I Just Joined A Led Zep Tribute Band

chonabot

Ok peeps in my spare time I am a guitarist , I love Led Zep.

Last week I joined a Led Zep tribute band in Oxfordshire.

Whoopeeeeee!

I seldom open a thread but , as Led Zep have obviously influenced Lek Carabao this thread is Thai relevant.

What is your fave Led Zep song and why ?

If you don't know any Led Zep except Stairway, please listen to at least 3 albums before voting.

I really KNOW rock music and place Zep above other Dinosaur rock bands including The Who, Stones , and all others frankly.

My Fave Zep song is The Rover , because the words and guitar break are facking mental.

If you don't know this song , please don't vote.

Btw I am 3 sheets to the wind and apologise in advance.

I have been sampling Aberlour Abundah whisky , 59.5 % cask grog... :D

I saw "The Bodyguard " with Tony Jaa last week.

Blimimn good film. ( Espesh the bit with Samart Payakaroon , Kaokor et al )

:D:D:D:D:D:o:D:D

Edited by chonabot

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chonabotdude, The Dude has a suggestion for this thread; make it a top 10 best of Zep list due to the massive # of great tunes that they have. I find it impossible to single one song only. As a tribute to you starting a solid thread like this, I will listen to The Rover while adding my top 10. I have a lot of shovels to hand out for digging the great Led Zeppelin, a band I have seen live on 3 occasions. The Dude's puter has 114 Zep tunes on it, far and away the most of any band, that's 11 1/2 hours of the great band covering all 8 studio LPs, 2 Live LPs and various bootleg versions. I have 3 different versions of The Rover for example; the studio track and 2 Live boots. I suppose that would fill up the better part of a great MP3. Can Dig

1. The Lemon Song---it's something about the middle of this 6 minute song that is really cranking. Be sure to play at ultra high volume for max effect. Off Led Zeppelin II

2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You---another 6 minute+ track. This cranker is off the 1st Zep LP, Led Zeppelin I. The pounding drums, powerful vocals and guitars force me to place this one on the list.

3. Rock and Roll---off the classic 4th LP, Led Zeppelin IV. A 4 min. overplayed track which causes the listener to shake and bob his head around from start to finish. What a song

4. Stairway to Heaven---an 8 minute song of Led Zeppelin IV. OK so it's the most overplayed song in the history of Led Zeppelin, if not the history of Rock music. This fact doesn't take away from the fact that the song epitomizes greatness. It's a powerful track that was the climax of all great live Zep shows. The song starts slow and builds to a wild cranking peak. Crank it loud

5. Ten Years Gone---6 1/2 minute song of the Double LP Physical Graffiti (1975), perhaps the best Zep LP (or perhaps not). A great song that Zep featured on their 1977 tour with John Paul Jones playing a triple necker guitar.

6. Hey Hey What Can I do---Here's the song without an album. It was the B side of the single Immigrant Song and is a classic track that has seen a decent amount of airplay. We used to crank this one out. I think we had it on a cassette recorded off the radio. We would play it over and over and really dig it. I'm sure it's on the box set

7. Good Times Bad Times---The short poppy opening track to Zep's 1st LP. This tune set the tone for the next 10 years with great baseline, vocals, guitar and drums

8. Tangerine---mentioned by Tiz Me, good choice. off the acoustic led zeppelin III

9. When the Levee Breaks---A great New Orleans song here off Zep IV

10. That's the Way---another great acoustic track off Zeppelin III

First concert I ever went to was Led Zep at Knebworth in 79.My Dad took me,I was 13.

Got befriended by a really old hippy chick (she was 26!!!). --<<can't talk about that here(mod)>>--

Still got a thing for hippy chicks to this day.

Zeppelin shared the bill with those other giants of rock Chas and Dave.

Could never figure that one out.

It was an amazing weekend, and ill always remember hearing the riff to Kashmir for the first time so that gets my vote.

Other greats:

Since Ive been loving you:

Planty singing like a scolded cat.

