Verrucas And Corns - Where Did They Come From?

RDN

For the last couple of months I've been getting rid of some verrucas and corns from my feet. They've nearly all gone now, but I was wondering how common they are given the Thai custom of taking off your shoes/sandals/flip-flops and walking over somebody else's clean or dirty floor.

I never had a verruca before - neither in England or Bangkok - but they appeared after a year of living in Phuket.

I am now quite loathe to slip off my flip-flops if I enter a "clean" Thai shop or house as I don't want to go through the same pain as I just have.

Anyone else have a problem with them?

For the last couple of months I've been getting rid of some verrucas and corns from my feet. They've nearly all gone now, but I was wondering how common they are given the Thai custom of taking off your shoes/sandals/flip-flops and walking over somebody else's clean or dirty floor.

I never had a verruca before - neither in England or Bangkok - but they appeared after a year of living in Phuket.

I am now quite loathe to slip off my flip-flops if I enter a "clean" Thai shop or house as I don't want to go through the same pain as I just have.

...if you cut down on: eggs, chicken, pork, hydrogenated oils & fried foods; and try 1000mg Vitamin C & 400mg of Vitamin E=daily, drink lots of good water with fresh lemon juice the bulging vains should get smaller & quite possibly. dissapear.

Edited by JRinger

I have had a verucca for 30 years.....Used to shave it back with a razor to take the pressure off. They can be surgically removed and there are wart treatments that take time but eventually work. another treatment I heard of was soaking your foot in aluminium sulphate solution but it is not, AFAIK, a proven treatment.

I apply Duofilm to mine every now and again and find that keeps the pressure off the core of the veruuca. Should apply it everyday till its gone but I keep forgetting.

I have never heard of anyone getting one from using the same shower as me or walking on the same floor I have walked on. I got mine from Army boots when I first joined up, I hadnt worn heavy boots before.

Glad to hear you have nearly got rid of them though, they can be painful if you let them build up and start putting pressure on the core.

Interesting is that the google ad at the top of the page includes Plantar warts which are the same thing as veruccas.

Edited by gburns57au

...if you cut down on: eggs, chicken, pork, hydrogenated oils & fried foods; and try 1000mg Vitamin C & 400mg of Vitamin E=daily, drink lots of good water with fresh lemon juice the bulging vains should get smaller & quite possibly. dissapear.

????

What are you on about....veruccas and corns are nothing to do with veins ???

????

....wasn't wearing my glasses, thought I was reading 'vericose' :o

????

....wasn't wearing my glasses, thought I was reading 'vericose' :o

:D:D:D

For the last couple of months I've been getting rid of some verrucas and corns from my feet.

Verrucas are caused by the human papilloma virus. There must be some break in the skin to be infected.

Corns are caused by pressure and friction.

Plantar warts are just warts on the bottom of the foot. Because of the weight of the body they grow up into the foot, and are usually quite painful.

So, to avoid infection, keep the bottom of your feet in good condition. Wear a waterproof bandaid if you have any breaks in the skin there. Quite frankly, going barefoot more (but in a known clean place, like home!) will help toughen up the skin so it will be damaged less easily. I remember that I could walk on broken glass without cutting my feet as a child, due to going barefoot all summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think dirty wet places are the worst; swimming pools when I was doing triathalons (and my feet soles were all beat up from running around on beach and stuff) I had them all the time.

But then I discovered windsurfing, and because the board is like sandpaper, i keep ripping them out so I have a hole in my foot, but no veruca. :-)

So now, just have 2 on the side of my heel...how to get rid of those ones? Maybe some OTC medicine.

For the most part I don't think people's homes are too bad, as mostly this is the disease I always got in farang countries, not here./