Thailand Ranks 3rd In Asia When It Comes To Eating Rat Meat

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we are talking metric tons that is about 10,000 -12,000 rats per day. Not much really when you look at the number of chickens consumed every day. But....ugh!

I like the way they differentiate the rats... I was in Pattaya and rats were running along the road along with frogs and the Thais were shopping!!! I dont think they mattered if it was sewer or Farm. I think people should be educated of the dangers regardless of "West" or "East" There are animals at the bottom of the food chain that can harm and humans at the top that have brains.

Hmmm ... Why don't you educate us to those dangers. Please post a link to a verifiable medical site that explains why it is more dangerous to eat rats than pigs or goats who are allowed to roam free and eat whatever garbage they can find.

I've seen rats on menus in Vietnam and tried it there. It's no different than guinea pigs which are commonly eaten in the Andes Mtns and considered a delicacy.

Nor is rat much different than raccoon or squirrel, both of which I've seen (and tried) on menus in the US.

btw, rabbits are not rodents.

Eating any mammal is identical whether it's a cow, pig, lamb, dog or rat.

I saw a show on AFC (Asian Food Channel) a couple of months ago. It was the 'Dining with Death' series. They showed the rat traders in Vietnam and showed how they prepared them for sale to the restaurants daily. I'm sorry to say that they were not farmed, field rats but ones collected around the city as in sewer rats.

I've seen Thais eating rats in Bangkok. Only rats that have brought back from Isaan though... as a previous poster quoted no different to rabbit.

Rodentia does not include rabbits; rabbits differ from rodents in having an extra pair of incisors and in other skeletal features. Rabbits, hares, and a few other species make up the Lagomorpha.

Edited by wxyz

In the Netherlands they have high quoted restaurants with rat meat, the name of the rat is musk-rat (delicious)

Actually it is called "muskus rat" in Dutch and the Belgians call it "water konijn" (=water rabbit), as it lives in and around the water (sweet water!). Unfortunately I have never eaten it as it is only served in expensive, high quality restaurants.

As for the Asian rats, I have never tried them, but I try everything at least once and then I decide whether I like it or not (also the Isaan insects). Sad but true, it is near impossible to get a juicy rabbit here. I have this great recepy for Rabbit in Belgian beer, absolutely delicious (aroi maak maak!) licklips.giflicklips.gif (Easier to get the Belgian beer than the rabbit....)

The Chinese also enjoy a tasty rattus rattus boullaibaise on the south coast of that country.....sea rat, shurely not? hic.

Washed down with many rounds of baijiu a.k.a. maotai (maothai..?) - the ubiquitous PRChina white spirit *

* jpeg at: http://upload.wikime...Maotaiphoto.jpg

Edited by Brewsta

No one has mentioned the serious disease got from eating rats, there are hundreds die every year from this urine infection that is fatal to us people, IF the rat is not cooked at high temperature you can get this fatal disease.  Surprised no as mentioned it--ask medical persons about it. People do not report, or speak about how many die.  Afew years ago a friend of mine-super Thai family man, died-and later I learned about the cause of death, he was a caretaker at my local Tambon school.    it is wrong to say most are field rats-they are not a big percentare house and sewer rats, locals do not care as long as it's cooked and on the table

• Like 1

Rat was taisty, dog not so good, but ok, croc was fine, bbq kangaroo was very wild, snake abit bland, sea snake like sloopy wet sponge cake, don't go for many of the bugs other than the smaller grasshoppers, deep fried toad was too hard and hurts your gums at times, the worse was chopped up guts, offel etc with fresh blood poured over it and left in the sun for hours to curdle (thailand)(gave me the trots in minutes-straight through me), horse was somewhat wild like emu. There are a few other small rodent type of field animals which the Thais eat, one is called a "tdoon" though they are hard to come by nowadays. All good I reakon, but I still eat more pizza than any of the above . . .

A sweet little memory from Pattaya.

About 15 or so years ago, I had a couple of bars in Pattaya and it was Loy Kratong. The night shift had all turned up for work, all dressed beautifully in their traditional dresses, hair and make-up all done and all looking lovelier than ever. The day shift girls, not wanting to miss out on a good party, had doubled back to the bar an hour or two after they had knocked off. They were also dressed up to the nines and all done up for the evening. One of the dayshift girls walked in carrying a bag with a tail sticking out of it.

I said "Noi, what is that?"

I'll never forget what she said to me.

"Sorry boss, don't know English... Mickey Mouse, big one."

I was till laughing when I told her to keep it out of sight so it didn't frighten off the customers.

I now live up north and it's very common to see what look like miners headlamps out in the rice and corn fields at night. It's the local lads hunting rats with their homemade spear-guns. My wife often buys some and wok's them up for breakfast for her and the girls. I have tried it and I must confess I would not be able to tell the difference between that and pat kapow moo with all the garlic and chillis but I'll be sticking to my bacon and eggs in the mornings thank you very much.

Rat was taisty, dog not so good, but ok, croc was fine, bbq kangaroo was very wild, snake abit bland, sea snake like sloopy wet sponge cake, don't go for many of the bugs other than the smaller grasshoppers, deep fried toad was too hard and hurts your gums at times, the worse was chopped up guts, offel etc with fresh blood poured over it and left in the sun for hours to curdle (thailand)(gave me the trots in minutes-straight through me), horse was somewhat wild like emu. There are a few other small rodent type of field animals which the Thais eat, one is called a "tdoon" though they are hard to come by nowadays. All good I reakon, but I still eat more pizza than any of the above . . .

Looks to me you are eating the red shirt more than pizza. hehehe