Are You Kicking Yourself For Going Back?

HardenedSoul

I've read recently that there are more than a few forum contributors who still post here despite having returned to their homelands after living in Thailand for an extended period.

If you're one of them or know someone who made the move, what were the main reasons for jackin' it all in and, if you or they had no choice owing, perhaps, to financial constraints, will you/they move back if conditions permit?

I've been in BKK for four years now and whenever I've entertained the notion of leaving, I just recall

1. My lame-arsed City job,

2. The suit,

3. The congestion charge

4. The smarter but hell-bent-on-marriage women

and I compare it to:

5. Working from a well-appointed apartment that costs a third of what I'd pay back in Notting Hill

6. The casual wear

7. Cheap public transport (I include taxis in that)

8. Happy-go-lucky women (I DO NOT include hookers in that)

and BKK wins out every time . . . without fail.

I would not go back either. Same reasons as you. Thing is those who went have their reasons and love to complain about Thailand to feel good about their choice. Those of us who stay have their reasons too and think those who went back are bonkers.

• Like 1

The only way I would ever consider moving back is if I was unable to take care of my self and I was to big of a problem for my wife and needed institutionalizing.

Even at that I just might decide to let it all go and not fight the inevitable.

Being middle aged (70) I wont have to face that for a long time yet.

• Like 1

The only way I would ever consider moving back is if I was unable to take care of my self and I was to big of a problem for my wife and needed institutionalizing.

Blimey that's cheered me up somewhat,I thought middle age was always around 45wai.gif

Going back to OZ in Feb. for 3 months. Not my idea, the wife wants the kids to pick up their English. Went back last Xmas for 3 months, lasted 6 weeks. Too expensive and boring as hell, as all you know are working 6 days a week and happy they have a job. Rather stay in my jungle, drinking piss and playing with the kids. Now I will have to fine a job of some sorts, just to keep food on the table..Lived in the UK, OZ , Canada and NZ. All life was about what you did and how much you had. No time to just live. Jim

• Like 2

There were several reasons that I decided to abandon the UK and the number of reasons for leaving have multiplied considerably over the past 11 years. Wild horses wouldn't drag me back. Transferring myself to another country in the SE Asia region is the only option I would consider if LOS becomes unbearable or dangerous.

Government figures show that over one third of UK pensioners now live abroad. My guess is that those who stay cannot afford to move or are excessively family orientated.

• Like 1

Blimey that's cheered me up somewhat,I thought middle age was always around 45wai.gif

I always thought that middle age starts at 105. giggle.gif

Well, I am back here in Aus after living in Thailand for nearly a decade, learning the lingo, getting married,having a son and all the other stuff. The only reason I am here is to finish off a degree. I brought my Thai wife and son here and the original idea was, come here, study, see if we like it and if we do stay, if we dont head straight back as soon as I am finshed........

I have been here nearly 2 years now and can tell you that the plan is now firmly in the 'go back as soon as I have finished' category. I could finish off my degree this year if I push myself a bit. I think I am going to do just that. Australia has its good points but I think living over there has changed me so much that I cant see myself staying here.

Others complain endlessly about all the hassles of living in Thailand but coming back here has really made me appreciate the VERY VERY good things about living there. If you arent thick as pig poo, didnt marry the first bargirl that said you were handsome, learn to speak thai ,dont have a hangover every single day and have a job you like/money in the kitty then the life you can have over there is pretty bloody good as far as i'm concerned.

Over here in Aus its like one large retirement village. Sure the buses run on time but....there is no 'buzz' none of that 'energy' that I felt living over there. People go to work, come home, close their doors, put on the telly and thats it for the night. Everyone lives in their own little middle class bubble, white picket fence, cartpets that match the curtains and reality tv shows about people doing similar things to what they have just done that day. Its a bit wierd really, all a bit too calm and nice....something isnt right.

In short I think about Thailand every day, and I mean every single day! Cant wait to get back there and slurp on some Lad Nah noodles, watch the world go by while sipping on a beerleo, sitting on a plastice blue chair, in a mom and pop restaurant with rickety floorboards......

• Like 2

I find that when ever the slight pang of home sickness creep in, or I begin romanticizing life back in blighty, a quick trip back there is enough to set me straight again. The last time I went back, I landed at about 5.30am, and needed a taxi to slough to pick up a car as none were available there (it was xmas). Walking to the black cabs the first one told me "no meter, 50 quid". In the car hire place, the Polish lady (hot for sure) was useless and took about 2 hours to get the car details ready as I shivered hugging their radiator. I almost came back on the next flight.

Agreed being back 'home' in the UK is difficult, especially after being in Bangkok for a decade but we have our reasons. We want our daughter to have a British accent and believe the schooling is better here.

We are 3 years in now and really have no idea when we'll return permanently. Life was good in Thailand and we miss it...

Wonder what the percentage of Western expat residents [part-time, full-time. whatever] that don't consider their "home country" as home.....??

Surely home is where the heart is ?

I haven't considered the UK to be my home for sometime, it is simply the place of my birth and where family reside.

