Pai

enigma6164

Hi everybody

Not sure if this is the right forum for Pai, but can anybody give me some information about things to do in Pai. Of course there are some travel companies offering suggestions, but I prefer to get from the people that have experienced themselves as a tourist, not as a business.

I am aware that this is more of a relaxing trip, but I don't want to miss something special.

Thanks

enigma

There is the 100Pipers/ Warm Up Club Jive Garden concert thing there tomorrow:

https://www.facebook.com/100PIPERSthailand

And of course the Pai Reggae Festival next weekend:

http://www.paifestival.com/

The Chinese Village is a cool place to visit in the day time and have lunch. And the Pai Hot Springs are nice to visit on a cold chilly morning.

For nightlife, I like Bebop bar for early evening and once they close, heading across the bridge to Bamboo Bar and Dont Cry bar.

-Mestizo

A lot of people, bikers especially, use Pai as a stop on a road trip. It is more about the remote roads and mountains of the region.

There really isn’t anything wrong with looking at what travel companies are promoting as that is pretty much what is on offer. There are no secret or undiscovered places that only locals know about.

I have been there twice this season but really don’t have any tourist tips, sorry. Just go with the flow and see what happens. You will most likely stumble upon some of the following scenes.

Pai%252520%252520016.jpg

Pai%252520%252520021.jpg

Pai%252520Trip%252520%252520001.jpg

Pai%252520Trip%252520%252520003.jpg

• Like 1

There are no secret or undiscovered places that only locals know about

Is that so?

Nice pics!

I understand that my little quip is debatable. It is just my take on the idea that in this modern era nothing of interest stays undiscovered for long. With the internet, information is just dispersed so much more rapidly than in the past.

I’m a dinosaur who doesn’t use GPS and even did my most recent motorcycle trip from Chiang Rai to Pai, Mae Hong Son, Khun Yuem, Hot, Chiang Mai and home without a map. I like leaving some things to chance as it adds to the adventure.

There are more pics on my blog or Google+.

Pai%252520%252520004.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

about 3.5 hours from arcade to pai. arcade bus cost only 250 baht for mini van. pai road is pretty straight forward, no need for gps but beware of pot holes, there are ALOT on some pathway, bike rental starts from 100 baht for honda click, do get one to zip around, definitely worth it.

i suggest staying a guesthouse away from the town imo, real beautiful. the night market in town is nice but it gets repetitive after that. waterfall is not so impressive however.

the really downside is the journey up to pai. bends and mini van drivers doesnt go along very well, balls are never back the same size after a trip there

Edited by barefoot1988

On my last day in Chiang Mai I saw some signs for buses to Pai for like 400 bhat. How long does it take to get there and it is the sort of place you can spend 2 days in or do you need to stay longer?

I'm pretty sure that you can do there comfortably for around 200 baht or less. Shop around.

All I can say is, it's a shame they had that movie there.

OP, Wikitravel is your friend:

See

The town itself has no special sights; most people come simply for the relaxed atmosphere. Nearby attractions include hot springs and waterfalls, villages and a hilltop temple.

• Chinese village (Santichon). Village settled by Yunnanese hill-tribes who crossed the border in the middle of the 20th century to escape Communist rule. Shops selling different Chinese teas with varying health properties, and other interesting oddities include a human-powered Ferris wheel. Well worth a look, even as a brief stop on the way to Mo Paeng waterfall

• Pai Canyon (Kong Lan), (signposted from the Chiang Mai road; approx 6km from Pai). Somewhat optimistically described as Pai's answer to the Grand Canyon, it could more accurately be described as a narrow red ridges with steep-sides valleys either side filled with pine and dipterocarp forests. The steep 50m drop either side and stunning views over the surrounding countryside are impressive, but you'll need to be careful here - the path is extremely narrow in some places and requires a scramble in others. A set of steps up to a viewing platform provides the safest way to admire the scenery and the canyon makes the perfect spot for a sunset

• WWII Memorial Bridge, (on the road to Chiang Mai, approx 8km from Pai). The original bridge here was built by the occupying Japanese. The current steel truss bridge which sits alongside the present main road was assembled in its current position rather more recently, but as with Pai's "canyon", the bridge invites very loose comparisons with the infamous Bridge over the River Kwai.

