V-Net Test

rockderk

My students asked me if I could check their answers to the 2010 test, which they were using as a study guide / practice test. It resembles a typical TOEIC test with charts and graphs, facts and figures etc., followed by fairly tough vocab. questions. I waded through several questions my students had queries about, explaining the answers as I went. On the first page I noticed several typos, which I pointed out to the students. But on the second and third pages, the mistakes pretty much took over. After a thorough check, I found that on one page, around 40% of the questions contained mistakes which rendered them unanswerable. Around 50% of the questions had typos which could cause the test taker to misunderstand, or choose the wrong answer. In short, the test was an utter disgrace. I find it infuriating that the Department of Vocational Education, or whichever body is responsible for producing this piece of trash and calling it a National Education Test is apparently incapable of having it proofread or edited.

I'd be interested in comments from other vocational school teachers re. the V-NET. I'd also love to know exactly who is responsible for constructing the test; what kind of checks - if any - are done and / or who signs off on it for printing and distribution in this, the year of learning English.

• Like 1

"I'd also love to know exactly who is responsible for constructing the test"

I can assure you it will not be a farang who speaks English as their mother tongue.....that is for certain, hey after after all what to Farangs know about speaking English ? Kon Thai knows best...wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

why not send a copy of the test to a few newspapers.stir things up a bit?

And what newspapers would these be?

The same establishment broadsheets that are akin to the educational establishment?

Birds of a feather....

why not send a copy of the test to a few newspapers.stir things up a bit?

And what newspapers would these be?

The same establishment broadsheets that are akin to the educational establishment?

Birds of a feather....

Yeah the same papers full of ads for the schoolsgiggle.gif

I work as a consultant for five different companies that are concerned about the standard of their corporate English and their employees English.

I sign the employees time cards when I tutor them as they are getting paid to take my class in business English. The executives email me sales proposals to check for English mistakes.

I just switched my computers to Ubuntu 11.10 because of a True Move connection problem with an older version and I can't figure out how to toggle the keyboard to type Thai. I have been pleased to see my students deal with English only typing as there is now no alternative.

Last night I ate dinner with a family that spoke Issan, English, Thai and Khmer during the course of a normal dining experience. It is a good thing that my GF can converse in all those languages because it helped me understand the social dynamics of the dinner table discourse.

Of course one can give up and say everyone is on the take so it doesn't make any difference but I see too many people in everyday life that are trying to communicate in different languages to give up on trying to help. I keep a notebook with me at all times to jot down words and phrases to try and improve my Thai and I'm an old fellow with a short future at best but still I try.

The story would be a lot better if we had some examples of the test.

Stay tuned .. I wasn't actually given a copy for myself - it was only when the victims of the scam [my students] came to me for help that I heard about them having to do the 'test' at all. I have a feeling the Thai faculty in this neck of the woods didn't want me to see it. After all, I'm only the Academic Director of English programs.