PM Yingluck Announces 2012 Flood Management Master Plan

webfact

PM announces 2012 flood management master plan

image_20120120164614FA825D88-D235-6C69-586508BB0AB882D0.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 20 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday announced her government’s water management 2012 master plan to increase the efficiency of the flood-prevention system and to integrate water management operations to speed draining water into the sea.

In announcing the water management master plan of the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM), the premier said the large amount of rainfall, triggered by tropical storms from June through October, 2011, on average 39 per cent in the North and 22 per cent over the Central Plain, caused flash floods and flooding affecting 400,000 households and killing 676 persons. Environmental damage costing Bt1.42 trillion occurred and about one million labourers were affected.

She said the government realised it is important to lay out a sustainable water system and to restore confidence among the public, farmers, businesspeople and investors.

Under the plan, three main principles are to improve the flood prevention system, to build confidence in preventing floods in residential areas, farmland, business and industrial areas and lastly to integrate the cooperation of agencies concerned in draining water rapidly into the sea.

Ms Yingluck said the water management guidelines will focus on forestation of upstream water sources in line with His Majesty King Bhumibol’s initiative.

Slowing down water streams and building dykes will prevent severe torrents of water. In the central region, floodways and water retention area will be the focus. Speedy water drainage into the sea will be an important matter for downstream areas.

The prime minister said the 2012 action plan is to minimise damage. A budget of Bt18.1 billion has been allocated to create data, forecasting and warning systems which are efficient and integrated. A national water information centre will be set up to forecast the up-to-date water situation and issue warnings.

In industrial areas, flood walls, sluice gates and water pumping stations will be built to protect industrial estates. Roads will be built to be also used as dykes. Soft loans and a Bt50 billion insurance fund will be set up to build confidence among investors.

The prime minister said an integrated water management organisation in a form of single command will be established to handle the whole water management system including improvement of warning system and response to an emergency.

Flood rehabilitation will be improved and public and private participation will be encouraged. Sustainable flood relief action plan targets to adjust water resource management by developing data, forecast and warning systems with a budget of three billion baht.

A budget of Bt60 billion will be allocated for forest and ecosystem rehabilitation and another Bt60 billion for designation of ten water retention areas and assistance for affected people. Extra compensation will be provided people affected by the measure to change about two million rai of areas currently used for irrigation farming into water retention basins during the rainy season. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-20

It will happen again. This year will see a lot of rainfall. The tendency continues. The south has daily rainfall and it is above average by a big amount. Isolated showers and thunderstorms happen right now in the Centre, North and North-East which is uncommon for January. I witnessed 2 heavy rainfalls in the western Bangkok this January. That's a lot already for January. Also, the weathermen predict a rainy Summer. To prevent the major floods of 2012 requires more than just a plan, it requires years of hard work and investment. I don't see it to happen soon. The recent floods really affected the well-being of central Thailand. Right now they can't repair the damaged roads and cover potholes and I can't see them put the plan in practice. It's just a promise and nothing else. Just let's hope the rainy season won't be too active in the North and North-East, otherwise the floods will happen again in the floodplain (most of central provinces).

It's been too late for decades.

Stop turning natural flood plains into concrete covered wastelands.

No one really seems to be getting it.

The extreme flooding cycle will repeat itself over and again.

Civilised infrastructure. Ain't it grand?

It will happen again. This year will see a lot of rainfall. The tendency continues. The south has daily rainfall and it is above average by a big amount. Isolated showers and thunderstorms happen right now in the Centre, North and North-East which is uncommon for January. I witnessed 2 heavy rainfalls in the western Bangkok this January. That's a lot already for January. Also, the weathermen predict a rainy Summer. To prevent the major floods of 2012 requires more than just a plan, it requires years of hard work and investment. I don't see it to happen soon. The recent floods really affected the well-being of central Thailand. Right now they can't repair the damaged roads and cover potholes and I can't see them put the plan in practice. It's just a promise and nothing else. Just let's hope the rainy season won't be too active in the North and North-East, otherwise the floods will happen again in the floodplain (most of central provinces).

