True Move 3G Wireless Air Card

temo1051

Well ive tried talking to some one at TRUE about my 3 hour disconnection problem, I'm sure the operator thought I was making it up, a bit like talking to a 5 year old child in a school playground , so not too sure what to try next , still no return phone call from the CAT technical engineer biggrin.png .

I'll run it in a future Live Wire column in the Gazette. Not sure that'll draw anyone's attention, but it'll make me feel better.

I still haven't seen any response from TOT about the article showing their international speeds are all the same, whether you're using a cheap 5 Mbps line or an expensive Fiber 2U 20 Mbps line.

Did we ever find out if the other people posting on this thread are in Phuket, or in Bangkok - or elsewhere?

OK. You got me.

What's the difference between TrueMove 3G and TrueMove H? True has separate Facebook pages for each....

AFAIK, there's only one TrueMove network, and it's HSPA+. Did I miss something?

Evidently, yes. wink.png

TrueMove is a subsidiary of True Corp. which sells GSM mobile telephony services including voice, text and data (now just 2G). Previously they sold 3G data in some select metropolitan areas. TrueMove H is a brand name for RealMove, another subsidiary of True Corp., a reseller of 3G data services. They do bundle legacy GSM voice, data along with 3G for customers. The network which TrueMove H sells services on is also marketed by CAT to customers under the My (Net) brand.

post-9615-0-56531900-1329119579_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

temo1051, you seem to be an active trader in the financial markets (at least thats what the trading setup in your pic tells me). i´m an active cme futures trader myself, living in pattaya. do you actively trade through your 3g internet connection? is that connection reliable enough, any other problems besides the disconnect every three hours?

temo1051, you seem to be an active trader in the financial markets (at least thats what the trading setup in your pic tells me). i´m an active cme futures trader myself, living in pattaya. do you actively trade through your 3g internet connection? is that connection reliable enough, any other problems besides the disconnect every three hours?

patayamarc, I trade US stocks, etfs and futures using the TOS platform. I havent tried the 3g connection with my multi-monitor system which is at my home in Lop Buri where I have a TOT 5mb ADSL connection that works very well. I have used the 3G connection on my laptop at my Bangkok apartment and other than the 3 hour disconnect issue the connection was acceptable to view charts and data and execute trades. The CNBC feed was sometimes choppy if I had my email, browser and tweetdeck running.

Evidently, yes. wink.png

TrueMove is a subsidiary of True Corp. which sells GSM mobile telephony services including voice, text and data (now just 2G). Previously they sold 3G data in some select metropolitan areas. TrueMove H is a brand name for RealMove, another subsidiary of True Corp., a reseller of 3G data services. They do bundle legacy GSM voice, data along with 3G for customers. The network which TrueMove H sells services on is also marketed by CAT to customers under the My (Net) brand.

Got it. Thanks!

Does anyone have any recent experiences with this network disconnect issue?

Is is still happening at 2:59: Have TrueMove H or Vat My offered any response(s)?

Funny you asking this now , yesterday for the first time since I started using my CAT 3G '' my'' unlimited SIM , the connection did not automatically terminate after a 3 hour period

Screenshot2012-03-05at71456AM.jpg

it stayed connected for more than 8 hours duration , until I personally disconnected the connection .

The downside seems that the longer the duration of the continuous connection , the over all connection speeds deteriorate .

I'm going to keep an eye on the connection durations / over all speed performance , just to see if this longer connection duration was possibly a one off .

Thanks. Which SIM/Plan are you using?

my Click 590

Screenshot2012-01-30at15456PM-2.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

After yesterdays 8 hour continuous connection duration, when I re connected to day the overall speed performance / web page loading times seems to have deteriorated . To day as yet ive not reached the past 3 hour disconnection time , it will be interesting to see if I get disconnected again to day

• 1 month later...

OK, some good news and some bad news - but first some information.

The old 3G "True Move" network was allocated to the 1800Mhz spectrum and I was advised yesterday that it has been discontinued (in Pattaya) for the last 2 months. Connections are still possible but there will be speed limitations

The new "True Move H" is their latest attempt at bringing Thai internet connections into the 21st century and operates on the 850Mhz band.

All of their plans have a limitation with the 3G component at high speed and I am currently on a 5GB package at 7.2Mbps (555) which will drop to either 384k or 128k (cant get a sensible answer yet) afeer the 5GB. They are NOT unlimited plans at the high speed.

If anyone knows at GENUINE UNLIMITED plan please tell me as I have frequent high traffic usage. The speed is OK but I can chew through 5GB in a single session (see below)

As for the session disconnections I am experiencing dropouts at 9h:59m, even when the connection is actively transferring data - ouch. Effectively they've stopped me consuming my 5GB in one session but it doesn't help when I have to restart huge uploads/downloads.

