Ice Cream Sandwich: Android 4

sbk

Question, if a phone or tablet you buy now is upgradable to ICS then what is different to waiting until April or whenever what is presumably the same thing but with ICS installed already? I realize there will be some new phones and tablets out with new features but lets say you buy a galaxy tab now, and upgrade it later (since it will be upgradable) how is that different than buying a galaxy tab later with ICS already installed?

the difference is you have it now.. and if its a Samsung there is NO guarantee that the ICS upgrade will be available here in Thailand.

I have a P1010 7' tab wifi on 2.2 froyo.. europe and other parts of the world have had 2.3 for over a month..still no update here.

note it's a tablet and that's only 2.3 gingerbread NOT 3.0 honeycomb or 4.0 ICS

In December I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Thailand

Came with Android 3.1 Honeycomb

No problems fast & clean...As for ICS & Samsung as thaicbr said it may not be officially

available from Samsung

I am not worried bout being on the bleeding edge of new ROM's unless there is a substantial reason.

Also I am sure if it is important then you can always do it yourself via xda developers

So specifically to your question...No nothing stopping you from waiting & searching out a tab that has ICS

as its stock OS

But at the same time what is your reasons for waiting is there something you specifically want that ICS offers & Honeycomb does not?

Also if by April there is news that a new Ice Cream double scoop etc

is coming out will you wait again?

Sometimes that is how it goes for folks wanting the latest or future new offering.

Edited by flying

Even if you wait until April, 2012 or even December, 2012 the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 would have 3.X on it out of the box. They may transition manufacturing over to replacement models shipping by then, and rely on 10.1/3.X users to upgrade themselves.

Samsung has committed to ICS on the following in Q1, 2012:

Samsung on Tuesday provided more details about its rollout plans for the latest Android 4.0 operating system, dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich.

Starting in the first quarter of 2012, Samsung plans to update the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note to the new mobile OS. After that, the Galaxy R, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Tab 7.7, and Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus will follow suit, the company said in a blog post.

Samsung confirmed last month that the Galaxy S II would receive ICS, but had not yet provided a timetable.

"For upgradable models, Samsung will make separate announcements on details of OS updates schedule for each market according to market situation and carriers' requirements," Samsung wrote.

Note that they have made similar announcements in the past, and have slipped dates by nearly six months.

I would feel 95% confident that Samsung will have an ICS release for GT-P7510 (Tab 10.1/WiFi/16 GB) before June 1, 2012.

There are some ICS custom ROMs that have been cobbled together for the 10.1 but these are a bit crude.

Samsung should leak some builds soon allowing developers to build a better version.

By some accounts the 10.1 will be much, much better with ICS, even though it is a great tablet with 3.X now.

I've wanted a Tab 10.1/16 GB/WiFi only since they were introduced, and still plan to get one. I'm waiting for a sale price in the U.S. ($399 or less), and am considering a refurbished unit.

Edited by lomatopo

there will always be some cooler or faster reason to not buy it now ...........

if you can wait 3-4 months you will get a better /cheaper /faster smartphone ,laptop ,tabet

but as already mentioned ,in april if they say Ice cream double Scoop 4.5 or Apple Crumble 5.0 is coming soon ,will you still wait even longer ? :)

I have a Samsung 10.1 I am happy with the current OS - why would I want to change. Has anyone researched the OS differences? What does ICS give me extra - that I actually need?

Or is this HEIDI at work again - hey everybody is doing it.

I have a Samsung 10.1 I am happy with the current OS - why would I want to change. Has anyone researched the OS differences? What does ICS give me extra - that I actually need?

Since there is no actual Android 4.0 release for the 10.1, nobody is "doing it", and it is challenging to answer your questions. As long as you are happy then you have no reason to change when the release is available, in ~ four months.

Generally speaking, ICS may address some issues, apply fixes, speed up performance, offer new functionality, enhance the UI, make new applications possible, etc., or all the stuff new releases do.

for whats its worth , ics 4.0 is already hacked onto the samsung galaxy S2 on various roms by xda developers and its better but the new features are not signifigant enough to make it worth waiting a 1/3rd of a year for IMO

i switch between roms often and would barely notice the differnce between an ICS 4.0 rom and a Rom built on Gingerbread 2.3.6/7

the next generation of hardware should be interesting ,quad core cpus ,better graphics , undervolted lower to save power ....... but my phone already has a dual core cpu and 1 gb of ram and i have not managed to slow it down yet:)

the next generation of hardware should be interesting ,quad core cpus ,better graphics , undervolted lower to save power ....... but my phone already has a dual core cpu and 1 gb of ram and i have not managed to slow it down yet:)

FWIW there are currently no applications which utilize the dual-core hardware on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, or any dual-core platforms including the SGS2. I suspect the number of cores will become a bit like razor blades. ;) Hopefully applications will be written to take advantage of multi-threading.