I agree. Mismanagment of the water-problem is for longtime Thai tradition.

But last year the mismanagement was topped. Two months before the big rains in the North, the Bhumipon Dam was full to 98%. All technical staff (one in my family) wanted to open the dam to be prepared for the next rain.

Official order from the useless stuff of the government: No.

Later the Wang River met the Ping River and ....

Murphy's Law: (my conclusion) Promotion is completed when the incapacity is visible.

The New Thai government.

But last year the mismanagement was topped. Two months before the big rains in the North, the Bhumipon Dam was full to 98%. All technical staff (one in my family) wanted to open the dam to be prepared for the next rain.

Murphy's Law: (my conclusion) Promotion is completed when the incapacity is visible.

The New Thai government.

This order from the government not to open the dam for - how long was it to be kept closed, dates if you can, which presumably the techie in your family knew?

The New Thai government.

Don't lay blame on the current reigning government.

The problems have existed for some time, now.

Some are just waking up to this. Yet, most are still asleep.

Political bickering and particular comparative political identies get us nowhere....

The New Thai government.

This order from the government not to open the dam for - how long was it to be kept closed, dates if you can, which presumably the techie in your family knew?

This was stated, rehashed and intentional obscured, ad naseum last fall, there is no need to force yet another rehash here, the agri minister admited he gave said order. End of rehash of this sorrdid story now.

The New Thai government.

Political bickering and particular comparative political identies get us nowhere....

But the severity of this flood is directly connected to this current goverments decision chains. You can't escape that sad reality.

The New Thai government.

But the severity of this flood is directly connected to this current goverments decision chains. You can't escape that sad reality.

Not buying it.

The [cause and effect] reflective infrastructures are social akin to a forced upon modern lifestyle.

Comes back to bite.

Consider the severly equal flooding of BKK Metro and the broader central plains region throughout the century.

I am confused they want to get the water into the sea as fast as possible. To accomplish this they are going to build dykes. Seems kind of counter productive to me.

I noticed not a word about clearing out the existing channels and keeping them clear or common sense when it comes to letting water out of a dam in the face of a rainy season.

This plan sounds as good as the 100 mile tunnel ten miles down.

The New Thai government.

High level of tolerance is a Buddhist Teaching.

To say what is what too.

The New Thai government.

Good request.

12 August we had a family meeting on a floating house in the Bhumipon Lake (natural reserve) above the Dam, organised by

my brother in law. The lake was full, the floating house had to stay near the banks. The responsible officer told us, now they have to open the Dam.

My brother in law asked later the engineer in our family for information about the opening of the Dam.

Answer: emergency

For the special timing I have to investigate more. Chinese New Year - I will see them all.

Dam levels to be kept low to reduce flood threat

TEACHAWAT SUKRAK

THE NATION

30174220-01_big.jpg

Strategic water management panel unveils short-term measures; run-off areas to be identified

Flood prevention will be made a priority in the management of the country's dams, all of which will be required to keep their water levels at no more than half of capacity, the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM) announced yesterday.

"Water for agricultural purposes will be next in order of importance," SCWRM member Pitipong Puengboon na Ayutthaya said at a news conference attended by all key members of this national-level committee.

The SCWRM was set up after the flood crisis wreaked havoc across dozens of provinces, including Bangkok, late last year. Hundreds of people died of flood-related causes and the country's manufacturing sector was partially crippled when seven industrial estates were flooded.

After the crisis hit, many people blamed poor handling of the water in dams for worsening the flood problems.

The severity of the 2011 floods has highlighted the need for authorities to develop a good plan and prevent such a crisis from recurring.

Pitipong yesterday unveiled the key provisions of the short-term plan developed by the SCWRM.

"We will focus on how to efficiently manage water in dams, water in floodplains, and water from heavy downpours," he said. The Royal Irrigation Department, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and the Meteorological Department will hold daily meetings to discuss the water situation and to develop efficient drainage plans.

