Do You Get Pulled Over Often?

Eastender

The reason for the question is my Thai wife will have the use of a car during my next visit to Thailand. We need to drive between BKK and Nakhon Sawan (4 hours north). I wonder if I were to help out with the driving is it more likely I would get pulled over and driving documents checked?

The documents you need are you International Driver's Permit + your national driver's license.

I'm assuming of course the vehicle is taxed and tested, if not, don't drive it.

As for your specific Question, there is a specific driving offense that you need to watch out for.

"Driving a vehicle while in posession of a white face and under the influence of a wallet full of money".

The Thai police don't specifically look out for Farang, but they are mighty delighted if they do manage to catch one.

I have been driving on Phuket for 3 years - this place is notorious for fining farang-but the only time I was ever stopped was south of Ranong at an official police checkpoint.

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe my skirt is short enough...... :o

The reason for the question is my Thai wife will have the use of a car during my next visit to Thailand.  We need to drive between BKK and Nakhon Sawan (4 hours north).  I wonder if I were to help out with the driving is it more likely I would get pulled over and driving documents checked?

Have driven and ridden this stretch many times and touch wood never been asked for anything. Sometimes coming out of BKK there are police checks and you might get pulled over and asked to show documents. Coming out of NS about 15kms south there is usually a check point,again maybe asked to show docs. Make sure both seat belts are on.

Only twice I can remember in the past five years and I drive in Bangkok daily.

Once for thinking I could speed up and make it through the green light before it changed -- I couldn't -- and the second for a routine tax/registration check. No complaints.

GuestHouse.  Among the necessary documents you didn't mention insurance.  Was there a reason for this omission?  Is it, shall we say, 'optional'?  I'm thinking of myself driving for just a few hours total.

Third Party insurance is compulsory by law for bodily injury, Baht 50,000 per person and Baht 5,000,000 per accident minimum as I remember. You are covered if you are driving with the car owners permission and you are licenced...so as above...get the International and take your own licence.

Yes, if I understand your meaning, many regard it as "optional" but if the Police do stop you (highly unlikely if you are sensible) they may well not do...

Sometimes, my (thai)girlfriend gets stop by the police in Bangkok, eg. at Victory, for a minor mistake on driving. She never hands out her license, just says she forgot it if questioned further, usually 100 baht will be fine anyways. She tells me if she would give her license over, especially with farang, there would be more trouble/cost.. Propably won't do with us farangs though...

Have no idea hows things upcountry. Good luck to u all.

I have a card, that helps me out a lot. I call it my magic "Ajarn" card.

It is my id card for Mahidol University, where I teach. I have been in the car several times when my wife, or our school driver has been waved over. I calmly hand them my ajarn card, and they usual take about 5 seconds before they hand it back, and wave us on.

Not sure why it works, but it is 5 for 5 so far!

From my experience I've only ben pulled over by the coppers for doing something wrong, speeding, dodgy U-turn etc. The coppers have always been fair with me.

As long as your stickers on the windscreen are upto date, and your seatbelt is on, you've nothing to worry about.

I drive daily in Bangkok and dont have many problems, maybe stopped 3 times in a year - just keep 200 baht handy and theres no issues.

My post may seem a little unfair to the poor old Thai police - i have actually only been stopped when doing wrong - speeding / change lanes / u turn in wrong place etc etc - then its 200 Baht - never been stopped otherwise!

:o

I have a card, that helps me out a lot.  I call it my magic "Ajarn" card.

It is my id card for Mahidol University, where I teach.  I have been in the car several times when my wife, or our school driver has been waved over.  I calmly hand them my ajarn card, and they usual take about 5 seconds before they hand it back, and wave us on.

Not sure why it works, but it is 5 for 5 so far!

Ever since I got my Chiangmai university staff ID card I've actually been looking to be pulled over for spot checks to see how it would work. :o

Probably get hit by spot checks about once a year. Last year they stopped me because my tax sticker was in the middle of the windscreen and not to the left and they thought I didn't have one. Showed my DL and the policeman just warned me it should be on the left. Changed it that day. Funny thing is that many years ago putting it in the middle of the window was the norm. Also have a University sticker in my window so that may reduce the number of stops.

