Analog Oil Pressure And Temp Gauges

hi folks...I'm looking to find the old fashioned cluster of the above gauges that can bolt onto a dashboard and instructions for their calibration...I've got an old Nissan Urvan and none of the original installed dashboard instrumentation works due to a lot of messing about with wiring harnesses...but it runs very strongly when folks pay attention to coolant and engine lubricant...too many blown head gaskets and etc...and I like it as I sit in the back with a drink and the kids love their old van; my suggestion that we buy a new pick up was met with silence...a great excuse not to spend the odd thb1m on new transportation...

maybe too much to expect car assessory suppliers in Thailand to supply but if anyone has a suggestion on the internet then suggestions are welcome...

a grim tutsi: 'a blown head gasket usually indicates overheating and you presently have no indication thereof from the non-existent instrumentation...'

farmer brother in law: 'but it was running real good, honest...'

yeah but the unit has to come with calibration details...ain't much good without them...if there is a shop in BKK I could pass by when in town...

thanks for the advice thus far...as I post, my ex-BMTA 12 seater (with a short block rebuild by a BiL and his mechanic friend) sits placidly outside my door with the fantastically ornate roof rack and ladder designed and fabricated by my capable wife...she (the van and the wife) is a beautywub.png

Edited by tutsiwarrior

For the clueless operator ...

You can install a Tee fitting in the block, for both oil and water. Guage on one side of tee, warning light sender on the other. Tell your driver if the light comes on, to shut down the engine.

Various temps / psi ratings available to activate idiot light.

To be 100% foolproof - do not use an idiot light, use a relay to cut power to the coil and the engine will quit automatically !!! For the terminal clueless operator.

Edited by seedy

me dad was a marine in the Pacific in WW2 as an airplane mechanic and deplored the use of 'idiot' lights on new cars...he said: 'idiot lights give ye a false sense of security...'

I had a bunch of old VWs traveling up and down the west coast of the US...they were air cooled with heat transfer to the oil and there was the green idiot light on the VDO gauge that warned against high oil temperature/low pressure...a 36 hp putting along in the slow lane on the highway with dope and cheap wine...we were disgraceful but fulla life...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Back in my racing days, well before digital guages, we rotated all guages in their mounting brackets / cups so at normal operating range all needles pointed to 12 o'clock.

A quick scan of the cluster was all that was needed to ensure all were optimal, and very quick to spot any out of normal range.

Tach needle pointed to 12 o'clock to indicate time to shift.

Edited by seedy

I made an attempt to order a nice cluster (oil, temp and amps) from a website in the US but no dice, they didn't want to business with Thailand...

maybe with Thailand farm equipent? any suggestions? I'm not talkin' high performance over here, just simple gauges...

To be 100% foolproof - do not use an idiot light, use a relay to cut power to the coil and the engine will quit automatically !!! For the terminal clueless operator.

Not good in the fast lane and no power steering eh. biggrin.png

To be 100% foolproof - do not use an idiot light, use a relay to cut power to the coil and the engine will quit automatically !!!  For the terminal clueless operator.

Not to mention no brakes.

yeah but the unit has to come with calibration details...ain't much good without them...if there is a shop in BKK I could pass by when in town...

thanks for the advice thus far...as I post, my ex-BMTA 12 seater (with a short block rebuild by a BiL and his mechanic friend) sits placidly outside my door with the fantastically ornate roof rack and ladder designed and fabricated by my capable wife...she (the van and the wife) is a beautywub.png

Picture please!

(Of the van. ;) )

And as it's a Urvan and diesel unless modified they will still be sailing on to a boilup

Not to mention no brakes.

Coil cutout on a diesel Urvan?(unless engine swapped).

Picture please!

(Of the van. wink.png )

comin' right up; it's dark outside our shophouse now and I wanna display the best aspect...we took out the seat right behind the drivers and can fit a motorbike right in no probs...and the same space becomes a dining area, just pull up to a roadside eatery and dig in...then spread a blanket and the smaller kids can rack out, blissfully asleep...the teenaged nieces are in the back playing with their mobile phones and whispering about 'boys'...then there's tutsi with his vodka with a cooler with ice and mixers as we 'move on down the road...' (a popular blues song refrain...)...don't know what the displacement is but we can manage a steady 120kph on the highway with a margin for overtaking...

I've never driven it meself, just sat in the back and enjoyed...and the wife looks at me admiringly and sez: 'you clazy...' affectionately...I'm supposed to be the big man in charge but I don't give a shit...the brother-in-laws all have licenses and can drive OK...

Picture please!

(Of the van. wink.png )

comin' right up; it's dark outside our shophouse now and I wanna display the best aspect...we took out the seat right behind the drivers and can fit a motorbike right in no probs...and the same space becomes a dining area, just pull up to a roadside eatery and dig in...then spread a blanket and the smaller kids can rack out, blissfully asleep...the teenaged nieces are in the back playing with their mobile phones and whispering about 'boys'...then there's tutsi with his vodka with a cooler with ice and mixers as we 'move on down the road...' (a popular blues song refrain...)...don't know what the displacement is but we can manage a steady 120kph on the highway with a margin for overtaking...

I've never driven it meself, just sat in the back and enjoyed...and the wife looks at me admiringly and sez: 'you clazy...' affectionately...I'm supposed to be the big man in charge but I don't give a shit...the brother-in-laws all have licenses and can drive OK...

Rock On. drunk.gif

Picture please!

(Of the van. wink.png )

Rock On. drunk.gif

transam...I'm gonna get a Pontiac Transam eagle badge and put it on my van in yer honor...then get John Hammond and 'Move on down the road' on the box, crank up de volume and motor...

then folks will say: 'is that really a transam?' and then I'll say: 'yeah, really; it's the economy/family model...'

but really...does anyone know of a shop in BKK where I can buy the gauges?...ain't havin' no luck on the internet...

'yeah, I'm gonna get me a car....an' den move on down de road...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

crossy, that's an excellent suggestion as with ebay there are easier shipping arrangements...I'll check it out...I was looking at the JC Whitney website that have been doing mail order in the US for yonks years, but no dice for Thailand...

Edited by tutsiwarrior