been sent to the UN).

Secondly, is there a good reason for Thailand not to recognize Palestine? The Thais have little direct involvement in the Middle East-US-Israeli-Iran tensions. Are there any repercussions taken on countries that recognize Palestine? It seems there are quite a lot of countries who have recognized Palestine, they seem to lose nothing by doing this other than making a small number of countries unhappy.

Thoughts please.

There were quite a few South American countries which recognised Palestine recently. Media reports about their intentions and Israel efforts (not very successful) to change that appeared a few months earlier. So I would imagine getting everything ready takes some time. That said, one of the sides can always jump the gun and go public before it's actually signed.

I don't think that there are any real repercussions. Israel got good trade relations with quite a few of those countries. Same goes for tourism: it's not a major consideration, and not sure all that many Israelis are aware (or care much) of it once the short media blitz is over.

At most, the Thai embassador will get a lecture from the Foreign Ministry, and the Israeli embassador here will meet with someone here.

Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Edited by Morch

From the OP: "The office of al-Maliki said it established communications with the Thai government after the new government of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra took office in August 2011."

Also, there was an article a few months ago via Palestinian media: http://www.maannews.....aspx?ID=415384 It appears the government of Yingluck Shinawatra was supportive of this move since day 1. The article notes Thai recognition of Palestine was on the agenda.

Edited by mpoppel

I can see a couple of countries being a little miffed at Thailand over this issue, but really, do you think that with 126 countries on the same boat, do you think those countries are going to punish Thailand?

I would hope that there are bigger fish to fry than this issue. Thailand has long had a Foreign policy dominated by non-interference and a middle path, so to speak.

Historically, they were able to keep their independence, in part, by playing both sides for their own benefit. I would think other countries would know and recognize this. It's quite expected.

Punish for what reason?

What have they done wrong. Infact they have a very good thing. About time i say.

It was only two months ago that UNESCO had a vote on Palestine becoming a member, and Thailand didn't vote in favor of allowing them in. All that has changed since then was the discovery of 4000kg of bomb making material belonging to a supposed member of Hezbollah in suburban Bangkok

So you are sure there was no other contact between the Palestinians and the Thais? No lobbying? No attempt to convince them of anything?

Your assumption seems to indicate they got miffed at the US and so decided to recognize Palestine. And they did this and then managed to get the paperwork ready and get it to the UN in a matter of days? So much for the argument that it was the 'right thing to do.'

The timing of the announcement may have been more than happenstance, but the recognition I don't think was.

From the OP: "The office of al-Maliki said it established communications with the Thai government after the new government of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra took office in August 2011."

Also, there was an article a few months ago via Palestinian media: http://www.maannews.....aspx?ID=415384 It appears the government of Yingluck Shinawatra was supportive of this move since day 1. The article notes Thai recognition of Palestine was on the agenda.

I think it would be a fair bet to say that this was in the works quite some time before that, rather than having to do with one government or another. As far as I know, the Democrat party doesn't have very different ideas on the matter (well, they could have NOW, since as opposition they're obliged to react to things the govrenment does). More a Ministry of Foreign Affairs thing than party policy.

Edited by Morch

So you are sure there was no other contact between the Palestinians and the Thais? No lobbying? No attempt to convince them of anything?

Your assumption seems to indicate they got miffed at the US and so decided to recognize Palestine. And they did this and then managed to get the paperwork ready and get it to the UN in a matter of days? So much for the argument that it was the 'right thing to do.'

The timing of the announcement may have been more than happenstance, but the recognition I don't think was.

I'm sure they lobby all the time, and the Thais may say lots of polite, diplomatic, and non binding things in response. But 2 months ago Thailand had the opportunity to vote in favour of Palestine becoming a member of UNESCO...and they did not do so. Most countries in the world did. The only Asian countries joining Thailand were South Korea, Japan, and Singapore.

I don't think they did this because they are miffed at the US, but because they realize they are a target of large scale international terrorism. Supporting Palestine can help make Thailand less of a target.

The world no longer knows Thailand as a peaceful country. During the past several years Thailand has been in the international news for all kinds of disruptions. The Yellows occupied the airport. After the Reds were organized they conducted riots, to include attacking Asean leaders meeting in Thailand. The Asean heads of government had to be airlifted off the roof of the conference center. The commercial center of Bangkok was burned to the ground and Thais shot by the army.

Now the reds are in government, Thaksin has become a long time resident in the Middle East and Hezbollah connected operatives are revealed by foreign intelligence and security agencies. The Thai government's silence on the recognition of Palestine announcement in Palestine is wormy. It's sort of like hiding behind grandma's dress.

It's silly of Yingluck to announce formation of a committee to decide what to do if the US Government doesn't remove the caution warning from its DepState and US Embassy website after one or two more weeks. "I'll give you two weeks to take back what you said or..."

It's a buffalo government by any name.

Edited by Scott
edited out

Thats great news. Hopefully Palestine will be freed from it aggressors sooner rather than later.

Free palestine clap2.gif

Has anyone considered the fact that Hamas don't want an independent Palestinian state as with it will come responsibilities and the international criminal court to take an interest if they misbehave.

