Mokkona Green Box Seen Anywhere In Bkk? Company = Dead

bangkokburning

Tesco never carried the green (espresso) box, but now Tops, BigC - everywhere I have checked (not farang markets ie Villa, Foodland). No hab. Entire line of products off the shelf actually.

Anyone seen this still in stock?

Thanks

Edited by bangkokburning

Can't buy the Moccona Expresso in Phuket at the moment either.

According to the label on my jar (empty) it is made by Sara Lee in Bangkok. The coffee was first produced by Douwe Egberts in 1753. The two companies are intergrated in some way.

Can't buy the Moccona Expresso in Phuket at the moment either.

According to the label on my jar (empty) it is made by Sara Lee in Bangkok. The coffee was first produced by Douwe Egberts in 1753. The two companies are intergrated in some way.

Douwe Egberts was bought by Sara Lee a while ago.

Yes and Moccona has been the brand name here for decades and in 40 years I have never seen it off the shelves but it sure is now. Although some smaller shops may have some it has not been available in Foodland or Lotus for many weeks (any kind). I suspect it has to do with flooding; as seems to be the case with all Scott paper products and most soft drinks.

I don't like Nescafe at all, but that is instant anyway no??

I am looking at:

Giovanni (??) coffee @ B99 (Espresso)

GF brought home a bag of The Coffee Bean @ B105/110 (Espresso), did not do it for me, tasted 'flat'

Last year I was in Trang and forced to buy Bon Cafe (Espresso) - never do that again.

Anyone else that drinks the green box have an alternative? I am thinking of going into Cambodia on my next runner and buying Vietnamese stuff.

Lopburi - how long have you been here, I have always wondered....I bet over 30 years.

Edited by bangkokburning

I dont think it is SaraLee but what does out of range mean? thx

dam_n....out of range.......uhm.......yes it is range. In Dutch "assortiment" or in German "Reichweite" or in French "large". It's not sold anymore.

From another forum I read, that Sara Lee suggests an alternative.

Very interesting Lopburi. I would have loved to see the entire region during that time. It was a big interest of mine in university. SEA 1965-85.

Anyway, I tried Giovanni coffee today (b99 200gr). It was also flat, between this and Coffee Bean, it was CB for me.

Anyone tried Doi or Dio coffee? Tesco? OR VIP coffee (espresso) but at B150 OUCH!

Dead for good? I'm most interested in the pre-mix 3-in-1 bags (Trio Aktiv, Gold, and so on). They had a good product, what a bunch of &$^#&!

Can anyone give the phone number on the package a call, and please report here any news? I'm not in TL for a couple months, and writing is all in Thai.

From the bag --> 02-529-3276

Back of a packet says Douwe Egberts, supposedly in Holland, packed and distributed by Sara Lee Thailand. Couldn't find much online except a physical address and a landline for SaraLee TL.

Sara Lee Thailand Ltd

1635-1637 Pattanakarn Road

Khet Suan Luang

Suan Luang

Bangkok 10250

Phone: +662 719 3701

Fax: +662 318 2713

Good news today as found Maconna Trio, Maconna Select Red 80 grm refills and at least one other type of 80 grm refill on shelf of Foodland, Latphao Road. So it appears new stock starting to get to markets. Also found first new shipments of Scott Toilet tissue on shelves today.

DE is an ages old Dutch cofee (and tobacco and tea) company, bought by SL some years ago. In NL the name Moccona is only used for the instant cofee but due to its unpronounceable name (even for you Brits) the name Moccona is used anywhere else for all its cofee. They tea is horrible, BTW. It is very famous in NL due to its points you can save to gain cofee machines, cups and saucers etc.

The factory in TH(=not where the office is) has been severely flooded, incl the stocks-the rest anyone with the slightest of brains can think of.

Just this week I saw that some of its products are also back on the shelves of tescoLotus-which likely means the factory is running again-maybe only on smaller scale and that the other products with lower sales may be back on sprmrt shelves in due course.

the 7s offered it always as alternative to Nescafe to make yourself the 14 bt 3in1 cf-this is replaced by Khaoshong

Noted the stock date at Foodland was 30 January so should be getting to other retailers by now but expect it will be a slow process with buyers buying up first lots; as happens with anything, but is more acute after the flooding shortages and bulk buying frenzy.

Just saw this topic and have the same problem in Chiang Mai for the last several weeks. Usually pick up Mocona Select but my usual places had the shelves packed with Nescafe and no Mocona in site. Just tried Big C, Tops, and Tesco Lotus same thing. Found a few bags of Mocona (not Select) at Rimping so hoping it starts showing up soon. They had some in fancy jars but silly expensive.

Message to coffee drinkers who do not think Douwe Egberts -- the worst ground coffee ever sold in Thailand -- is drinkable and therefore will be interested.

Giovanni is a good ground coffee brand but has suddenly leapt in price by 50%. Quite extraordinary! Was about 104B per 200g pack for years, and this month has soared to 159B.

Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee: this is the best locally grown and processed brand, available at Tops and Foodland.

No green box, in fact no fresh Moccona coffee (only red powder) @ following:

Rachada Tops

Rachada BigC

Esplanade Tops

Grand Rama9 Tops

Tesco Pra Ram 9

SPR - well could have fooled all of us! Appears this coffee is quite popular. I tried Giovanni and found it wanting AND poor value (200gm) @99. Latest buy - Coffee Bean Espresso B105. Just want the green box back.

Giovanni is only 99B.

Edited by bangkokburning

Message to coffee drinkers who do not think Douwe Egberts -- the worst ground coffee ever sold in Thailand -- is drinkable and therefore will be interested.

Giovanni is a good ground coffee brand but has suddenly leapt in price by 50%. Quite extraordinary! Was about 104B per 200g pack for years, and this month has soared to 159B.

Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee: this is the best locally grown and processed brand, available at Tops and Foodland.

100 % agree with that ! Give DUANG DEE HILL TRIBE COFFEE a try !

Better support local producers and the Hilltribe community, plus the coffee is STRONG, delicious and they have several options you can choose from (Smooth, Arabica, Robusta). Very moderately priced too ! comes in 250 gr Packs or 500 gr Packs.

sadly, only Foodland is selling it here in Bangkok, and there is no branch within 10 KM of my home.