Waterfalls

• Mae Yen - 7 kilometers out of town with no bikes allowed for the last 6km of that. Head East over the bridge heading out of Pai and follow the signs.

• Mo Paeng, (west of Chiang Mai past Santichon). A little more accessible than most of Pai's waterfalls, this multi-tiered waterfall flows through a verdant green valley and is popular for its pools to swim in. The upper section of this waterfall is a natural water slide during the dry season. The rocks are smooth, just find a small section and slide on down like the locals do!

• Pam Bok - on the road to Chiang Mai before Pai Canyon. Nice secluded waterfall with high cliffs surrounding it, making this a very cool place to escape the heat. Go for a relaxing bathe in the shade during the dry season.

Events

Poi Sang Long is a famous Buddhist children ordaining festival, especially in Mae Hong Son. Thai Yai cultural dance show can be seen at the temple fair, in the night.

Do

Rent a bicycle or motorbike and riding around the countryside seems to be the most popular activity - you can easily create an itinerary to include visits to the nearby waterfalls and hill-tribe villages. Potential day trips include the Tham Lod bat cave 55km away in Pangmapha, best visited when the bats emerge just before sunset.

Pai is also a major starting point for organized trekking tours which are offered by every guesthouse and travel agent.

Go off road through the mountains of Pai on a off-road motorbike tour. Up here it gives you better off road possibilities and against better prices than in Chiang Mai. Ask your guesthouse where to book.

• Pai Zip Line Adventure,Taking glamorous adventure in an extensive forest and fog tri-season. The exiting flight with the 14 station canopy 2-2,5 hours is ending at the beautiful Pam Bok waterfall 8 km out of Pai where you can cool down. 850 THB.

• Elephant Trek. For several years now, travellers have enjoyed riding an elephant and concluding the trip with a romp in the Pai River. For this 'adventure', take as little as possible - you'll be enjoyably wet as the elephant is encouraged to shower you. Some operators - and there are several - are willing to take photos of you while you enjoy the elephant antics in the river.

• Tha Pai hot springs, (signposted from the Chiang Mai road). Bathing here is supposed to have therapeutic properties but you'll want to save it for a cool day. Sulphuric water bubbles out of these hot springs at temperatures of up to 80 degrees celsius and simple baths have been created where the springs meet a stream which cools temperatures to bearable levels. A short marked forest trail takes you through the compact national park more noticeable for its smells than its sights. 200THB.

• Tubing. Floating down river on an inflated rubber tube has long been a favourite pasttime of South East Asian backpackers, and the gentle current of the Pai river and attractive scenery make this a good spot to try. Unlike the more famous Vang Vieng in Laos, the Pai river isn't lined with raucous bars playing loud music, which some may consider more a blessing than a curse.

• Whitewater Rafting. Some of Thailand's most spectacular rapids are found between Pai and Mae Hong Song, and a few operators offer both one and two day rafting trips. One and two day trips are possible.

• Like 1

The only thing i like about Pai is a viewpoint close to the chinese tourist trap town. Instead of going into the chinese trap, veer right and go up the road a short distance.

The instant you pass the last house turn into the restaurant on your right that says 'best view.......'

This place really does have the best view over the entire city and you can see the entire valley, the waitress who's family owns the place is also like a talking encyclopedia, she knows everything...just ask.

Best place for lunch or a beer.

Make sure you go into town and find a place to stay at the end of walking street. If you stay in one of the places before you get to town, you may die from boredom.

Nowadays paying 150 baht for a bamboo hut, freezing at night and having to walk across the grounds to the bathroom which has no hot water doesn't turn me on. I've never seen what the fascination with Pai is..

Edited by KRS1

Doi Mae Salong is indeed a nice drive but too close to home to consider spending the night for me. I thought the drive to Pai and all points beyond was the whole point. I concur, if you don’t enjoy the drive and the scenery there is little point in going. The same can be said of Nan and most other places of great natural beauty in Northern Thailand, I guess.