One cannot predict what will happen in the future but I cannot, at the moment, envisage any reason for wanting to 'go back'.

Wonder what the percentage of Western expat residents [part-time, full-time. whatever] that don't consider their "home country" as home.....??

I haven't considered the UK to be my home for sometime, it is simply the place of my birth and where family reside.

One cannot predict what will happen in the future but I cannot, at the moment, envisage any reason for wanting to 'go back'.

Yet, [if I'm not mistaken] you spend a few months every year travelling to the jolly old land? Why is this...?? Miss the place?

Yet, [if I'm not mistaken] you spend a few months every year travelling to the jolly old land? Why is this...?? Miss the place?

Miss the place ? Most certainly not Jeff.

None of your business, but I would not even make those reducing number of trips were it not for family obligations and residual business interests. 'Homesickness' kicks in after a week and I will no longer tolerate much more than 2 weeks away.

I consider the U.S. home because I can own property and work without a permit, but I much rather live here forever if I can.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Miss the place ? Most certainly not Jeff.

None of your business, but I would not even make those reducing number of trips were it not for family obligations and residual business interests. 'Homesickness' kicks in after a week and I will no longer tolerate much more than 2 weeks away.

wink.pngtongue.pngrolleyes.gif

There are probably quite a few falangs over there that could use the reality check of going home for a while. I needed it and its given me a new outlook on Thailand and its ups and downs. I know a few still over there, running out of options, complaining everyday about this and that and all the while they stay there making no effort to improve their situation. One guy hasnt been home for over a decade and is the grumpiest old (he's not that old but seems it) git I have met looking back. He refuses to learn the language or integrate in any way, could hardly order a cow pat moo without me helping out sometimes. Now he wants to go back home cause he thinks it will be so much better. I wish him the best but his attitude will follow him.

Bottom line is if your a social outcast/misfit/stick in the mud/grumpy falang that can only see the bad things in Thailand then going home will just make you all of the above but, with the added luxury of getting a disability pension based on your psychological problems. You can then complain all you want about how bad Thailand was to your other dribbling mates down the local while the sweet sound of 'legs eleven' bingo wafts past your ears,a woman that looks like Gordon Brown serves you a beer and American Idols on the telly wooh hoo!

Home is any place in the world that makes you happy. Thats all there is to it.

• Like 2

Over here in Aus its like one large retirement village. Sure the buses run on time but....there is no 'buzz' none of that 'energy' that I felt living over there. People go to work, come home, close their doors, put on the telly and thats it for the night. Everyone lives in their own little middle class bubble, white picket fence, cartpets that match the curtains and reality tv shows about people doing similar things to what they have just done that day. Its a bit wierd really, all a bit too calm and nice....something isnt right.

In short I think about Thailand every day, and I mean every single day! Cant wait to get back there and slurp on some Lad Nah noodles, watch the world go by while sipping on a beerleo, sitting on a plastice blue chair, in a mom and pop restaurant with rickety floorboards......

Wow good reply. I agree and totally understand what you're saying. I think it really depends on where you come from.

60 is the new 40!

Bottom line is if your a social outcast/misfit/stick in the mud/grumpy falang that can only see the bad things in Thailand then going home will just make you all of the above but, with the added luxury of getting a disability pension based on your psychological problems. Home is any place in the world that makes you happy. Thats all there is to it.

All that common sense and a John Lennon avatar too! thumbsup.gif

I'm going back in 2 months to the UK after 20 years living here - it most certainly isn't home now and I'd say Thailand became home after about 5 years living here. I'm actually feeling like I'm visiting a foreign country.

• Like 1

• always find them a strange creature those that say they could never go back to where they come from...or the fact that they'd only just arrived...or that they'd burnt all their bridges back home...or that those at home were helping them out financially to keep away...

or the simple done their dough in thailand...too lazy and scared to admit it, go home and crack on and work for a living coffee1.gif

I did 8 years out in Pattaya and had a fantastic time but felt I was a bit too young to consider that the rest of my life was there, came back and although it was hard at first my career is back on track...in the U.K if you got a decent paying job and don't live in London then things ain't that bad cowboy.gif

• Like 2

I lived in Thailand for 4 and a half years and loved every minute of it. It became my home in my heart -the first place that ever felt like that.

When the financial crisis hit, i had been in a good expat job all that time. I took a strategic view that that my jobcouldnt last forever in Bkk, and that i should be open to overseas offers. In Jan 2009 I was offered a role back in the UK and I took it. I took the view that I would be there four years, and that would mean I could earn enough to retire. I lasted two and a half years, before being offered a new job in HK. It's not Thailand, but it's close enough to mean its a weekend trip. More importantly, I saved enough in that two years or so to bring my retirement forward many many years.

It's all part of the grand plan. Two and a half years in the UK and then two years in HK will mean that I will retire back to Thailand on 21 August 2014, one day before my 50th birthday. I will do so having spent five years out of Thailand after spending a similar time learning to love the place. But the trade off is that I will never work again, and will be where I want to be.

• Like 2