Arguing With Teerak Over The Aircon...

MaiChai

Now I don't know what your experiences are with other halves, but personally I am not a great fan of aircon. Here is my logic: I come from a cold country to stay in Thailand where its warm. Thus I like tropical breezes flowing through the apartment rather than being woken up in the middle of the night freezing from the aircon. I can do that in my own home country and save alot of money by not coming over! I specifically come here to avoid the freezing winter in my home country, which is in the northern hemisphere. So I don't want to live in an aircon environment!

So teerak likes aircon. Its almost like a status symbol; the higher your electric bill every month, some how the higher your status in society? So we have to come to a compromise. Here is how it works. If the temp is ok, she will tolerate it until she gets hot. The aircon then goes on (I am asleep); I wake up with a cold back and it gets switched off. The irony is that if she wasn't with me, she would be in her country village without aircon, and would not be able to afford the cost of the equipment nor the electric bill! Touche!

So how do others deal with this? I have a friend who has a similar attitude to me; he ends up sleeping alone! Grrr.

Glad I got that off my chest...

Edited by MaiChai

"if she wasn't with me, she would be in her country village without aircon, and would not be able to afford the cost of the equipment nor the electric bill! Touche"

And there lies the anomaly,how can someone who is used to the high temperatures be hotter than a westerner who is not used to the heat?

Actually some Thai women do the same in reverse in the west i.e go around turning the Central Heating down (or off) in the Winter time,which would be set around 23% C (in Europe say) as opposed to somewhere around 35%C in Thailand.

It doesn't make sense to me either, I guess it's some form of control!

"if she wasn't with me, she would be in her country village without aircon, and would not be able to afford the cost of the equipment nor the electric bill! Touche"

And there lies the anomaly,how can someone who is used to the high temperatures be hotter than a westerner who is not used to the heat?

Actually some Thai women do the same in reverse in the west i.e go around turning the Central Heating down (or off) in the Winter time,which would be set around 22% C (in Europe say) as opposed to somewhere around 35%C in Thailand.

Sorry about the double Post.

We turn ours on a few hours before sleep and set the timer to turn it off a few hours after we are asleep.

Also have the fan on low throughout.

• Like 1

I had exactly the same kind of conversation the other day with my wife -- after the aircon in our main bedroom went out...and she insisted on sleeping in our second bedroom that had a working air con...until we got the main bedroom one replaced...

She swore she couldn't sleep at night in BKK untless she had air con... I pointed out that her family's home upcountry -- for her entire life growing up there, and even still today -- never has had air con... And she slept fine all those years... (Though to be fair, she doesn't like to sleep overnight at her family's house these days...for that very same reason. So at least she's being consistent.)

And her response to me was... it's different in BKK... it's more hot here than upcountry.... Not sure I buy that... But what are you gonna do???

We got the main air con bedroom replaced the other day...and now everything's back to normal.... Though I'll turn up the thermostat at night without telling her... so mostly it's just the aircon fan running, especially now during the cooler season... And she seems fine about that, or at least, doesn't notice it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Actually some Thai women do the same in reverse in the west i.e go around turning the Central Heating down (or off) in the Winter time,which would be set around 22% C (in Europe say) as opposed to somewhere around 35%C in Thailand.

Sorry about the double Post.

We turn ours on a few hours before sleep and set the timer to turn it off a few hours after we are asleep.

Also have the fan on low throughout.

Though, we could easily install a unit or two - we would prefer not to live with a/c. We feel uncomfortable with the chill. We can live without it.

This seems so familiar. My partner insists on air-con at night, even in the coolest of weather. He then hides under a thick duvet clutching a bolster. In the meantime I'm chilly with no duvet. As for the logic in this, I think there is none.

If you're in Bangkok, as I am, I can sympathize but the weather is very different to other parts of the country. Phuket has lovely soft breezy weather, not sticky and humid like Bangkok; this explains the air con use - more for the dehumidifying effects than about the actual temperature, I think.

This seems so familiar. My partner insists on air-con at night, even in the coolest of weather. He then hides under a thick duvet clutching a bolster.

Maybe they just like air-con. I know that I do and I sleep under a blanket because I sleep much better when my face is cool. A lot of Thais prefer the cool - even though most do not.

Just because your girlfriend is born and are upraised without the access to A/C doesn´t mean that she dont need one. I am born in Sweden and I just hate being hot and try to sleep. I really need A/C.

Suggest that maybe you can half way you and your girlfriend, raise the temperature at the A/C and add a little extra fan and by that she will be cold down and you will be happy having decided what to do!!

We all had this problem when coming here.

Just teach her that 26 / 27 is cold enough if she quits her stpid habits.

Also, you might enjoy aircon later when you get bored with your skin being permanently wet: aircon after shower dries the atmosphere.

Also, better freeze the room before sleeping then stop aircon when you sleep and use only fan.

Teerak will feel nothing or she is just a liar.

My (Thia) wife will occasionally assert that she is hot in any room (anywhere in the world) even if its 23C in the room & I am a bit cool. After debating that she has spent most of her lfie in steamy Bangkok with no aircon, we eventually realsied that she isn't really 'hot' per-se, but is used to having a FAN on in the room (ie: grew up with no AC but always a fan on). She feels "hot" if there isn't a breese (from a fan) moving air about. So I can finally save on AC by just turning the fan function of the AC on but not making it any colder. Now we're both happy.