Retirement Visa Changes Or Updates

I renewed my retirement visa last April and will do again in 2 months. I use the 800,000 baht method on deposit at least 3 months. I Used the forms tm8 and tm7.

Do any members know if there has been some change to the process in the last year? New requirements added or deleted? If there is I may need time to prepare something different.

Any news appreciated.

No changes, just renewed mine last week. Contrary to what will appear here on ocassion posted by the uninformed the laws do not change on a daily basis. Having said that the whims of humans do fluctuate on a daily basis and what the immigration office you go to will ask for may have changed.

permission to extend stay in the kingdom

Letter from Embassy for income

Copies of passport and visas

1 photo

Signed all copies

Phone Number

They didn't ask for proof of address, or proof of income other than letter from Embassy, nor proof of income imported into Kingdom Your experience may be different.

Edited by moe666

Welcome to the Thai Visa forum, Packwan.

First a little clarification -- you don't "renew" a retirement visa; you "extend" your permission to remain in the kingdom for 12 months due to retirement. Yes, most retirees here call it "renewing" their retirement visa, but it will help in your understanding of the process if you keep the correct terminology in mind.

Secondly, a few questions:

1. What immigration office do you use? There are minor differences in enforcement between the different locales.

2. What is your nationality? This is more of an issue if someone is using an income letter from an embassy that doesn't require their citizens to show actual proof of income (like the U.S.)

3. How many times have you extended your permission to stay due to retirement at your local immigration office? Often, they're more understanding with people they know and have seen every 90 days for years.

In general, the answer to your question is that nothing has changed in the past year based on the little we know about your situation, but we may have more information based on more details from you.

I use the 800000 baht method in savings account for more than 3 months so there wasnt need for income papers. I renewed at Chang wantana office. I got letter from the bank, the Tm7 and Tm8 forms, re-entry, double copies of everything.

I am US. Prior Siam legal did everything first time, then I extended myself. Just inquiring about possible new changes that seem to happen allot. Seems everyone is saying nothing new from out of the blue.

It must be you needed copies that you did not have rather than more copies. But if getting re-entry there would be extra copies required for that. For extension of stay only one copy of each item is required. Passport data page, visa, extension(s) and departure card, and financials if using deposit method.

If one has a savings account with the requisite THB800k for the three months prior, does one need a "letter from the bank", and if so, what does that letter say? I have previously used a 3 month fixed deposit, and HSBC produced a letter showing the deposit amount, when it was placed and when it matured. As this seemed to cause IMM a problem last year, I will this year use a savings account. Does that savings account have to be accommpanied by any letter; I presume it's quite self-explanatory. I renew/extend at Chaengwattana. Thanks.

(With the announcement that HSBC will close to retail customers, I am trying to establish what if anything my new bank has to produce, if I have the savings passbook; HSBC seemed particularly au fait with what was required, so I've never really looked too deeply into that aspect of, but I suspect the new bank I choose may not be so blessed.)

If one has a savings account with the requisite THB800k for the three months prior, does one need a "letter from the bank", and if so, what does that letter say? I have previously used a 3 month fixed deposit, and HSBC produced a letter showing the deposit amount, when it was placed and when it matured. As this seemed to cause IMM a problem last year, I will this year use a savings account. Does that savings account have to be accommpanied by any letter; I presume it's quite self-explanatory. I renew/extend at Chaengwattana. Thanks.

(With the announcement that HSBC will close to retail customers, I am trying to establish what if anything my new bank has to produce, if I have the savings passbook; HSBC seemed particularly au fait with what was required, so I've never really looked too deeply into that aspect of, but I suspect the new bank I choose may not be so blessed.)

Samtam, they asked for letter from the bank.. I got it by request at the brach office but took 2-3 days and cost 100 baht. You definately must have letter from the bank. Also chnag watana will ask u to make a small deposit on the renewal day and copy the updated bank book so they are sure u have more than 800000baht that day. I went downstairs from chang watana and deposited 500 baht, updated bank book and had to make a copy.

I use the 800000 baht method in savings account for more than 3 months so there wasnt need for income papers. I renewed at Chang wantana office. I got letter from the bank, the Tm7 and Tm8 forms, re-entry, double copies of everything.

I am US. Prior Siam legal did everything first time, then I extended myself. Just inquiring about possible new changes that seem to happen allot. Seems everyone is saying nothing new from out of the blue.

As i pointed out in my post no rule changes, they have not been happening a lot. It may appear to happen as personal in immigration will use the phrase new rules to justify some whim they have. But there has been no new rules since what 2006

This year, first time, I will use a fixed deposit for the 800K requirement.

Obviously, I cannot make an updated booking on the day of application.

Will the bank letter suffice? I use Chaeng Wattana Immigration in BKK.

Thanks!

There are bank branches in Chaeng Wattana

Just a minor point on "up-dating" a fixed deposit passbook.

Because entries for interest accruals are made every three months, up-dating the fixed deposit passbook on or before the day of your visit to Immo may not show any activity since the last interest deposit -- which could have been months ago. And with many (all?) "fixed" deposit accounts you cannot make deposits or withdrawals during the fixed time period.

That has been my situation and Immo/CW has never had a problem that the passbook did not show activity on/or recently before my visit to Immo.

Because entries for interest accruals are made every three months, up-dating the fixed deposit passbook on or before the day of your visit to Immo may not show any activity since the last interest deposit -- which could have been months ago. And with many (all?) "fixed" deposit accounts you cannot make deposits or withdrawals during the fixed time period.

That has been my situation and Immo/CW has never had a problem that the passbook did not show activity on/or recently before my visit to Immo.

Thanks, Tao!

That makes sense. I was just wondering, all the problems reported here.

Thanks, Tao!

That makes sense. I was just wondering, all the problems reported here.

Don't count on Chaeng Watthana accepting a passbook that isn't updated very recently. I applied in November for an extension based on money in a fixed deposit at Suan Phlu (not Chaeng Watthana because of the floods). Immigration would not accept a passbook that wasn't updated on the same day or the day before, so I had to go down to the closest branch of Kasikorn Bank where they solved the problem by making a deposit of zero baht.

Sophon

Why don't you just get a letter from your Embassy stating you get Baht 65,000 per month, this saves you from having baht 800,000 tied up in a Thai bank.

US embassy charges $75 USD for letter notorised!! Fleesed by my own govt as well!!

If you go the income route, income from within Thailand is shown with tax papers and incoem from abroad is confirmed with a letter from your embassy confirming your income.

A bankbook showing everymonth 65,000 is no proof and not required. You can recieve your income abroad and keep it in a foreign bank.

To summarize to the original question answered by Moe666 for extension of retirement visa.

Letter from Embassy for income ORcopy bankbook 800,000 baht last 3 monnths plus letter from the bank

Copies of passport and visas

1 photo

Signed all copies

Phone Number

1 copy form TM7

Are copies of the prior extensions necessary?

for re-entry permit:

form TM8. plus copy Tm8?

photo?

copy passport cover page?

Anything else?