Microchipping And Tattoo Identification For Dogs.

Cuban

Our most recent addition to the family is a beautiful Golden Retriever pup. wub.png

He came to us as a mis-placed gift to the head of a local Wat, the monk accepted the gift from a well meaning person seeking to make merit (the person in question lives in a different part of the country), the monk is a regular visitor at our house and knew that we would both take the dog in, take good care of him and he would be close so the monk could see him every day - the monk does have a soft spot for him.

So, three months have passed since สิงโต (Lion) joined us, we think he is about 6 months old now, and we are getting many comments about how beautiful he is. Which has rung so many alarm bells in my head about potential dog-napping.

I've 'discussed' issues about doggie security with my darling wife who does not consider that anyone would steal a dog. My cynical experience suggests that if it's not nailed down and worth more that ½ a Satang there is a fair chance that it might get 'lost'.

post-4641-1156694005.gif

Goldens are notoriously friendly and our Little Lion is no exception, a guard dog he is not. Luckily our other dog is a big black Rottie cross who does look the part and is responsive to anyone that wanders too close, the house is on a quiet soi in a rural village. So the scenario I fear is a planned attack by someone who knows of the dog (the pick-up the that drives around with plastic baskets) that uses poisoned bait to take out our guard dog then non-poisoned bait to entice Lion away for sale to puppy farm breeding etc.

Sorry for the long build up.

Clearly microchipping and tattooing is one solution (?).

Can anyone offer their thoughts and experiences please, costs etc. (We would probably travel to Khon Kaen University to get this done)

The other thought I have is getting Lion castrated and making a notice in Thai to that effect on the dog house (their dog house is a small shed - not an insignificant structure), I have no intention to breed from him although he is very beautiful (he has no TKC papers so there would be no sire fees) but that is not the point, our rottie cross in intact (I'm happy to keep him that way) and with the normal unspayed lady dogs in the village having two intact males together is not wise IMHO.

Surprisingly in these situations it is normally the man that seeks to keep their dog's intact, my wife has expressed that Lion keep his little eggs (both descended smile.png ) even though she has no desire to breed puppies or enter him into the show-ring either.

I can only see the up side in castration as a solution (as mentioned by some previous GFs) zero risk of testicular cancer, no testosterone fuelled fights over the local ladies and hopefully less risk of theft.

I have read about canine iris scans being developed in America - I will assume this is a long way from Thailand at the moment.

So please offer any thoughts, experiences or ideas for this situation - am I worrying unduly ermm.gif

realy if he is stolen than all the tatooing and microchipping and iris id will be to no avail; if thailand is anything like israel (and it is worse when it comes to animals/vets/following the law) here, most vets dont bother to check id of dogs when someone brings one in (oh we found him wondering around for a few weeks, poor thing.... or: a friend of a friend had to go overseas/joined the army/wife doesnt want the dog and we lost the letter giving us ownership...)... i would think thailand is worse.

keep the dog locked up when u arent around the area; a good fence; dont brag about him; not much else.. hard to teach a golden not to eat food from strangers, etc.

here dogs get stolen from inside closed gates , picked up by the dog pound (easier to pick up a collared friendly dog then to get the feral pariah dogs hanging in packs), 'rescued' by others, especially if they are pure breds.

i have no constructive ideas, sorry..

bina

i would agree with bina never mind what y do is not going to put anyone off if they want to steel your dog,you already has his protector,we also have a good looking dog who we think is 60% human and we love him to bits,teach your dog to sleep indoors so y can also sleep at night not worrying about him,i have posted on the forum what we had to do to keep ours safe,also y can read up on our dog being neutered and the advice adambanks gave us good luck and hope your dog gives y the love and affection our do.

Our dogs (greyhounds) were tattoed and micro-chipped, sleep (and basically live) indoors apart from when they were/are out on their daily walks with us. Both were neutered before we got them (re-homed ex-racers usually are). Our oldest one died of old age recently at 11yrs. We have a large fenced garden and the gate is kept closed. Though very much admired - I feel it is the fact that they were neutered and live indoors which would be the most crucial element in whether or not someone would desire, or could, make off with them. We have always neutered our dogs - there are more than enough unwanted ones around- and they are much more likely to be stay- at -homers and have better 'pet' temperaments.

Micro-chipping and tattooing - as other posters have already said, have value- but only if you can find your dog again.

Fair points all round.

It gets to the point one can not have nice things because they will be coveted by someone who will either steal or seek to deprive you of it for profit or the satisfaction that their action has on you.

Thailand: nice country - shame about the natives.

As for training not to accept food from others - impossible - I say that as first I would have to train my Thai family - and that would be like training a pig to sing....

I have had enough problems explaining about walking a dog on a lead rather than "letting it go free" and grooming.

Edited by Cuban

Fair points all round.

It gets to the point one can not have nice things because they will be coveted by someone who will either steal or seek to deprive you of it for profit or the satisfaction that their action has on you.

Thailand: nice country - shame about the natives.

As for training not to accept food from others - impossible - I say that as first I would have to train my Thai family - and that would be like training a pig to sing....

I have had enough problems explaining about walking a dog on a lead rather than "letting it go free" and grooming.

Ahhhh, you suffer from dog = garbage bin syndrome too!

DO NOT let your Golden Retriever wander around outside your garden! As another poster said, also keep him indoors at night.

A 'Beware of the Dog' sign in Thai would probably be a good idea too. It may be funny, but most will take it seriously.

One of my ex-soi dogs was taken ohmy.png, just 'cos she is incredibly friendly (she looks like a 'typical' soi dog).... Luckily, she came back a week later looking no worse for the experience.

I can only assume that 1) whoever took her got fed up once they realised she eats like a horse or 2) she managed to escape and immediately came running back home!