Doi Mae Salong

DSC05957_2.jpg

DSC05979_2.jpg

• Like 1

Big Nightlife? There's like a grand total of 4-5 bars. Not anything like Pattaya, there's no bargirl zoo there.

There's the walking street which is about 1/20 the size of the one in Chiang Mai.

There is however one restaurant that has the most awesome burger.

Pai = blaah

Great ride to Pai if you're a biker, but bit of a <deleted> in a wagon or on da bus (I'd imagine). What's the time to Mae Salong? Have been past there couple times but never in one hit from CM.

Exactly.

Getting to Pai is the only reason to go to Pai.

We "bike" up at least once a year (on bicycles), and return the next day. The only downside to the trip is spending the night in Pai.

Big Nightlife? There's like a grand total of 4-5 bars. Not anything like Pattaya, there's no bargirl zoo there.

Note the colon, and the bit after it; I wrote: In that sense it's comparable to Pattaya: Not really "Thai" but an enjoyable change nonetheless.

I'm not saying it's anything at all like Pattaya, thank God. I'm saying that both places, under influence of tourism from other places, have developed a very different vibe from other towns of a similar size in their respective regions. I personally like that, and I can appreciate both places. (It would also be my worst nightmare to actually have to live in either place, but as a diversion I appreciate it.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is however one restaurant that has the most awesome burger.

Pai = blaah

If it is the one that I am thinking of, I was told recently that it has closed.

if you walk down walking street with 7-11 on your left, turn left at either the 1st or 2nd intersection... and it was 15-25 meters on the right, directly across from another restaurant that has live music. Edited by KRS1

Big Nightlife? There's like a grand total of 4-5 bars.

Oh come on now. Grand total of 4-5 bars? Even the previously provided Wikipedia link lists 7 primary bars. Between the bus station road and the road that run perpendicular to it, nearest the river, there's approx 10-20 little bars and places to drink. Plus Beebop Bar, Ting Tong Bar, Reggae Bar, etc on the south side of town. Plust the nice couple bars across the bridge. *WAY* more than a *Grand total of 4-5 bars*!

There is some really great, laid-back, extremely enjoyable night life to be had in Pai!

-Mestizo

Big Nightlife? There's like a grand total of 4-5 bars.

Oh come on now. Grand total of 4-5 bars? Even the previously provided Wikipedia link lists 7 primary bars. Between the bus station road and the road that run perpendicular to it, nearest the river, there's approx 10-20 little bars and places to drink. Plus Beebop Bar, Ting Tong Bar, Reggae Bar, etc on the south side of town. Plust the nice couple bars across the bridge. *WAY* more than a *Grand total of 4-5 bars*!

There is some really great, laid-back, extremely enjoyable night life to be had in Pai!

-Mestizo

Never made it to the other side of town, thought i might die of boredom from the walk before making it there.

That being said, its highly unlikely a new comer to Pai would find those bars unless they were there for a long time.

Everything closes at 12-1am anyway, and on walking street there are only 4-5 bars where the main tourist area is.

Never made it to the other side of town, thought i might die of boredom from the walk before making it there.

That being said, its highly unlikely a new comer to Pai would find those bars unless they were there for a long time.

Everything closes at 12-1am anyway, and on walking street there are only 4-5 bars where the main tourist area is.

The bus station road and the road next to the river are part of the main tourist area. Not sure how you could never see them.

I've only been to Pai twice, so I am still a newcomer. I had no problem at all finding those bars..

The bars right across the bridge don't close at 1am. On the contrary, thats about when they get going. They stay open until early morning. Not sure exactly what time, because I both times I've thrown in the towel around 4 or 5 am.

-Mestizo

Eh, thats unfortunate. Seems like you've missed out on some really fun night life.

Lucky for me, I am a glass half full person that will manage to have fun and enjoy myself in most situations. I can't wait to party in Pai again and am currently considering going next weekend for the 3 day reggae festival. Should be a blast!

-Mestizo