The reason for the question is my Thai wife will have the use of a car during my next visit to Thailand.  We need to drive between BKK and Nakhon Sawan (4 hours north).  I wonder if I were to help out with the driving is it more likely I would get pulled over and driving documents checked?

driven from bkk to n/sawan a fair bit have been stopped a couple of times

also on way backto bkk have seen the old bill on side of road holding a massive radio wearing those police issue shades watchin the cars drive by lookin for there next paycheck

i have had to pay 500 baht for speeding and once in bangkok got stopped taken to a booth and had to pay 200 baht for driving in the bus lane

after i paid i was told to use the bus lane to go quick quick and not wait in traffic

i only ever had uk licence on me which was ok ..

but in 13 years driving backwards and forwards on this boring road probably been lucky with the men in the brown suits and shades...just drive sensible and u should be ok

i only ever hire a car with insurance but u never really know ...after all at the end of the day u r a farang drivin in thailand!!

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed the look of the vehicle really matters.

I have heard of a Thai who had a pick-up truck and rarely got pulled over but then he put some money into the pick-up to put body-kit, mags, lowered, graphics and started getting pulled-over every other week. He soon after sold the car and bought a new pick-up and went back to rarely being pulled over again.

Jeremy

If you are asking because you don't have the necessary documents (not even an international drivers license) then don't risk it. Police everywhere in the world have some sort of telepathic radar for that.

Assuming you have a license, you'll be fine as long as your car windshield has up to date tax and insurance stickers (this is what they look at when the have cars stop at checkpoints), your seat belts on, and you don't violate any traffic rules in places where cops hang hang out (I won't say don't violate any rules becuase let's face it...to stay alive on the road here one does have to drive at least slightly like a Thai).

There are a few spots that are notorious as police traps. One is on the Vipawdhi-Rangsit road where Phaholytin forks off it. The sign comes late forcing most people to turn left where there is a solid white line...and a phalanx of police just waiting. They've gotten me there twice. I never paid more than 20-30 Baht, though. Which I believe is the Thai rate. (of course the ante goes way up if you don't have a valid license to show).

Only have ever been pulled up if I've done something wrong. My trick is to insist that they actually give me a fine, as I was in the wrong. It usually ends up not being worth their while so they tell you not to do it again wave you on.

And although it isn't the rule, I've seen coppers actually turn down cash. Specifically, an young girl in Sukhumvit had done an illegal U turn or something. The copper refused all attempts at giving over money and actually inisted that the girl get a proper fine. Defintely made me smile.

>As long as your stickers on the windscreen are upto date, and your

> seatbelt is on, you've nothing to worry about.

> From my experience I've only ben pulled over by the coppers for doing

> something wrong, speeding, dodgy U-turn etc. The coppers have always

> been fair with me.

Me too. Completely agree. Anyone tells you otherwise and my guess they're a bit out there in general, not just when driving vehicles.. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Me too. Completely agree.  Anyone tells you otherwise and my guess they're a bit out there in general, not just when driving vehicles.. :o 

I remember once when I was in Lampang. Had a carload of girls with me (my gf and her friends) and we were off to tour the sites. Was driving on a side road parallel to the main highway and came to an intersection. Everybody told me to turn right and get onto the highway (about 20 meters away). It just didn't feel right in that it seemed to be a dangerous manuever the way the intersection was setup. Turned right then left onto the highway and presto, a policeman was standing there and waved me over.

He walked over to myside and asked for my license. Asked him what was wrong and he stated I made an illegal right turn and there was a posted sign. I said that I didn't see it (which I didn't what with all the yacking the girls were doing) and apologized (looking confused at the same time - that works wonders). He went to the other side of the car and got out his ticket book when my gf suggested to give 100 hundred baht. She went to talk to him explaining I'm a tourist and didn't know any better. :D

Well he refused to except the money and returned my license to me and said to be more careful (no ticket issued). So my experience has always shown that they can be more then fair.

Got to admit (touch woood) that I haven't been stopped unless I have done something wrong like an illegal u-turn - but 100B is better than 45 minutes in traffic.

On the bike if I slow for the checkpoints they wave me on but normally I just drop it down a cog and blast through - nobody really cares.

Being a farang sometimes has advantages. You are far less likely to have ownership and insurance papers checked. They see you and lick their lips in anticipation of at least a double or triple fine. I was pulled over just south of Korat along with a large pack of cars and trucks. The Thais were getting checked over thoroughly and being fined 200 baht. They wanted 500 baht from me and checked no papers. My Thai wife is (quite frugal) kee neo mach mach and we paid the 200 baht the same as the Thai drivers.

I've only ever been stopped twice. Once for driver license checks, no problem. Once at same intersection for helmet violation (my fault; temporarily insane). I offered to pay 200 baht fine on the spot, which was accepted, and we went on our way. That's in over 33,000 km of some very aggressive riding. But I've always had a helmet (except that one time), insurance and tax sticker, etc.

It is so un-American to start a post saying, "I've only ever ......"