Pitipong said the Royal Irrigation Department and the Agriculture Ministry would also be asked to identify areas that would have to take in run-off if water levels became too large.

"We are going to provide compensation for people affected by the decision to push water into the designated flood areas," he said. "And we will try to ensure that flood-water levels in their areas won't be more than 1 metre deep."

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who chairs the SCWRM, said her government would provide Bt60 billion to implement the flood-area plan and for related remedial actions for affected people. However, she did not specify how the compensation would be paid or for how many years this budget was expected to last.

She said only that for the purpose of reducing damages from flooding this year, her government had already approved Bt18.11 billion.

"The Cabinet has already approved the water-management master plan. It entails two implementation plans, one for urgent measures and the other for long-term measures," Yingluck said.

Pitipong said engineering work for the short-term plan would cost about Bt17 billion. He said this included systems for total flood prevention in key economic and residential areas, the prevention of overflows, the upgrading of sluice gates, and improved drainage capacity in Bangkok.

"We also plan to tackle sandbars at the mouth of the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers under a Bt277-million budget to facilitate rapid water flow," he said.

He mentioned many other flood-prevention projects, which he said would be subject to review by relevant authorities.

"After the SCWRM and the National Economic and Social Development Board approve them, they will be forwarded to relevant authorities for review," he said. The agencies would try to complete key work by April, Pitipong said.

Yingluck said that in the long run, about Bt177 billion would be spent on developing an efficient water-infrastructure network for the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-21

Interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.c...emc=globasasa26

Before Thailand’s great flood of 2011, companies like Panasonic, JVC and Hitachi produced electronics and computer components that were exported around the world. Now of the 227 factories operating in the zone, only 15 percent have restarted production, according to Nipit Arunvongse Na Ayudhya, the managing director of the company that manages the Nava Nakorn industrial zone, one of the largest in Thailand and located just north of Bangkok.

Ms. Yingluck’s government, which came to power last August just as the flooding was intensifying, has been widely criticized for disseminating inconsistent and inaccurate reports during the floods.

“The information that we obtained from the government was useless,” Mr. Nipit said. “It was all misinformation.”

I am confused they want to get the water into the sea as fast as possible. To accomplish this they are going to build dykes. Seems kind of counter productive to me.

I noticed not a word about clearing out the existing channels and keeping them clear or common sense when it comes to letting water out of a dam in the face of a rainy season.

That's because the the plan is not to have a plan.

Interesting article:

Before Thailand’s great flood of 2011, companies like Panasonic, JVC and Hitachi produced electronics and computer components that were exported around the world. Now of the 227 factories operating in the zone, only 15 percent have restarted production, according to Nipit Arunvongse Na Ayudhya, the managing director of the company that manages the Nava Nakorn industrial zone, one of the largest in Thailand and located just north of Bangkok.

Ms. Yingluck’s government, which came to power last August just as the flooding was intensifying, has been widely criticized for disseminating inconsistent and inaccurate reports during the floods.

“The information that we obtained from the government was useless,” Mr. Nipit said. “It was all misinformation.”

Wait and see. Everybody is pulling out of here. Destination Burma. Cheaper workforce. Easier exploitation of the infrastructure. English more widely spoken. And best of all, Burmese reorienting themselves to the West, while Thailand plays footsies with the Chinese and Hezbollah.

• Like 1

I've always considered a network of huge pumping "pipelines" as feeder lines to other [non-affected] regions throughout Thailand towards water replenishment for the upcoming dryer season, as most severe flooding will manifest by September, followed by a quick turn to winter/dry season. Rather a goofy idea....but it beats anything they've attempt forever and a day.

Think of all this annual flood water that sits stagnet throughout the basin. Those same 6-7 provinces that make up the great natural flood basin. Sure, flooding appear everywhere, every year. From Chiang Mai to Hat yai and Korat to Phetchaburi. Yet, rarely last a couple weeks at most - not 3-4 months of standing water a metre deep. Topography plays a key aspect as to who suffers and who doesn't. Natural drainage is suppressed throughout the traditional flood ravaged regions, isn't it? So what do we do.....? We continue to infused and build up the infrastructure that is most detrimental.