So it looks like someone heard the complaints, just upped the time limit hoping that no-one is silly enough to stay connected for 10hrs. Great in theory but as a software developer and web host it's a bloody pain in the neck.

Cheers Admiral Ken

• 3 weeks later...

it stayed connected for more than 8 hours duration , until I personally disconnected the connection .

@Thailife- Are you able to connect for longer than 9h:59m, with Cat 3G ?

As for the session disconnections I am experiencing dropouts at 9h:59m, even when the connection is actively transferring data - ouch.

@AdmiralKen, Any further updates with the dropout using TrueMove H ?

Also; I do wonder if these 3G connections are reliable during thunderstorms like we had on Tuesday.

Edited by RandomSand

Thanks. Which SIM/Plan are you using?

my Click 590

Screenshot2012-01-30at15456PM-2.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

After yesterdays 8 hour continuous connection duration, when I re connected to day the overall speed performance / web page loading times seems to have deteriorated . To day as yet ive not reached the past 3 hour disconnection time , it will be interesting to see if I get disconnected again to day

ThaiLife,

do you want to say that your CAT my Click 590 package is an UNLIMITED package? High speed never gets capped? Sounds unbelievable! What dongle do you use!

Greetings from www.ourpalazzina.eu

...so far no luck in finding any 3 hour disconnecting comments , surely there must be others out there with the same problem.

Chances are good that if other people are getting disconnects at 3 hours, they don't realize that they're being disconnected. All that I notice is that I have to reset my iPad.

Which reminds me... I was going to ask... how do you know that you're getting disconnected? It's unusual to have connection-intensive apps running over wireless lines - although it certainly does happen. Are you getting a notification from your Vodaphone software? Or are you running an app that requires continuous connection?

Woody , I use the Vodafone desktop connections manager , that shows the state of the connection Etc

Screenshot2012-02-10at31247PM.jpg

Where could I down load this Vodafone Desktop Connections Manager? It looks really interesting!

...so far no luck in finding any 3 hour disconnecting comments , surely there must be others out there with the same problem.

Chances are good that if other people are getting disconnects at 3 hours, they don't realize that they're being disconnected. All that I notice is that I have to reset my iPad.

Which reminds me... I was going to ask... how do you know that you're getting disconnected? It's unusual to have connection-intensive apps running over wireless lines - although it certainly does happen. Are you getting a notification from your Vodaphone software? Or are you running an app that requires continuous connection?

Woody , I use the Vodafone desktop connections manager , that shows the state of the connection Etc

Screenshot2012-02-10at31247PM.jpg

Where could I down load this Vodafone Desktop Connections Manager? It looks really interesting!

The software came on a CD with the USB Air Card , may be have a look here

http://www.business..../p_software.jsp

• 1 month later...

I have had the Cat my click 590 package for about 7 weeks now. The first 6 weeks i never had a cap on the speed, and downloaded over 251GB. But now they have capped my speed to 384kbs, and its slower than edge thats if it connects to the interrnet at all. So i am thinking of canceling it as a 4gb limit is of no use to anyone fast speed for what! you cant download anything with that limit.

I have had the Cat my click 590 package for about 7 weeks now. The first 6 weeks i never had a cap on the speed, and downloaded over 251GB. But now they have capped my speed to 384kbs, and its slower than edge thats if it connects to the interrnet at all. So i am thinking of canceling it as a 4gb limit is of no use to anyone fast speed for what! you cant download anything with that limit.

You won't find better anywhere else!

It's unfortunatley the nature of those mobile connections. Everywhere in the world you will find those caps.

Basically the problem is, that unlike with wired internet (cable, dsl, ...) where the provider just can keep adding cables, distribution boxes etc. to keep up with bandwidth demands, when a mobile operator maxes out his allotted frequency spectrum, then that is it...short of upgrading to newer technology that is.

If they give truly unlimited internet, and all users start torrenting etc non stop, the system will grind to a halt very soon.

Now people realize they are capped, so their usage stays in check.

This said, their capped speed should perform as advertised. On AIS it downloads rock solid at over 40 kBps, close to the advertised 384 kbps after hitting the cap.

Hardly noticable when surfing, youtube is out of course unless you're very patient.

But you're still getting over 200 MB per hour, or over 5 GB in a 24 hour period if you so wish.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

@ Monty i understand what you are saying, and i could accept speeds of 40kbs. But my speeds now are from 0.04-16.0kbs which renders the internet useless. I rang Cat call centre and they virtually said what you get is what you get. The only other solution i have where i live is TOT fiber 2u, they want me to have 15/2 package which is a bit pricey also i dont know how good it will be as i will be the only person on it in my village.

