Skype In Thailand

manarak

I previously tried to reroute by VoIP a Swiss phone phone number onto a Thai mobile and the results were abysmal: very bad quality of connection (unintelligible), some calls didn't even come through (about 25%).

Now I am thinking of going the VoIP way all the way to the phone, i.e. the Swiss number will be a Skype entry number, and I will hook my smartphone in Thailand to Skype, using one of the 'unlimited data' plans available.

Has anyone done this already and how were the results in terms of quality?

what do you mean 'SKYPE entry number' ? or you mean the SKYPE online number ?

if so, you can use the SKYPE Call Forward and transfer the incoming SKYPE call to a mobile. voice quality OK, I use it occasionally. it is free if you are a paid subscriber of other services.

check the SKYPE link below :

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/call-forwarding/

what do you mean 'SKYPE entry number' ? or you mean the SKYPE online number ?

if so, you can use the SKYPE Call Forward and transfer the incoming SKYPE call to a mobile. voice quality OK, I use it occasionally. it is free if you are a paid subscriber of other services.

check the SKYPE link below :

http://www.skype.com...all-forwarding/

ummm... not sure I was very clear on the intended setup

I plan to buy a local Swiss number which will connect to a Skype server, so Skype knows that all calls incoming on that Swiss number are to be redirected to my Skype account.

And I plan to use a mobile in the LOS to connect to Skype.

No PC involved anywhere.

I guess I will have to try to find out!

EDIT: I just noticed that my SIP provider also offers a softphone - I will try that, it costs only 10% of Skype.

Edited by manarak

Results can be unpredictable on 3G or Edge networks, but on the landlines they are generally fine.

You should bear in mind that when using SIP or VoIP that certain mobile operators will block the required ports, although Skype itself is very hard to block.

(90% of skype videos calls are fine for me using my mobile AIS HSPA+ (3.5g) in Pattaya.

I plan to buy a local Swiss number which will connect to a Skype server, so Skype knows that all calls incoming on that Swiss number are to be redirected to my Skype account.

And I plan to use a mobile in the LOS to connect to Skype.

No PC involved anywhere.

I use my VOIP system on my Android mobile also. I have one UK and one continental EU number. Works fine, for zero cost per call for incoming calls.

it is a different mechanism. forward SKYPE to a mobile, SKYPE call arrives the mobile service provider and connect to you via voice signal. using SKYPE on wifi or 3G that is based on a data service, in Thailand often not as smooth.

it is a different mechanism. forward SKYPE to a mobile, SKYPE call arrives the mobile service provider and connect to you via voice signal. using SKYPE on wifi or 3G that is based on a data service, in Thailand often not as smooth.

Very much mixed results for Skype mobile. Skype is also a huge power pig on the iPhone, the phone gets hot if you use it too long, it drains the battery like nothing.

For business, I'd definitely recommend the skype-mobile route via a voice call. Better quality and better battery...

Very much mixed results for Skype mobile. Skype is also a huge power pig on the iPhone, the phone gets hot if you use it too long, it drains the battery like nothing.

For business, I'd definitely recommend the skype-mobile route via a voice call. Better quality and better battery...

Voice was what I tried before, but the quality was very bad.

can imagine loading SKYPE into the small processor of a mbile device, there are lot of tasks from public wifi / 3G connection to digital-audio conversion.

that's why I use the call forwarding feature and I pickup the incoming SKYPE call via voice signal. unless I call from my mobile, then I launch the SKYPE on my mobile.

yeah, incoming SKYPE call voice ok, outgoing call voice somewhat not as good.

Why do people use a fairly expensive proprietary protocol (Skype) when a better and cheaper alternative (SIP) exists?

For anyone with a recent Android phone, the software is already built-in, and there are numerous other free apps available. And there are loads of SIP providers.

Skype seems to work quite well given the unstable (compare to US and EU) internet connections, I think it may be to do with p2p nature of how skype works (not sure of the details, i may be wrong)

Ive used voipcheap.com before and calling an international landline the quality would be subpar, however doing the same with skype quality is much better, unfortunate prices much higher. I think every new skype account has 30 seconds of free real-phone calling so give it a try? The skype test call service would also be a good indicator..

certainly SKYPE is more expensive than others. if call pattern simply Thailand<>Europe<>US, then many many other choices.

SKYPE seems to have better / stabler coverage, especially in countries with proprietary telecom networks. also, local connection numbers ( land-to-skype ) are quiet handy for the generation without smart phone nor a computer.

oops . . . this is not a SKYPE commercial :-)

I use skype it is dirt cheap it cost me 500 baht every 3 months for a UK number and it cost 150 baht a month for unlimited Thailand landlines and mobile calls, then i forward skype to mobile, so anyone calls me from UK directs to my mobile, probably 1 out of 10 times they have to call back to get a better signal but the 9 other times are great.

Cannot see how you can get cheaper than that

Now I am thinking of going the VoIP way all the way to the phone, i.e. the Swiss number will be a Skype entry number, and I will hook my smartphone in Thailand to Skype, using one of the 'unlimited data' plans available.

Calling to Thai phones from Skype is rubbish. I bought one of the worldwide unlimited subscription plans with skype on a smart phone, with the view to replace my standard DTAC mobile service, with ASDL wifi at home and office i thought it would be fine....WRONG, quality was terrible compared to a standard mobile call; I canceled it after 1 month.

I use skype it is dirt cheap it cost me 500 baht every 3 months for a UK number and it cost 150 baht a month for unlimited Thailand landlines and mobile calls, then i forward skype to mobile, so anyone calls me from UK directs to my mobile, probably 1 out of 10 times they have to call back to get a better signal but the 9 other times are great.

I pay nothing for my UK number and the SIP call forwarding to my PC and/or Android phone is also free. I'm certain it's not possible to get cheaper than that.

I pay nothing for my UK number and the SIP call forwarding to my PC and/or Android phone is also free. I'm certain it's not possible to get cheaper than that.

I agree with Darrell here, Skype is both expensive and their protocol ineffective and their software bloatware that suck battery and bandwidth at least on Android phones.

I've used voipdiscount.com for a few years (paid 10 EUR for some call time and it has taken me 3+ years to spend :P) but the quality has not impressed me, generally poor call quality. I considered if getting a locally based SIP host such as thaitelephone.com might improve the call quality. Anyone have first hand experience with that? Any SIP host that works well in Thailand - even for local calls?

Those who use skype be aware that there was recently a deal on ensogo.com.

Another poorly designed Thai website. Thai splash page only, only way to proceed is to click randomly on the page.

Generally sip calling to PC's are all free so no biggie there and if you had a sip app for Android then one would expect that to be free also but the what with the spotty 3G access around thailand that is harldy going to be reliable way of recieveing calls not to mention the battery it would cain having to have a VOIP app open all day on already battery zapping platform like android, at least with skype it is a failry reliable serivice and not dependant on data to recieve calls(if you use call forwarding)

But out of interest what sip comapny offer a free UK number?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 6 months since I got my last UK number, but they do check your IP address when you register and make sure you are using www.sipgate.co.uk

They still advertise.....

What is sipgate? trans.gif sipgate is a free Internet telephone service provider.

trans.gif

sipgate is like a fixed line ...

• Real phone numbers across the country