Nobodys fault but mine.

Babe Im gonna leave you.

Communication breakdown.

Wve got a good local tribute band round here called Fred Zeppelin.Rob Plant has seen them a couple of times.

Its good to get a bit of live Zep every now and then.

Edited by cdnvic

First  concert I ever went to was Led Zep at Knebworth in 79.My Dad took me,I was 13.

I got to see Page and Plant in Denver late 90's, it was an incredible experience. :o

Sure it wasnt Led Zepplin, but it was better than nothing.

Kind of hypnotic when Plant starts doing his vocal solos, unlike the YES vocal solos that kind of made me want a nap.

I Can't Quit You Babe and Khasmir are great examples of their work.

Communication Breakdown is pretty raw stuff. And I like the way Plant does the vocals in Your Time is Gonna Come. Hey anyone like Boogie with Stu? It was kind of funky.

I was at the 1st of the Knebworth shows in Aug of '79 and warm up bands included Todd Rundgren and Commander Cody. They did not play "Babe I'm gonna Leave You" at this show or at the 1979 shows that I saw. As far as I know, that song hadn't been done live for 10 years. The 2nd and final Knebworth show included "The New Barbarians" as a warm up. That bad included Rolling Stones great Keith Richards. While the Knebworth show was a solid show, it could not compare with the unbelieveable greatness of the June 1977 shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Zep would never again match up to the Live greatness exhibited during the '77 tour; something was missing during that summer of '79 Woodstock-like festival. The intimacy of an MSG sized arena alone can make for a far better live concert experience. That summer of 1977 was perhaps one of the greatest concert summers ever as Pink Floyd played MSG on July 4th, follwed by ELP the 7th-10th, Zep was June 7-14 (6 shows), Yes was around in August as well but did not play the garden. As for the Page-Plant tour in the late 90s, forgetabouttit, it sucked. Well I shouldn't say that it sucked but it was pretty lousy and should not be mentioned in the same breath with zep '77

I Can't Quit You Babe and Khasmir are great examples of their work.

Communication Breakdown is pretty raw stuff. And I like the way Plant does the vocals in Your Time is Gonna Come.  Hey anyone like Boogie with Stu?  It was kind of funky.

I was just listening to all 3 of those tunes today dude. I love that side of Physical Graffiti with Boogie w/ Stu, Black Country Woman and Sick Again. Your Time is Gonna Come and Communication Breakdown are classics that narrowly missed my top 10 list. Come to think of it, Boogie with Stu was a finalist also. That's why I was listening to them. I dig em all with a back hoe.

I find the 1st album very interesting (your time, comm. breakdown, good times bad times, dazed) in that the writing was done by Paul Jones and Page, save the Willie Dixon tracks. Plant is not credited on the album. From Zep II forward, Plant writes most of the lyrics. So what you find on that 1st LP is a huge John Paul Jones influence, which makes the tunes unique and quite solidly diggable

Edited by The Dude

Jimmy Page was the reason, I started playing guitar (along with Ace Frehley...very different I know but I was 13 yrs old!)..Also the reason I love Les Pauls'...Although he recorded most of the guitar for the most popular songs on a Telecaster which he got from Jeff Beck. One of the times I was lucky enough to speak to P' Lek about guitar geek stuff, he asked me what are your influences...Jimmy Page...He had a big smile on his face...P'Mee on the other hand is largely influenced by Lynnyrd Skynnyrd and is a huge Atlanta fan and Duane Allman afficionado...When his brother and him sit down and play old blues on the Dobro...WOW! As a tribute band, you will have to do the obvious numbers such as,

1. Rock n roll

2. Black Dog

3. Heartbreaker

4. Whole lotta love

Although they are always played by Bar bands, they are a must for any tribute band, however the next numbers are pure gems as well;

1. The Ocean from Houses of the Holy....One of the most awesome riffs in history with an odd signature time...Excellent track!

