Double Entry Tourist Visa Question

Hi there,

At a consulate in Brisbane on the 7th december I paid for a multiple entry tourist visa but I do not understand how to use this visa basically....

The consulate stamped it with the following dates:

- It says the visa is good for THREE journeys and must be used by the 6th june. I flew into bkk on the 17th december.

- Immigration at the airport stamped my passport with the 17th dec and Im admitted to until signed: 14th February.

Thus, the end of the first 60 days is on the 14th February.

Questions:

- Do I do a border run on the 14th feb to extend for another 60 days OR

- another traveller I met said I could maybe go to an immigration office on the 14th Feb and pay to get a 30 day extension.

Then at the end of the 30 days do a border run to get the second 60 day stamp.

Could someone please explain if Im able to get a 30 day extension and then do the border run or do I have to do a border run on the 14th feb?

many thanks

You can definitely extend it for one month at immigration for 1,900b and then when your month is up do a border run to activate the next 60 days, which you can again extend at immigration for another 30 days (1,900b).

The benefit of getting an extension rather than going to the border is that your visa will effectively last 6 months at a cost for the extensions. Rather than 4 months.

Good luck, and a word of advice if you do extend for 30 days, you still have to do the border run by the date on your visa and not the date your extension is until, if that date is before your extension date. I have done this and lost a whole visa!

As Ratcliffe says, it is of great importance to pay attention to the dates if you want to make the best of your triple-entry tourist visa. In your case, I see the chronology as follows:

07 DEC 2011: issue date of tourist visa valid for three entries into Thailand; must be used before 06 JUN 2012

17 DEC 2011: your arrival in Thailand, with permission to stay until 14 FEB 2012

Not later than 14 FEB 2012, apply for a 30-day extension of stay at your local immigration office, using form TM.7, and your permission to stay will be extended until 15 MAR 2012. Best not to wait until the last day; you lose nothing by applying early, as the 30 days will be added to the end of your permission to stay.

Not later than 15 MAR 2012, do a border run to activate your second entry into Thailand. You receive again permission to stay for 60 days, which you can again extend as above.

Not later than 05 JUN 2012, ie at the latest one day before the "must be used before" date shown on the visa, do another border run to activate your third and last entry into Thailand with this visa. You receive again permission to stay for 60 days, which you can again extend as above.

Useful reading: What does the visa expiration date mean?

• Like 1

As Ratcliffe says, it is of great importance to pay attention to the dates if you want to make the best of your triple-entry tourist visa. In your case, I see the chronology as follows:

07 DEC 2011: issue date of tourist visa valid for three entries into Thailand; must be used before 06 JUN 2012

17 DEC 2011: your arrival in Thailand, with permission to stay until 14 FEB 2012

Not later than 14 FEB 2012, apply for a 30-day extension of stay at your local immigration office, using form TM.7, and your permission to stay will be extended until 15 MAR 2012. Best not to wait until the last day; you lose nothing by applying early, as the 30 days will be added to the end of your permission to stay.

Not later than 15 MAR 2012, do a border run to activate your second entry into Thailand. You receive again permission to stay for 60 days, which you can again extend as above.

Not later than 05 JUN 2012, ie at the latest one day before the "must be used before" date shown on the visa, do another border run to activate your third and last entry into Thailand with this visa. You receive again permission to stay for 60 days, which you can again extend as above.

Useful reading: What does the visa expiration date mean?

OP states only double entry. If the OP is only going to stay for 4 months then it would be cheaper to do a visa run to get 60 days than an extension of 30 followed by a visa run which will get 60 days of which the OP may only use 30.

hi,

you can do either upto you,

it depends how long you want to stay in thailand and how much you want to spend and your location for getting to border runs.

each of the 3 entries can be extended for 1900 baht each.

your maximum stay can potentially be 270 days from when your visa was issued.

it does get complicated with the different dates and options but first step is to make a plan ,

send some info. and can advise you ,

regards,

chris

OP states only double entry. If the OP is only going to stay for 4 months then it would be cheaper to do a visa run to get 60 days than an extension of 30 followed by a visa run which will get 60 days of which the OP may only use 30.

For a moment I thought I needed new glasses. From the OP:

- It says the visa is good for THREE journeys and must be used by the 6th june.

For a moment I thought I needed new glasses. From the OP:

- It says the visa is good for THREE journeys and must be used by the 6th june.

Granted. Title of thread is 'Double Entry Tourist Visa Question'. I have met many people over the last 12 years or so who have got a double entry visa and think that they still have them both when they enter the kingdom.

Thanks so much for the advice from everyone. I definitely now understand my visa much better.

The timeline that Maestro wrote above was most useful to me. He said ''Best not to wait until the last day; you lose nothing by applying early, as the 30 days will be added to the end of your permission to stay.''

Does this mean that I can go to the phuket immigration office tomorrow (22nd jan) even though its weeks before the 14th feb- and will they still stamp it the 15th March??

Also, if Im able to find a job in the next few months can I revert to the Non imm B visa and then work visa etc

Many thanks

hi,

i think they maybe closed on sunday ? also could be busy monday morning ?

you'll need 2 photos and some photo copies of passport, they will probably be able to supply those there at an extra small cost.

and yes you should be able to do the extensions well before the actual date they start.