So, basically its the same equipment with a new OS, There will be newer equipment coming out but then again that happens every 3-6 months. I have had a few people telling me to wait, something new and way better is coming out in April or whenever and I have to wonder, if I keep waiting for the newest latest thing then I will never have a thing at all.

• Like 1

So, basically its the same equipment with a new OS, There will be newer equipment coming out but then again that happens every 3-6 months. I have had a few people telling me to wait, something new and way better is coming out in April or whenever and I have to wonder, if I keep waiting for the newest latest thing then I will never have a thing at all.

I agree, as soon as you leave the shops with a new phone - TV - PC and even a car it will soon be obsolete so why not buy now if you fell you want/need the item.

Ultimately, if you want to spend the time, you need to figure out what you need the product for, and does it do what you need for the next say 24 months.

On Android tablets we're on a 15 month launch cycle, more or less. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is an excellent base, and will offer application solutions for the next 24 - 36+ months, so hardly obsolete. It's got a dual-core processor and there are still no applications written for this multi-threading capable system.

You can buy when the HW is first launched, mid-way through the launch cycle, or bottom-feed on low prices just as the next gen. is being launched. On smartphones and tablets I'm a bottom-feeder.

edited to add: The multi-tasking capabilities on the Tab 10.1/Android 3.2 are impressive; from what I've seen on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus/ICS the multi-tasking is OK-ish. I hope that any ICS release for the Tab 10.1 will equal or better that of 3.2.

Edited by lomatopo

samsung ,htc ,lg ,motorola,acer etc are in a constant war to have the best phone on the market ,more Processor cores ,clocked even higher ,bigger screens ,higher resolutions ,more ram ,more gpu power ,better battery life ,super unscratchable glass etc etc etc

every time theres a breakthrough bestseller by one ,its best features are copied by the rest

its not going to stop anytime soon ,the market is ferrocious and no respecting manufacturer wil be left behind

i read some article about the new galaxy s3 is going to have a quad core CPU possibly clocked up to 1.8 giggle.gif , a larger 4.6" inch screen with upgraded resolution of 720 or maybe even a breathtaking 1080p and a 12 megapixel HD cam and a battery that can last a full days use

and ram will be 2gb up from 1 gb on the previous model

it sounds like a hell of a phone but there is no applicaations that can even use a dual core yet on the old galaxy s2,they why would they make a quad core this year ......just to be the first ones to do it maybe :)

• Like 1

Ultimately, if you want to spend the time, you need to figure out what you need the product for,

True & I think if 99.999% of the customers did that they would find most devices far exceed their needs

for quite some time now.

If folks enjoy technology & like to experience it to its fullest....The most economical way to do so is one step back from the bleeding edge.

That is where real value exists

• 5 weeks later...

I upgraded a tablet to ICS and its considerably better than Gingerbread. Most noticeable was battery life, a much better tabbed web browser, better multitasking and the user interface is much simpler (and better in my opinion). The thing that has been holding back ICS was Flash support, but Adobe have just released it. There is now a rush for most developers to upgrade phone firmware to ICS; everyone knows its better than Gingerbread and everyone wants it. I would upgrade to it if it was available.

Regarding multicore comment on no apps able to use two cores: computers and Linux don't work like this. Think about one app using one core while another app uses the other? Or another way of looking at it: the kernel multithreads multiple tasks across both cores? Wifi driver on one, another driver on the other? Andriod is cut down Linux with a Dalvik java/virtual machine for Andriod apps; that is Andriod apps are basically Java. Do a ps via adb and you will see lots of apps called com.google.andriod.something; thats Java. So you get the benefit of two cores straight away; no need for special apps to use both cores.

Edited by MaiChai

I upgraded a tablet to ICS and its considerably better than Gingerbread.

Did you mean Gingerbread (2.3.x) or Honeycomb (3.x)? My Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Honeycomb (Android 3.1) has Flash, great multi-tasking, an impressive tabbed browser, and a killer battery (7,000 mAh does that for you).