As for the argument that this gives Thailand some anti-terrorist insurance policy blink.png All I can say apart from how staggeringly naive is that once you start giving in to threats or intimidation by terrorists they will repeat the trick again and again. I suppose when you have red shirts as your power base this sort of thinking becomes automatic though.

Your first paragraph is typically ignorant of Hamas's stance. Their policy is that they will recognise Israel when Israel recognises a fully independent Palestinian state.

Although not normally a supporter, I applaud the current government for this - if it is true. I doubt very much that this is due to any intimidation but the coincidence with the Israeli-US terrorist 'threat' may well have pushed the Thais to show two fingers to 'big brother'.

Wrong, they want israel gone and another apartheid theocracy put in its place. Jordan was formed out of what was referred to as the Palestian territories, so Jordan is the Palestian state, why does there need to be another one.

Hamas's 1988 charter calls for the replacement of Israel and the Palestinian Territories with an Islamic Palestinian state. After the elections in 2006, Hamas co-founder Mahmoud Al-Zahar did not rule out the possibility of accepting a "temporary two-state solution", and stated that he dreamed "of hanging a huge map of the world on the wall at my Gaza home which does not show Israel on it."

The Hamas Charter (or Covenant), issued in 1988, outlined the organization's position on many issues at the time, identifies Hamas as the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine and declares its members to be Muslims who "fear God and raise the banner of Jihad in the face of the oppressors." The charter states "our struggle against the Jews is very great and very serious" and calls for the eventual creation of an Islamic state in Palestine, in place of Israel and the Palestinian Territories, and the obliteration or dissolution of Israel. The Charter also asserts that through shrewd manipulation of imperial countries and secret societies, Zionists were behind a wide range of events and disasters going as far back in history as the French Revolution. Among the charter's controversial statements is the following: "The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews [and kill them]; until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: Oh Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him!” The document also quotes Islamic religious texts to provide justification for fighting against and killing the Jews of Israel, presenting the Arab-Israeli conflict as an inherently irreconcilable struggle between Jews and Muslims, and Judaism and Islam, adding that the only way to engage in this struggle between "truth and falsehood" is through Islam and by means of jihad, until victory or martyrdom. The Charter adds that "renouncing any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion" of Islam The charter states that Hamas is humanistic, and tolerant of other religions as long as they do not block Hamas's efforts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

• Like 1

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - - Charles Bukowski

I very much doubt that statement!...........................Doh!

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.

-Homer

We can argue the Palestinian situation until the cows come home, but the point for Thailand is two-fold:

1. They have a southern insurgency that has it's roots in Islam. Thailand is adamant about keeping this problem internal and not allowing for international intervention of any kind (that would include those supporting terrorism.

2. Historically, they have been quite adept and preserving their own interests by playing one side against the other.

By recognizing Palestine, they will suffer very little from the anti-Palestinian group and they have a lot to gain from the Arab world. Those extremists interested in the treatment of their Southern bretheren may be encouraged to stay out of the Thai situation. The same is true for Hezbollah.

By allowing relatively easy transit of extremists and their business, they may avoid becoming a target. One doesn't usually poop where one eats.

For Thailand, pretty much win-win.

• Like 1

We can argue the Palestinian situation until the cows come home, but the point for Thailand is two-fold:

1. They have a southern insurgency that has it's roots in Islam. Thailand is adamant about keeping this problem internal and not allowing for international intervention of any kind (that would include those supporting terrorism.

2. Historically, they have been quite adept and preserving their own interests by playing one side against the other.

By recognizing Palestine, they will suffer very little from the anti-Palestinian group and they have a lot to gain from the Arab world. Those extremists interested in the treatment of their Southern bretheren may be encouraged to stay out of the Thai situation. The same is true for Hezbollah.

By allowing relatively easy transit of extremists and their business, they may avoid becoming a target. One doesn't usually poop where one eats.

I agree with much of what you wrote. Yes historically Thailand probably avoided being colonized by playing off British and French interests and serving in effect as a buffer zone to stop the two colonial powers from clashing directly with each other. I do chuckle to myself when the universal Palestinian grievance red herring makes an appearance. It was used misguidedly in the UK to 'explain' the 7/7 bombings as said grievance supposedly motivated the bombers, now I see the same flawed reasoning is making an airing here. Perhaps there may be even a temporary restbite from violence in the deep south to 'prove' the theory, but just as with Hamas accepting the 67 borders as a temporary truce to provide a platform from which to annihilate Israel at a future date the insurgents in the deep south will never give up until every inch of what was once 'Muslim land' is returned to them.

The British and French eras of colonization eventually ebbed and Thailand emerged unscathed, I suspect the fate of the southern Thai provinces hinges on whether or not radical (PC qualifier) Islam also ebbs with time.

It sounds like Thailand is a State Facilitator of Terrorism or at least a Safe Haven for Terrorist.

I wonder how PM Yingluck will explain that to her new friend Philippine President Aquino that Thailand is allowing terrorists to stage attacks on the Philippines from Thailand, assuming you believe the arrested terrorists about saying Thailand was not the target and so the Philippines might have been.

Regardless, which ever country was the target, how should they feel about Thailand facilitating terrorist attacks against their countries?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/527416-yingluck-is-perfect-for-president-aquino/page__fromsearch__1