Buying A Pre Paid Credit Card

Hey Guys - i want to buy a pre loaded credit card for internet purchases, or a virtual credit card. Does anyone know where i can buy one, that will be accepted everywhere, and that can be topped up easy?

thanks in advance

Assuming you are living in Thailand, you could open a savings account with Kasikornbank, you can get a Visa Debit Card linked to the account that can be registered for online use, you can also register for a virtual credit card, which again is linked to your account.

No need to get a pre-loaded credit card, not sure that they are available anyway, with both of the above options the money is simply debited to your savings account. The virtual card is free and the debit card costs about 200 THB per year.

• Like 1

i bought one before in the UK, in a lovely shop called Cash Convertors....

i simply walked to the counter, paid my money, and was given the card........

no account was required and no ID was shown

is there a service like that here in thailand???

i bought one before in the UK, in a lovely shop called Cash Convertors....

i simply walked to the counter, paid my money, and was given the card........

no account was required and no ID was shown

is there a service like that here in thailand???

I am fairly sure it is not. The virtual credit card companies all seem to not operate in Thailand. So the Kasikorn bank route is the way to go. I actually today opened my Kasikorn bank account just to get this virtual credit card.

There are limitations. Some companies, e.g. airlines, want to see a card. I would be interested to know if others have recent experience on this.

The virtual credit card companies all seem to not operate in Thailand. So the Kasikorn bank route is the way to go. I actually today opened my Kasikorn bank account just to get this virtual credit card.

There are limitations. Some companies, e.g. airlines, want to see a card. I would be interested to know if others have recent experience on this.

With your Kasikornbank account get a debit card, you can then register it, via an ATM, to use online which means you can purchase airline tickets and have a physical card to show the airline, you can even get a card with your name embossed on it.

As a matter of interest I have used my virtual card for Air Asia, they are one of the few that say they need to see the card.

The virtual credit card companies all seem to not operate in Thailand. So the Kasikorn bank route is the way to go. I actually today opened my Kasikorn bank account just to get this virtual credit card.

With your Kasikornbank account get a debit card, you can then register it, via an ATM, to use online which means you can purchase airline tickets and have a physical card to show the airline, you can even get a card with your name embossed on it.

As a matter of interest I have used my virtual card for Air Asia, they are one of the few that say they need to see the card.

...if you have the debit card registered for online, why did you use the virtual card when you knew Air Asia wanted to see your card...? (I'm intrigued)

Sorry, there was a typo in my post, I meant to say that Air Asia don't need to see the card.

It's only comparatively recently that you could register your debit card for online use, so their virtual card was good for booking flights with carriers that don't ask to see the card used for booking, like Air Asia, some carriers specifically exclude virtual cards.

Now that you can use Kasikorn debit cards online I don't use the virtual card and I can book with any airline.

Edited by theoldgit

My card doesn't have my name on it. Where did I go wrong? It is a debit card. It says 'privileged member' on it.

My card doesn't have my name on it. Where did I go wrong? It is a debit card. It says 'privileged member' on it.

You have to order it from the bank, takes about a week.

Look under product details http://www.kasikornb...ges/KDebit.aspx I didn't bother with a photo.

Is the advantage merely that the security is better with your name on it (as the Bank says on its website). Or by having the name on the front, you found it easier when using the card to make online purchases...?

You have to order it from the bank, takes about a week.

Look under product details http://www.kasikornb...ges/KDebit.aspx I didn't bother with a photo.

Is the advantage merely that the security is better with your name on it (as the Bank says on its website). Or by having the name on the front, you found it easier when using the card to make online purchases...?

I went for the card with my name on it as we were about to tour the UK and Europe, where the point of sale terminals are predominantly "chip & pin", I thought having a name would make it easier as my card wasn't "chip & pin". Likewise if I purchased an airline ticket with the name on the card being "privileged member" and the ticket purchased in the name of "theoldgit" I may have encountered a problem, I may not have done, but as the card was the same price I decided to go with it.

It may be more secure with my name on I really don't know, as you know some assistants look and some don't, if a woman tried to use the card then maybe they wouldn't succeed, maybe they would, I really don't know - maybe next time I will get a photo on it.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

If you want to use it only online you could use this, it's an app on your smartphone and you can top it up online from your bank account or with cash at any 7/11: http://ext.truemoney.com/wecard/

Afaik only available for Thais, i used my GFs id card to be able to use this.

I don't know what the limit is, i only used this for small stuff.

Edited by jackdd

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

we have two AA pre loaded credit cards from the UK.  Work fine and can be reloaded on the internet from LOS. Once loaded up, they act just like any other MasterCard... 

...that rips you off.

Why would you do such a thing? Waste of money. 

Currently with that card; £1 = 38.0469 8.8% off the mark

What were you thinking?

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

https://loot.io

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

are more sensible choices. Throw the AA cards away...