I can see perhaps a bigger leap, especially for a Tablet, from GB to ICS. I only hope ICS is as good as Honeycomb, and will not upgrade until many others have done so before me.

What make/model tablet? And did you upgrade from Gingerbread or Honeycomb

• Like 1

ICS attempts to merge tablet based Honeycomb with phone based Gingerbread into a single version that works well with tablets and phones. Assume they didn't want to support two code bases. I can say Andriod has improved in leaps with each version (first version I tried was 1.5 on the G1; I had three G1s and have one still knocking around). I have had a Z71 (Welcom A88) and Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) and currently have a Acer Liquid Metal (overclocked to 1Ghz). I bought a Zenithink C91 10" tablet for the girlfriend; we got this for 7500 at Pantip, and running ICS its pretty good. The C91 has a 1 Ghz Cortex 9 and a Mali 400 graphics processor. The Mali graphics is from ARM and is from a graphics company they bought. I would say the vdo seems much improved on the ICS build than on the GB one.

You will need a bigger battery; big LCDs eat alot of power!

Have you come across slatedriod? Its a great site for tablets. The Zenithink one is on there too.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

ICS attempts to merge tablet based Honeycomb with phone based Gingerbread into a single version that works well with tablets and phones. Assume they didn't want to support two code bases.

Thanks, now I have a better understanding of your situation. I totally agree that having GB on a tablet is a bit like having a car with just first gear, so upgrading from GB to ICS (or even Honeycomb, if that path is available) really unleashes the capabilities of a tablet, more so than a phone IMO.

It's too early to tell, and I'm not even sure which brands/models the OP is considering, but the new Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 could, I emphasize could, be worth the wait. But I really need to see the full specs., features, functions, capabilities first, and then figure if those, other than the uSD slot, are capable on the original 10.1, with an ICS upgrade alone.

Or is this HEIDI at work again - hey everybody is doing it.

Ice Cream Sandwich is a substantial upgrade. One of the biggest overhauls of Android since it's come out. Worth the wait or effort in upgrading your current model if it's upgradeable. Depending on how you look at things, a lot of this is "bells and whistles", but supposedly ICS operates significantly smoother and offers better battery life, as well as bringing phones and tablets together under the same OS.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-ice-cream-sandwich-review-21196969/

ICS attempts to merge tablet based Honeycomb with phone based Gingerbread into a single version that works well with tablets and phones. Assume they didn't want to support two code bases.

Thanks, now I have a better understanding of your situation. I totally agree that having GB on a tablet is a bit like having a car with just first gear, so upgrading from GB to ICS (or even Honeycomb, if that path is available) really unleashes the capabilities of a tablet, more so than a phone IMO.

still have 2.2froyo on my Tab wifi1010. I would love Samsung thailand to catch up Europe. where they have gingerbread. . . gasp

Some news on this topic:

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2012/02/samsung-galaxy-s-ics-android-4update.html

The platform update for GALAXY S II and GALAXY Note will start in the first quarter 2012, and other GALAXY devices will soon follow.

The ICS-upgradable devices are the GALAXY S II, GALAXY S II LTE, GALAXY Note, GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7, and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus.

Recent leaks suggested that an update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) will be released on March 1, via the the Samsung Kies app for the Samsung Galaxy Note and Samsung Galaxy S II. However, not everyone will get the update immeidately, it will be dependent upon carrier and country.

Edited by lomatopo

About ICS, does anyone know if it will allow to write on the SD card (again)?

3.1 did allow and I could park many apps on the SD card.

3.2. does not allow anymore. For tablets with small memory (16 GB), it would be good to park some on the SD card.

Or buy a tablet with ample memory. I just got a Lenovo Thankpad with 64GB and Android 3.1. Super!

I am running ICS on a smartphone, and can move/run apps from the SD card so my answer would be, Yes.

FWIW, I still don't get why you'd want to do this though as the uSD card is going to be slower than the internal SD card, at least it is on my phone.

post-9615-0-83602000-1330766488_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-14882700-1330766514_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-03999400-1330766524_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I am running ICS on a smartphone, and can move/run apps from the SD card so my answer would be, Yes.

FWIW, I still don't get why you'd want to do this though as the uSD card is going to be slower than the internal SD card, at least it is on my phone.

sounds like space was the issue, but can't imagine 16gb being a problem either....that's a shit ton of apps.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• 1 month later...