2. Kashmir amazing but in weird tuning(DADGAD) if you have several guitars for the set..definetely have a stab at it...

3. Since I've been loving you This is one of my all time favourites....the soft intro rolling off the volume..playing with the volume and alternating pick up selection..then bringing it back up ....pure magic...

4.Over the hills and far away The clean part is so smooth and very mid-evilesque....then it rips into this riff....very good track but for live might need second guitarist to switch between acoustic or electric clean with a touch of chorus or two necked Gibson SG( there is one for sale in Bangkok!)...and distorted.

5. Bring it on Home I have never seen anyone cover that song live...another reason to try it...

6. Communication Breakdown..just because it is fun to play! Good for starting the set....

7. The rain song smooth....but again in alternate tuning...it would be good for live setting to reduce tension and momentum....

8. Immigrant song...shivers down the spine....timeless riff....one of many from the Pagey...

9. Moby DIck I think the drummer will most probably request this one...so might as well put it in there...

Where and when are you going to play?

. They did not play "Babe I'm gonna Leave You" at this show or at the 1979 shows that I saw. As far as I know, that song hadn't been done live for 10 years.

If your refering to my post Dude ,I never said they played it.

It was Kashmir I was refering to.

HELLO AUGHIE

ASI QUE HABLAS ESPAÑOL...QUE BIEN! ( So you can speak spanish...yes!)

indeed there are many led zep good hits but I really like that one...

*incalclickable yu are very welcome...is a good song :o

Edited by Glauka

In my time of dying.

On a few occasions when I should have died through excess drugs or/and booze for example - trying to swim across the River Ness in February, I would listen to that song and thank my lucky stars.

I used to love LZ, but now i don't listen to them.

Why not d/l a few tracks and get back into 'em Boss? :o

Thanks for all input so far I am impressed with your choices and reasoning , the Dude gives an insight into why people dig the Band even to this day.

Heres my Top 20 , and my band play all of these tracks :D

The Rover ( already mentioned )

Sick Again

Lemon Song

Nobody's fault but mine

Since I've been loving you

Tea for one

All of my love

When the Levee Breaks

Custard Pie

The Wanton Song

Over the Hills and Far away

What is and what should never be

Celebration Day

Achilles last stand

Whole Lotta Love

Babe I'm gonna leave you

I can't quit you Babe

D'yer Maker

Kashmir

In the Evening

:D

Why not d/l a few tracks and get back into 'em Boss? :D

Thanks for all input so far I am impressed with your choices and reasoning , the Dude gives an insight into why people dig the Band even to this day.

Heres my Top 20 , and my band play all of these tracks :D

The Rover ( already mentioned )

Sick Again

Lemon Song

Nobody's fault but mine

Since I've been loving you

Tea for one

All of my love

When the Levee Breaks

Custard Pie

The Wanton Song

Over the Hills and Far away

What is and what should never be

Celebration Day

Achilles last stand

Whole Lotta Love

Babe I'm gonna leave you

I can't quit you Babe

D'yer Maker

Kashmir

In the Evening

:D

where are you playing I would love to see want of your concerts... :D

:o

The Dude will add a few more great Zep tracks to the list

1. I'm Gonna Crawl---Off the last Zep LP "In Through the Out Door" circa 1979. Great Plant vocals and screams

2. Down by the Seaside---Off Physical, a countryesque Zep tune feat. JPJ

3. The Battle of Evermore---Zep IV---played live in '77 with tremendous background vocal help from JPJ

4. Ramble On----Zep II. Can't believe that this one hasn't been mentioned. What a song!!

5. Misty Mountain Hop---Zep IV

6. In The Light----Physical, great track

7. Heartbreaker/Livin' lovin' Maid----Zep II, nuf said

8. For Your Life---finally a Presence song mentioned by The Dude, great LP great tune. Nobody's fault also killer track as is Achilles

9. Southbound Suarez/Fool in the Rain----Why not give the last LP its due?

10. Dancing Days---haven't given Houses it due. great song