So...if the region won't change - physically remove the damaging element [flood waters] to areas that might benefit. Just think of it....Isaan areas could easily take on a winter/second rice harvest.

As long as they spend billions on prevention and clean-up, why not direct such funding towards more pragmatic cures instead of politically pointing fingers as to whom is to blame.

<deleted>! The region has incurred seasonal flooding since the earliest human memory.....yet, the earliest man didn't find it necessary to enclose natural spill overs as broad flood plains will be.

Edited by zzaa09

There was nothing wrong with the tunnel at all.

It has already been done in similar conditions and to completely fit it to Thailand, it was designed by some of the world's leading experts in this technology. It was such a viable plan that, after reviewing it in depth (pun intended), the World Bank's engineers rated the Thai tunnel plan as excellent. They then put their money where their mouth is and offered USD 1 + billion IFC financing.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but the tunnel is the way to go. However, the Thai government has decided they should do the flood protection project themselves, although they are "borrowing" the electricity generating idea. One thing is for sure. The World Bank financed proposal would have been completely transparent. You can draw your own conclusions on this.

A must read! In The Nation, dated January 21, 2012 in the opinion section, titled 'Mega Projects won't undo flooding', Mr. Joseph E Petrillo, weighs in on this subject in an admirably lucid article. Mr. Petrillo is an outstanding authority on flood control and coastal and wetlands conservancy, with many years of experience.

Of special note, in this article, Mr. Petrillo gives a gracious nod to His Majesty the King. Two experts in close agreement well worth the read.

Edited by The Snark

A must read! In The Nation, dated January 21, 2012 in the opinion section, titled 'Mega Projects won't undo flooding', Mr. Joseph E Petrillo, weighs in on this subject in an admirably lucid article. Mr. Petrillo is an outstanding authority on flood control and coastal and wetlands conservancy, with many years of experience.

Of special note, in this article, Mr. Petrillo gives a gracious nod to His Majesty the King. Two experts in close agreement well worth the read.

Very good indeed:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Mega-projects-wont-prevent-flooding-30174197.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Nationmultimediacom-Opinion+%28NationMultimedia.com+-+Opinion%29

I've always considered a network of huge pumping "pipelines" as feeder lines to other [non-affected] regions throughout Thailand towards water replenishment for the upcoming dryer season, as most severe flooding will manifest by September, followed by a quick turn to winter/dry season. Rather a goofy idea....but it beats anything they've attempt forever and a day.

Think of all this annual flood water that sits stagnet throughout the basin. Those same 6-7 provinces that make up the great natural flood basin. Sure, flooding appear everywhere, every year. From Chiang Mai to Hat yai and Korat to Phetchaburi. Yet, rarely last a couple weeks at most - not 3-4 months of standing water a metre deep. Topography plays a key aspect as to who suffers and who doesn't. Natural drainage is suppressed throughout the traditional flood ravaged regions, isn't it? So what do we do.....? We continue to infused and build up the infrastructure that is most detrimental.

So...if the region won't change - physically remove the damaging element [flood waters] to areas that might benefit. Just think of it....Isaan areas could easily take on a winter/second rice harvest.

As long as they spend billions on prevention and clean-up, why not direct such funding towards more pragmatic cures instead of politically pointing fingers as to whom is to blame.

<deleted>! The region has incurred seasonal flooding since the earliest human memory.....yet, the earliest man didn't find it necessary to enclose natural spill overs as broad flood plains will be.

Too complicated you need to "think Thai" inline with the boat propellors solution they could just dig a big hole and put the water in there? See simplicity itself even makes the props look complicated.

Dont laugh it will be in the BKK Post tomorrow, of course I wont be credited for it, what do I know?

Interesting article:

Presumably Mr. Nipit Na Ayudhya was aware of the risk assessment of the flood defences of the Industrial Park his company manages, it being built in a flood prone area and all that entails?