@ Monty i understand what you are saying, and i could accept speeds of 40kbs. But my speeds now are from 0.04-16.0kbs which renders the internet useless. I rang Cat call centre and they virtually said what you get is what you get. The only other solution i have where i live is TOT fiber 2u, they want me to have 15/2 package which is a bit pricey also i dont know how good it will be as i will be the only person on it in my village.

Can't be worse then 3g, and no caps...

Then again :D

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

FYI, True appear to have changed their minds again as to what their fair use limit is.

Previously, it was 384kbps despite different figures on all of their media (384Mbps on the English site, 128Kbps on the Thai site, 256Kbps if you send a 'b' to 9789).

Now, it is 128Kbps - at least on the 3Gb+ (unlimited, b799) plan.

I usually use the b899 5Gb+ plan (and get 384Kbps fair use) but my credit was short and I couldn't be bothered driving into town. Was horrified to find myself clamped to 128Kbps after 3Gb which for me, is practically unuseable.

I have another device with a true chip in it so out of curiosity, I subscribed to the 49 baht daily plan. 140Mb was used in minutes after which it dropped to 384Kbps. So whatever they've applied as fair use is NOT consistent across their various packages. I don't know yet if they've applied this 128k limit only to their 3Gb+ package, or also to their 5Gb+ and10Gb+ packages.

So i am thinking of canceling it as a 4gb limit is of no use to anyone fast speed for what! you cant download anything with that limit.

????

You can download almost 100Gb a month with a 384k limit. I think what you mean is "cant download anything with that limit" if you're not prepared to wait a few hours or do your downloads overnight.

If the reason you're using My CAT is because you're in an area with no access to a cheap fixed line, then seriously - consider yourself very lucky. CAT's 4Gb/384Kbps 599 baht package is currently the best value for money you will get anywhere. You'd be hard pushed to find many places in the world offering a better 3G deal than that.

So i am thinking of canceling it as a 4gb limit is of no use to anyone fast speed for what! you cant download anything with that limit.

????

You can download almost 100Gb a month with a 384k limit. I think what you mean is "cant download anything with that limit" if you're not prepared to wait a few hours or do your downloads overnight.

If the reason you're using My CAT is because you're in an area with no access to a cheap fixed line, then seriously - consider yourself very lucky. CAT's 4Gb/384Kbps 599 baht package is currently the best value for money you will get anywhere. You'd be hard pushed to find many places in the world offering a better 3G deal than that.

If you had read my other post i said i would be happy if i got 384Kbs, but i dont get anywhere near that. Most of the time its between 1.4 - 4.5Kbs with bursts up to 16Kbs which makes the internet unuseable after my 4Gb. Don't know why they don't do a package where you drop down to cdma speeds afterall they are using the same towers.

Sorry Russ, I got the wrong end of the stick, thought you were moaning about the 384k...

Assuming your speeds are fine before your 4Gb expires, then their bandwidth manager ISN'T giving you 384kbps for some reason. Could it be, that CAT are now limiting their fair-use speeds to 64kbps or 128kbps rather than 384kbps?

Couldn't agree more that at your speeds, internet is pretty much unusable. Hell, I'm stuck on 128k right now and that's what I consider unuseable (I measure usability by how often I get the urge to fling the laptop across the room in frustration)...

Since you clearly don't have a connection problem (happy with the speeds up to 4Gb) I'd be inclined to suggest yelling at CAT as to why your post fair-use speeds are crap...

@ Bobi i called Cat call centre and they said nothing wrong with the network and didn't wont to know about my speeds. I have put a Ais sim in my router now and using Edge, getting speeds of about 30Kbs which is acceptable for web browsing. And as i said before the only other alternative is TOT fiber 2u but the initial set up is 11000bt and then 2500bt a month.

I think the way CAT operates is beyond sad... Cat is to ISP as Antichrist is to Christ... Outside the metropolitan areas they have (had?) the best coverage by far with CDMA - even until today, in many rural areas where the others haven't bothered to roll out 3G towers yet and there's no chance of a TOT or 3BB hardline, they were the only option for decent speed, unmetered internet. Yet they seem determined to switch it off at the end of the year. As long ago as October last year I spent a few very frustrating visits trying to get a CDMA line out of them. I could live with the fact that they only did postpaid (in God's name, WHY??!) and that it was likely to be switched off sometime - but they just weren't interested. That's how I ended up on True-H (after an unsuccessful attempt at getting a postpaid My CAT chip) which I've been comfortable with, until this week when they started limiting it to 128k...

My next option now, I guess, is to try again to get a My CAT chip - since they're still advertising fair use speeds of 384k. However your experience with that is not encouraging...

I'd give my left nut to be able to install a TOT fiber2u here, even at that price...