Itunes Upgrade All Apps Disapeared

Lost in LOS

I just did the lates upgrade for itunes. All my music disapeared from itunes on my imac, 1000 songs. All my apps disapeared, 150+. Looked everywhere and cant restore them. I clicked on apps on the left hand side which always displays all my apps and there arnet any.

turned itunes on and off, rebooted computer, rebooted iphone, nothing works

went to my iphone and there were just the originals. went to app update on my iphone and showed none. Went to update and clicked on purchaced and i see all my apps [not on itunes]. l clicked on one of them and it says install? I said install and it wound up on my screen. I synced to computer itunes and it showed up, just the one. This could take forever to upload each one again from my phone.

what happened, how do I fix this?

That happened to me but if you search you might find there still there

found where imac stores the backup music and apps. it is called iTunes Media on my hard drive. when i click on music I see my songs, when I click on apps I see them. None of that shows up in the itunes window though. The apps on the phone is the one I am worried about.. I am trying to do a restore on my phone now but i dont have high hopes. My phone was set up perfectly, what a bummer, very time consuming to get it all back, if I can

update. I found that from the "mobile applications" I could slide all my apps over to apps on my itunes and they show up. I guess I can do that with the music. Now I have to set all teh settings and layout on my phone. Be carefull with the itunes update, didnt work out well for me

It's not too big of a deal. I had to wipe my hard drive and rebuild the system and re install every application. But you did remind me to download all 300 and something apps from the app store. You go to the App Store and click on "purchased" then "download all that's not on this computer." The music is a bit more of a pain. I had all the music files and more, but I didn't want to look at a bunch of different music files to find what was on my iPod Touch and iPad. So I used Senuti and transferred the song I liked the most back to iTunes.... Oh, and if you use Caron Cloner for backup, it saves a lot of time! It's better IMO than Time Machine! It saves the whole system and setting, no migration involved... But I have to agree that iTunes is not a very good program when something goes wrong.

Edited by Jimi007

It's not too big of a deal. I had to wipe my hard drive and rebuild the system and re install every application.

never done this .. since os 10 came out and this was in early 2000 or so for the beta's

wipe everything is very much windows-thinking

but Jimi007 is right .. it is actually pretty easy to get "EVERYTHING" on a new machine with a few mouseclicks ..

thanks to MobileMe/iCloud .. and Unix based management of settings

no matter if its a mac, iphone/pod or whatever.

this functionality allowed me to switch the iphone right in the shop including all history mails and contacts .. (even the seller was suprised)

its just working ;)

anyway about the initial problem, this error comes most likely from a previously installed beta version of iTunes ...

I'm not at all iTunes savvy. I can barely sync with my iPhone4.

However, a friend of mine has an iPod and seems to have a problem. He says he erroneously "deleted" a bunch of purchases on the iTunes store, but still has them on his iPod. He is afraid to go online to the iTunes store as he's afraid it will synch with his iPod and delete these songs from his iPod.

Since this thread is about "losing" things via iTunes I thought I'd ask on this thread:

Can he actually delete purchased items from the iTunes store ON the iTunes store? If so, is there a way to un-delete them? (I think he did this quite a long time ago.)

Is there a way to protect songs on a iPod from deleting during an online synch session?

It's not too big of a deal. I had to wipe my hard drive and rebuild the system and re install every application.

never done this .. since os 10 came out and this was in early 2000 or so for the beta's

wipe everything is very much windows-thinking

but Jimi007 is right .. it is actually pretty easy to get "EVERYTHING" on a new machine with a few mouseclicks ..

thanks to MobileMe/iCloud .. and Unix based management of settings

no matter if its a mac, iphone/pod or whatever.

this functionality allowed me to switch the iphone right in the shop including all history mails and contacts .. (even the seller was suprised)

its just working wink.png

anyway about the initial problem, this error comes most likely from a previously installed beta version of iTunes ...

Well you've never had a deep root problem with a drive on a Mac then. I've been using Mac's since OS 7 and 8. But I had uninstalled some Adobe software on a drive with system 10.6.8 and it had been crashing a lot ever since. The one pass erase did nothing to help... I talked to a friend that owns Apple repair shops in California, who told me Adobe software can leave behind some deep root information that can mess with the OS. I had installed 10.7.2 before he told me and it was a total mess. So, I went back to 10.6.8 and things ran better. But then another system problem. Then when I ran off an external firewire 800 drive that I had backed up to using Carbon Cloner, it ran fine. That's when the lightbulb went off in my head and I wiped the drive as securely as I could. I wiped it with the 32 pass secure erase and now it works fine again... When the first major system crash happened, my backup drive failed the week before. I had just shipped it back to replacement under warranty, when my internal hard drive system wouldn't boot. Bad timing!

Edited by Jimi007

I'm not at all iTunes savvy. I can barely sync with my iPhone4.

However, a friend of mine has an iPod and seems to have a problem. He says he erroneously "deleted" a bunch of purchases on the iTunes store, but still has them on his iPod. He is afraid to go online to the iTunes store as he's afraid it will synch with his iPod and delete these songs from his iPod.

Since this thread is about "losing" things via iTunes I thought I'd ask on this thread:

Can he actually delete purchased items from the iTunes store ON the iTunes store? If so, is there a way to un-delete them? (I think he did this quite a long time ago.)

Is there a way to protect songs on a iPod from deleting during an online synch session?

If he's sure he purchased them from iTunes, he should be able to go online with a computer and see that he has purchased them and they should be free to download again. If he's not sure he purchased the songs from the iTunes Store, he can use a program like Senuti to back up his music to his computer's hard drive and iTunes. Or back them up in iCloud. I never bothered to try using it as it stores so little for free.

Edited by Jimi007

on my mac the itunes backup file is called "iTunes Media on my hard drive" see if you can find that and then all your music and apps will be there.

I highlighted all the music and slid them into itunes, music back.

I highlighted all the apps and slid them into itunes under apps, all back. Only problem with this is my screen was not organized and had to reorginize but have all my apps again

I had a backup of my playlists outside of itunes and slid them into my iphone and that was all back

pain in the *ss but it works for anyone with the same problem. note: my friend did the same itunes upgrade with no problems, not sure why mine went south

Note: make sure you tell you itunes to keep everthing backed up outside itunes. itunes>Preferences>advanced preferences>click copy files to folder - you can see in that window where your files are saved, they will all be there