Opening A Jerk Chicken Stall/Shack!

Love jerk chicken but not sure you would find traction in the market here.

I think it could work in Pattaya with the right marketing/image.

Is thinking Pattaya is not short of jerks already.............

You are what you eat so there must already be a built in market with pent up demand for days! Edited by Jingthing

Popeye tried to open in Bangkok over 10 years ago. Thais just don't like beans etc.

Completely different, not the same in the slightest..

Right. As different as borscht

You're probably right but I wish there was a Popeye's Chicken still here. KFC is significantly worse than its American conterpart. Popeye's is where the Brothers used to go and they know chicken. Good side dishes too.

Popeye tried to open in Bangkok over 10 years ago. Thais just don't like beans etc.

You're probably right but I wish there was a Popeye's Chicken still here. KFC is significantly worse than its American conterpart. Popeye's is where the Brothers used to go and they know chicken. Good side dishes too.

Actually, the hottest food trend in fried chicken these days is still KFC, but not Kentucky, KOREAN!

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

I have to admit I used to like Popeyes and their sides, but it is seriously the greasiest-assed fried chicken on the planet.

Edited by Jingthing

Well you really do learn something new every day. Until seeing this thread I had never heard of jerk chicken. After noting some of the complimentary things said about it I used google to find/read the wikipedia entry and others. Certainly sounds tasty ... would like to try it sometime. Can you buy any of the jars of pre-mix powders or pastes here in LOS?

Bruce,

I've never seen it anywhere in Asia, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that you can't make your own jerk marinade. In the US, my favorite is Walker's Woods. If you'd like, I can bring back a jar next time I'm there, but that won't be for several months.

btw, buying pre-made jerk mix is no different than buying pre-made Thai curry mix rather than making your own from scratch.

They have jerk chicken marinade in TOPS I keep wanting to buy but it's an acquired taste and a bit spicy of unknown strength which may not go over too well with the rest of the family..

I was partial to Chicken Treat

KFC is significantly worse than its American conterpart.

LRB, If you visit Australia then you better stay away from KFC ... as I think the KFC in Thailand is significantly better than it is there ... dry and stringy on the inside but oily on the outside .... how do they do that?