Chicken Tikka Foodstalls Anywhere?

scotinsiam

I was wondering if anyone had noticed if there are any foodcarts around the City selling chicken tikka? I always look but have not noticed anywhere? I was in Pattaya last week and there were plenty ut have not seen here.

thanks

I guess you mean Tandoori chicken since you can get chicken Tikka Masala at all or most of the Indian restaurants?? I don't know about "stalls" or "carts" but the guy at Kalare food center has a Tandoori oven and makes Tandoori chicken. I normally would never recommend the Kalare Food Center but it seems as though there has been a recent change and now another guy is in charge there and hence an uptick in quality. Some things are pretty good like the Saag Paneer and garlic naan (the only 2 items I've ordered there on recent occasions). I've never had the Tandoori chicken there but it does look pretty good. I'm sure some of the Indian restaurants offer it as well. I think the place at Kalare is actually Pakistani, I'm not sure.

I have not seen here. The best I have had in the area was Penang Malaysia.

Chicken Tika is chunks of chicken cubes marinated similar to tandori but it is just boneless chunks grilled.

If you find post it, because I would love to have some too.

Since it was suggested we use google, according to Wikipedia it's boneless chunks of chicken baked in a tandoor oven. There are definitely no food carts in CM with tandoor ovens! I'm shocked that there are in Pattaya. Also according to Wikipedia, there is a Punjab version that is grilled over hot coals but is often served on the bone. I've never seen that here either. I'm guessing that the OP is referring to something similar to Chicken Satay. There's an excellent version from the cart that is operated in conjunction with the restaurant on Sirimankalajarn opposite Nimman Soi 7. Many other places around town too.

Satay is generally thinly sliced and marinated in coconut milk.

This is large chunks at least 1" cubes and seasoned with the red beet juice spice mix used for many tandori recipes.

Tiki masala is different that is in a sauce.

I wish there were tandori ovens on the street stalls like Malaysia that would be awesome.

I am surprised so few here actually know what the OP wanted. I thought Chicken Tikka was a pretty common dish.

The Indian restaurant Rajdarbar, on Loi Kroh rd (on the left before the night bazar) has two versions - both tender, juicy, and absolutely succulent...

Chikken Tikka, and Chicken Malai Tikka (marinated with cream etc.)

I have had some other very good food there (including a fish tikka - fantastic chunks of fish!!!).

http://www.rajdarbarchiangmai.com/p/menu.html

• Like 1

The Indian restaurant Rajdarbar, on Loi Kroh rd (on the left before the night bazar) has two versions - both tender, juicy, and absolutely succulent...

I have had some other very good food there (including a fish tikka - fantastic chunks of fish!!!).

http://www.rajdarbar...com/p/menu.html

Yes the food there is very good. The last time I was in there the service was so bad I decided to not go back. That was quite a while ago think I will give them another try the food was outstanding. At least the part of my order I got.

"The last time I was in there the service was so bad I decided to not go back."

Me two.

john

hmmm - very different experiences to mine. In the past month, I have been there three times - once at a quiet time (empty restaurant), once for lunch (a little busy), and once for supper (quite busy).

The Thai waitress doesn't speak much English, and is a little aloof, but the food came as ordered, and promptly.

That being said, of those three meals, two were really tops, but for one meal, the curries (mushroom/mattar and Madras Chicken) were a little lack-luster.

But the tandoori stuff has been consistantly excellent. Great gobi paratha too...

Mark

Edited by wjmark

"The last time I was in there the service was so bad I decided to not go back."

Me two.

john

hmmm - very different experiences to mine. In the past month, I have been there three times - once at a quiet time (empty restaurant), once for lunch (a little busy), and once for supper (quite busy).

The Thai waitress doesn't speak much English, and is a little aloof, but the food came as ordered, and promptly.

That being said, of those three meals, two were really tops, but for one meal, the curries (mushroom/mattar and Madras Chicken) were a little lack-luster.

But the tandoori stuff has been consistantly excellent. Great gobi paratha too...

Mark

As I said it has been a while and the food was so good I am going back. When I was there they only had a waiter obviously different staff now.

Need some thing Indian had a difference of opinion with the staff at Spicy in the night bazaar and decided to pass on it until they have a change of staff.

http://www.rajdarbar...com/p/menu.html

Yes the food there is very good. The last time I was in there the service was so bad I decided to not go back. That was quite a while ago think I will give them another try the food was outstanding. At least the part of my order I got.

The chicken Tikka here is as good as what I had in Penang. I was actually surprised as I wasn't expecting much but this place is now a weekly habit. I haven't experienced bad service there myself but have only been going there for a few months since I decided to give the place a try.

That menu looks pretty good, but the prices seem a little high though. In Penang I pay equivalent of 80 baht for Chicken Tikka which is served with Daal, mint sauce, cucumber yogurt, and some fruit chutney. 30 Baht more for Garlic Naan or Chappatis.

I usually get my fill once a year in Penang, but if this place is as good it might be worth a visit but I just don't understand why things are more expensive here than they would be in Malaysai which is more expensive in everything else.

Is it just because they don't have any competition that they charge so much? Or that it is a specialty and they don't have as many Thai customers?

That menu looks pretty good, but the prices seem a little high though. In Penang I pay equivalent of 80 baht for Chicken Tikka which is served with Daal, mint sauce, cucumber yogurt, and some fruit chutney. 30 Baht more for Garlic Naan or Chappatis.

I usually get my fill once a year in Penang, but if this place is as good it might be worth a visit but I just don't understand why things are more expensive here than they would be in Malaysai which is more expensive in everything else.

Is it just because they don't have any competition that they charge so much? Or that it is a specialty and they don't have as many Thai customers?

don't know for sure but I believe their rent is really high.