Penang Hotels Near The Royal Thai Consulate

I will shortly be going to Penang for my first time to obtain a Multy Entry O Visa on the grounds of marriage. Can anyone please advise me of any reasonably priced hotels near the consulate. I have heard of the Swiss Hotel but do not know exactly where it is.

I have also been informed that there is a bloke called Mr Manaff who will do all the admin for the visa. Has anyone used him before and what is his fee?

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

I'm afraid there are no hotels near the Thai consulate as it is located a bit outside of town. The Swiss Hotel that you mentioned I think is located on Chulia street. It's kind of a backpacker type place, as are many in that area, and if you're not real fussy will be ok for a couple of nights. If you have a bit more mnney to spend then check out the Hotel Malaysia, email: [email protected] or the Citel, email:

[email protected], website:www.cititel.com.my. Both are located not far from the Swiss Hotel on Penang Road. It is easy to get to the Thai consolate from downtown by bus, which you can catch from in front of the Swiss Hotel.

I have just returned frm Penang and found the whole process very easy providing you take all the relevant paperwork.

I used Mr Manff who was very good and efficient.I told him the visa i required in advance and he told me what i would need.The visa for a 12 month non o was 550 including his fee.

I stayed at Th Ho Ping Hotel which was 58 ringgits a night for a comfortable room with TV and Air con.

Make sure you get a street facing room as you will get the wailing over the loudspeakers at various times of the day.

Good luck

I will shortly be going to Penang for my first time to obtain a Multy Entry O Visa on the grounds of marriage. Can anyone please advise me of any reasonably priced hotels near the consulate. I have heard of the Swiss Hotel but do not know exactly where it is.

I have also been informed that there is a bloke called Mr Manaff who will do all the admin for the visa. Has anyone used him before and what is his fee?

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Sorry i forgot to add if the swiss hotel is the one i think it his you seem to get hookers plying their trade outside at night.i would avoid it.

Also the visa was 500R which means Mr Manaffs fee was 50R for his work well worth it.

His number +60164554851

There's not really much accomodation out near the consulate. Your best bet is Chulia St.

The Cititel is quite good but being high season would be 120- 150 ringit (1500 baht) per night.

The Swiss hotel is a bit of a dive , but if you go directly over the road, there is a hotel with rooms above a restaurant for around 30-35 ringit with air-con and next door to that you will see an entrance gate to a larger hotel that is sort of behind the restaurant that has air-con rooms with hot shower for about the same price.

Its not quite the same as Thailand. Chulia St. is full of older style chinese hotels in the 20-50 ringit price range. Some of them are a bit rough but if you have a look around you can find something neat and clean.

If you want better than this you really have to go up to the 3 and 4 star places in the Cititel price range.

• 3 years later...
Hi

Does anybody know the current price for one year non-imm 'O' visa in Penang? I am off down there soon and need to sort out my budget.

many thanks

Steve

Visa 550 ringit, about 5500 baht.

You'll save money using a agent on Chulia street.

Taxi to the consulate two times costs more then their fee.

My favorite: jimsplace

When going to Penang for a Visa, I stay at the Mingood Hotel, Argyl Rd. thats just a short walk form Chulia Rd and Penang Rd.

I use the Reception from the Hotel for Visa Service, cost is 30 Ringit for the Service. I dont have to go to a Agent and can wait till my Passport and Visa is delivered in the Hotel next day 2pm. Only thing to do is to sign the application papers when checking in. Cant be bothered to look out for a Visa Agent at Chulia Rd and have to go an pick my Passport up.

Hotel is basic but clean, around 25 USD a night. Big room and free Internet and very nice people working at the Reception.